• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coltsfan33

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    Greenfield
    As I was sitting in class today, I'm a student at Ball State, I was running different scenarios through my head on what if a lunatic walked into the classroom I was in with a gun and opened fire. I was thinking about my position that I was sitting, Toward the back of the class next to a buddy, with everyone else in front of us and the door in the front as well. The room is nothing but a death trap if this sort of event was to happen. I would probably try and take cover behind a bolted down table that can't be flipped and hope this idiot some how runs out of ammo before he got to me. And as being on the 3rd floor of the building it would probably take a while for UPD to show up and do a damn thing.

I know some of you would say start carrying on campus but its to risky as I live in on campus housing, and am very blessed that my parents are able and willing to pay for my schooling. Don't want to get expelled and have all that ruined.

This was just a thought in class today and thought I would share it with you all.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I know some of you would say start carrying on campus but its to risky as I live in on campus housing, and am very blessed that my parents are able and willing to pay for my schooling. Don't want to get expelled and have all that ruined.

This was just a thought in class today and thought I would share it with you all.

It's sobering when you consider that these all-too-common college policies place your educational and survival goals at odds.

Unfortunately, it will also fall to your parents to pay for your funeral if you get killed in that victim zone and have all that ruined.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Baseballs can knock someone out or even kill them, if you stop a school shooting with a baseball they will ban guns and make us carry balls!

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I won't say whether I carried to class or not (I'm still planning on going back to Graduate School) :): But I will say, I lived off campus and paid for school myself, so the possible consequences from by decision would be fully on my own shoulders. This makes any decision slightly easier to make, but it's still a hard one. It had never occurred to me about baseballs, but seems like it could possibly be an alternative. However, if you miss that first throw, or it doesn't disorient the shooter, you're surely the next target... just something to think about.

Slightly off topic, but I'll share anyway. I carried a knife to class everyday. One that clipped to the front pocket of my pants, so it was very visible and noticeable that it was a knife. No one ever said anything. I even had a professor ask if anyone had a knife he could use to open a package for an experiment/demonstration. Everyone looked around puzzled as to why he would think anyone would have a knife on them in class. After I realized he was serious, I raised my hand and let him use it. Everyone turns around with a shocked look on their face and see me handing it to him in the back row.

It was pretty funny seeing them look shocked. I figured I'd get a call or email regarding it if anyone in the class said anything, but I never did. I read in the student handbook that no bladed weapons were allowed on campus, but who knows what they consider a "weapon." I think of a knife as a tool. But that's a knife. A firearm, that's a completely different story.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    As I was sitting in class today, I'm a student at Ball State, I was running different scenarios through my head on what if a lunatic walked into the classroom I was in with a gun and opened fire. I was thinking about my position that I was sitting, Toward the back of the class next to a buddy, with everyone else in front of us and the door in the front as well. The room is nothing but a death trap if this sort of event was to happen. I would probably try and take cover behind a bolted down table that can't be flipped and hope this idiot some how runs out of ammo before he got to me. And as being on the 3rd floor of the building it would probably take a while for UPD to show up and do a damn thing.

I know some of you would say start carrying on campus but its to risky as I live in on campus housing, and am very blessed that my parents are able and willing to pay for my schooling. Don't want to get expelled and have all that ruined.

You said it yourself.

Hell - When I went to Junior High and High school, I was carrying around things that were not only against the rules, but definitely against the law.

Going to college in a free state where its NOT against the law to carry a gun into your own classroom. :rockwoot:

I mean - WOW -
    You have to understand how lucky you are in the first place compared to a lot of poor bastards out there who couldn't even contemplate doing it because of how illegal it is.

Sure would be a bummer to explain getting kicked out to your parents though. :rolleyes:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Mace, knife, collapsible baton in the backpack... You do have options. None of them as effective as a firearm, but options none the less.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    in my junior year of HS i had precision machining (best class ever) we were told that if there is ever a shooting to stay in the classroom and not to go into the shop even though there were doors leading outside in the shop. even though we could have got in trouble for adopting a new active shooter plan we did any way. our plan was to have the two biggest guys in the class to wait by the door with a decent length of round stock (i think a 2 foot piece of 1.5" 4140 could wear a bad guy out) and wack the BG as he came in then i or the teacher (the only ones familiar with guns) would take his gun and shoot the bad guy and proceed to clear the back exit through the shop and get outside. This was quite the elaborate plan and probably wouldn't work, since i would be haulin a$$ out the back doors and to my house, but it was better than hanging out in the room waiting to be shot and sounded a bit more exciting.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    If my daughter was kicked out of school for carrying against the rules at a school that I was paying for, I would be happy that she was protecting herself and work with her on better ways to conceal at her next school.

NBLSVL.EDC.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    I carried to class a few times. IWB in the small of my back.

It was very easy during the winter months to conceal, and as long as you don't make it obvious, no one would ever know.

I did live off campus, though. So I never had to worry about my dorm room mate coming across my gun in my desk or anything.

If I went back to school, I wouldn't hesitate to carry.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012

You are exactly right about the classrooms on college campuses being death traps. I think about that a lot while teaching. I'm also with you on not wanting to ruin my employment/student opportunities. I'm in grad school at a public university in Indiana. I live off campus with my family so I'm not in campus housing. But the school pays most of my tuition, employs me to teach, and gives me health insurance. I'm in my 5th year of grad school here and am supporting my family of 4 on my income. Also, while a possibility, the chance of me getting shot on this campus is very small. I know we can say that about anywhere else and I do carry everywhere else. But for me, the cost-benefit analysis points toward not carrying and not risking my livelihood and the years I've spent in school working hard to provide for my family. All it takes is one slip-up of the shirt and someone calling the police or yelling "gun!" If I got kicked out, would another school accept me? Probably not with that on my academic record. It's a shame it has to be that way. I always carry my Surefire light, which, while no substitute for a gun, is at least something to fight with. Baseballs aren't a bad idea ;).

Top Bottom