This scares the hell out of me (LEO attitudes toward CCW)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Correct. I'm sure we'd all like an extra 13k a year. The truth is this---those in a LEO position get paid a DAMN good wage for the amount and type of work done. PERIOD. ESPECIALLY in this economy. The paycheck not as much as you'd like? Find another job. It's as simple as that. I thought it was understood when oaths were sworn that Law Enforcement is not a career to accept if you want a large paycheck. :twocents:

So your an expert in police work. You think $24,000 is fair?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    ^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

so true... if cops gave a darn about safety,,,theyd look for speeders in plain view with flashing lights on while driving international orange cars...

it aint about safety,,,its about the hunt

yes
    Having been away from the profession for a long time, I have a question; Is Police Presence as a deterent to crime even taught in today's academys?

As a new member of INGO, and a police officer for 18 years.... I feel for everyones side. I do not take guns from law abiding citizens but just ask they put them out of reach or secure them till I am done. I do not know who they are and yeah they do not know me either... It is my job.... I do figure if a person tells me that he or she has a weapon and a valid permit that they are most likely decent...and thank them for telling me... : ) I would rather see armed citizens than armed thugs anytime.....

Sir, Thank you!! You are a true Public Servant and display the wisdom and professionalism that many of us think is lacking.

So your an expert in police work. You think $24,000 is fair?

In all seriousness, I believe you are defending the undefendable. What other "compensation" do you receive? By that I mean, do you get the company car for use other than on duty? If so, who foots the bill for the fuel and insurance? I spend, on average, about $100 a week just to drive back and forth to work and about $400 year for coverage. Add that to the paycheck and you're knocking about $30K a year. Do you have a medical plan and/or pension plan that is funded wholey or in part by the taxpayer? How much is contributed in that respect? These are some of the intangibles that, even in the private sector, most don't recognize as being part of their salary. The job pays what it pays. If it's a large paycheck you're after, look into other careers. I don't think anyone twisted your arm and forced you to suit up.

I'm not cop bashing. I've been behind the shield. I know what the job entails and respect those who chose to serve, unless they give me a reason not to.
    Respect breeds respect and it should be a two way street. I do not feel that it is the citizens' responsiblity to show it first in all cases. If an LEO gives the wrong attitude to start, who are they to require anything more? There are ways to be courteous without giving away your position to weakness.

There are two basic kinds of people who gravitate toward a career as a Peace Officer. People who truely care about society and wish to be a part of the solution and people who crave power and importance. I extend this to all of the LEO's out there, Examine yourselves. Which type are you?

Top Bottom