SOUTH of YOU

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Lake County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
    No city in the county is large enough to be on the Census page lol. Two Harbors has the largest population at 3745 people.Then there is Ely 3,460 and Silver bay 1877.

Total land area 2,109.29 sq miles,subtract the city square miles 2091. Subtract the city populations from 10,824,and 1742 are left in that 2091 SQ miles.
    There are a few other "cities" like Finland with a population of 198 and 1 sq mile of "city".
    If you head north from my house to Canada you will hit 3 gravel roads and one paved one(on the border).
    Wear good boots,98 miles of superior national forest between here and there.

Grunt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have fond memories of experiencing -135 degree (with windchill) temperatures while at military mountaineering school in the Alaskan Interior in January 1990. The temp that day was -40 with a heck of a wind. We were skiing that day. The snowfall was severe that season and the moose were coming down from the higher elevations. We debated which end of the moose do we pass while skiing if we found ourselves close to them. The consensus was to aim to pass them on their rear end side in case they spooked and bolted forward.

We were by no means proficient at skiing and were learning and practicing that day. Moose were on the slopes, it was blizzard conditions, and we were freezing our asses off (this was in the era before Gortex and polypropylene) when we stopped moving. As longed as we moved, it wasn't bad at all except for the area around the eyes.

The thing I remember most about that day was the sensation that my eyeballs were going to flash freeze. They actually hurt as I was skiing. I tried wearing the military style goggles but these would fog immediately and could not be used, so I just dealt with it. All in all it was a fun day.

Later that year in August during Operation Desert Shield I experienced the extreme other end of the temperature spectrum when I was in recorded temperatures of 127 degrees in Saudi.

Last edited:

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Out of the icebox in to the fire

I have fond memories of experiencing -135 degree (with windchill) temperatures while at military mountaineering school in the Alaskan Interior in January 1990. The temp that day was -40 with a heck of a wind. We were skiing that day. The snowfall was severe that season and the moose were coming down from the higher elevations. We debated which end of the moose do we pass while skiing if we found ourselves close to them. The consensus was to aim to pass them on their rear end side in case they spooked and bolted forward.

We were by no means proficient at skiing and were learning and practicing that day. Moose were on the slopes, it was blizzard conditions, and we were freezing our asses off (this was in the era before Gortex and polypropylene) when we stopped moving. As longed as we moved, it wasn't bad at all except for the area around the eyes.

The thing I remember most about that day was the sensation that my eyeballs were going to flash freeze. They actually hurt as I was skiing. I tried wearing the military style goggles but these would fog immediately and could not be used, so I just dealt with it. All in all it was a fun day.

Later that year in August during Operation Desert Shield I experienced the extreme other end of the temperature spectrum when I was in recorded temperatures of 127 degrees in Saudi.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    My record not far from there was -49F. I am talking record cold I ever camped in. If a Moose farts the windchill from that will kill you before the Moose does. -100 below windchill also makes a person think twice before he whips anything out. Seeing sweat freeze on your face is wild. Cracking off chunks of frozen hair leaves you looking kind of psycho when you thaw. Crossing water in temps 10+ is interesting.

Names like Death Valley and Frozen Tundra have real meaning once you spend time in either or both. That being said I prefer wolves and wolverines to scorpions and snakes.

Indiana Winter is dangerous due to being so humid and wet. I will take 10 degrees, clear and cold over 33 and raining. Hunting in Indiana all day on wet November and December days is great practice. Or as I am known to have said once in a lodge in Southern Indiana. We can sit here all day hoping it stops raining, we can leave now and go spend more time with the In-laws or we can hunt in the rain. It truly pays to prep.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Then we won't post any of the Cold Nightmares because those will make you move South.

:lmfao:
    I spent a yr in FL going to school and I WILL NEVER STEP FOOT IN THAT HELL HOLE AGAIN !
    Nothing personel to you guys/gals that enjoy that climate

I will stick to what I know, IN

That Arctic circle-Siberia-N Korea cold no thanks

But I will/am make moves to prepare for it better with some of the info from the vid

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    :lmfao:
    I spent a yr in FL going to school and I WILL NEVER STEP FOOT IN THAT HELL HOLE AGAIN !
    Nothing personel to you guys/gals that enjoy that climate

I will stick to what I know, IN

That Arctic circle-Siberia-N Korea cold no thanks

But I will/am make moves to prepare for it better with some of the info from the vid
    Check out my weather 10 Day Weather Forecast for Miami - weather.com

Top Bottom