• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    MosinKiddo, if I recall, MiniJet's school had a "no hoodie" policy. Not because of potential weapons concealment, but rather something to do with drugs. Which I didn't really understand... No jackets/hoodies/coats...or backpacks, but girls could carry big purses and tote-bags.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Starting my sophomore year, which was in '03, we were no longer allowed to wear coats. They presented it as a safety risk because "kids could trip if there are a bunch of coats clogging the aisles between the desks. :n00b:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I wish we could use sporks. We are only allowed finger food.

^This! :rolleyes:

Hint...At this age and stage try not to draw attention to yourself. You might find everything you have being searched including the thing between your ears. It appears that one person caused enough problems for the school administrators to take some non-favorable actions. Finding yourself labled could be a bit of a problem.

^This 2. You can't change the system you are in (at least not alone). So it is best to work that change underground and not to bring attention to yourself my questioning the authority.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    No jackets/hoodies/coats...or backpacks, but girls could carry big purses and tote-bags.

So you're telling me that a kid can't wear a backpack to school anymore to carry their books/supplies/lunch in?

W T F ....

Same reason why they didn't allow the big gym bags in our school.

Wow...

When I was in high school I had a gym bag you could stuff a fifth grader into. All my gear for Soccer, all my books, spare clothes for Gym/Swimming classes and sometimes the rollerblades I skated to school on.....

That was at the crack of the 90's decade.

What a joke......

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    Wow...

When I was in high school I had a gym bag you could stuff a fifth grader into. All my gear for Soccer, all my books, spare clothes for Gym/Swimming classes and sometimes the rollerblades I skated to school on.....

That was at the crack of the 90's decade.

What a joke......

I graduated HS in 95. It seemed the fashion at the time to carry everything in your gym bag, like they were a homeless guy or something. It was a PITA to move between the bags while in class and walking down hall.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So today in school we were talking. The teacher said ''Remember its getting cold outside, and you CANNOT wear coats in school. You have to keep them in your locker all day.'' I asked as to why. ''Well it is because last year someone brought a full auto 9mm glock to school.'' I wondered how a kid got a full auto. She didn't respond when I asked how she knew it was full auto since he didn't get a chance to use it. Well I went onto explain how you could conceal a weapon in anything even your pockets. She just said its for your saftey.

My question is. Coats really? The kid last year didn't wear one. Why can't we?

Sheesh, I gave a demo on gun safety in 6th grade......with my 20 gauge.

Schools aren't what they used to be.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I dropped out of high school way back, before all of these dumb safety rules. I hated all the rules they had back then. I wouldn't make it 5 minutes in this day and age!

Other side of the coin for a moment, not an excuse for school thinking, but part of the problem, there are sooo many moochers looking for a handout today, I'm sure some insurance co. probably creates a lot of this garbage by insisting the schools do anything and everything to cover their asses.

B27R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    but did they take the doors off your bathroom stalls yet? yeah, they did away w/ those when I was in high school b/c kids had smoked in the bathroom.

/seriously.

Gun Bunny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Man am I old, we had a class called "outdoor ed", which included firearm/hunting safety!
    Which yes, we had firearms there!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I can remember when I was in school me and my buddies having shotguns hanging in the back windows of our trucks, god forbid if any of them did that now

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Schools are just beyond stupid these days. I have read stories of kids being expelled for bringing butter knives to school. I am in my mid 30's and can remember when it was common to carry your pocket knife to school.

Read a news story about 3 -4 years ago about a 3rd or 4th grader being sent to the principal's office for DRAWING a pic of a gun. :nono: Hunh????? :ugh:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    So you're telling me that a kid can't wear a backpack to school anymore to carry their books/supplies/lunch in?
    When I was a kid we didn't have no fancy schmancy book bags, we carried our books, walked in the snow..............uphill................yup both ways!

We always had vests with our guns in the car so if we really needed to carry books in something other then our hands, I guess we could have put them in the game pouch of the vest?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    When I was a kid we didn't have no fancy schmancy book bags, we carried our books, walked in the snow..............uphill................yup both ways!

LOL! We had these stupid bungee bands that we strapped around our books. They always ripped the folders and they were either too long for the few you had, or too short to reach around them all.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You should come to my school. We not only don't have stupid rules like that, but we actually encourage firearms ownership and possession right in the school building.

And this school is where???????

I'm going to guess its a home school.

That would probably be an accurate guess

:hooked:

Y'know... the policy about no coats makes sense if you've seen this video
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IskfFKiuh3Y[/ame]​
    Of course, you have to suspend common sense and not ask questions like, "I wonder if he could walk or otherwise go about a normal school day with most of that in there, especially the shotgun.

And of course, you have to go into this mindset wherein the person is irrelevant; it is the mere presence of the object that causes harm.

As to the kid sent to the office for drawing a picture of a gun, I recall two reports here on INGO, one of a kid with a baseball cap to which he glued some plastic "Army Men" in support of a family member who was a soldier in the sandbox. (The kid was told he could not have it at school because the soldiers on his hat had guns) and the other in which a child was sent to the principal's office for pointing a french fry at another student and saying "Bang".

"Zero Tolerance" equals zero thinking. If the school staff are not capable of using judgment and realizing that a student carrying a gun is in violation of the law, but that a squirt gun or a pointed finger is not a danger to anyone, then they have no business teaching our children.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom