• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I live in NJ and only have the NJ Firearms ID Card.

Dude, you need to find a gun forum for NJ. I hear that the laws there are very strict, and you need to be careful that you don't make a mistake and end up in jail for years. Indiana gun laws are really liberal, so the advice you get here may not be legally feasible in your home state. I periodically gloat to New York gun owners about the sort of toys we can have over here, while they grit their teeth about the eight-round rule...

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    They are sold out anyway......you 'should' be able to get one for around $125+ and yes, even in NJ but double check the laws there.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So i saw this on a prepper site, and i thought it looked decent and for only $100. Anybody have any thoughts about it. Quality, durability?
    Thank you

Link to site - Russian 1891/30 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant Rifle with Bayonet

View attachment 19676

1. Market value for a 91/30 in decent condition (without a bayonet) is greater than $100, so it is a reasonable investment. Not a steal, but they aren't likely to get any cheaper in the future, much like the force-matched combloc rework Luger I could kick myself in the tail for trading in a huff when I learned that the apparently matching numbers didn't which has appreciated between 50% and 100% since I did so.

2. As a prepper gun, a Mosin isn't a good candidate for single-handedly clearing of a field full of hostiles, but it hits hard and goes bang every time. You will have a better chance of tearing up/wearing out an anvil. In the end, an old turnbolt beats the hell out of a sharp stick or a fist.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    1.2. As a prepper gun, a Mosin isn't a good candidate for single-handedly clearing of a field full of hostiles, but it hits hard and goes bang every time. You will have a better chance of tearing up/wearing out an anvil. In the end, an old turnbolt beats the hell out of a sharp stick or a fist.
    Not to mention, it will easily subdue any living thing on the North American continent.

Collin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    Inexpensive rifle, cheap to shoot - why not buy it is the question? $100 is a good price. My take nowadays is buy what you want - like it, need it, planning ahead... doesn't matter.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I would not use a mosin as my SHTF go to gun but it makes a great backup and as mentioned it will drop anything. Ammo is reasonable and plentiful. But the 100 dollar days are over! If you get one make sure you cleen is well after shooting old milsurp ammo.

Top Bottom