• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ejohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Dublin, IN
    My dad reloads and eventually I'll inherit all his equip, presses, dies, scales, ect. Is there a "Dummies Guide to Reloading" or similar? I have the basic concepts from when i was a kid watching him reload. He even had me doing some of it.
    My hobby for years has been drag racing, but its just getting too expensive to race anymore. I thought reloading might help me keep boredom at bay. I still love to shoot competition too.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Reloading is NOT for Dummies....

The " ABC's of Reloading " is probably the most recommended "How To" manual out there. I think it is in the Marion County Library, if you want to scan it before you buy one.

Lyman's 48th+49th Handbook is also a great resource for loading+has a good selection of cast bullet loads that most of the bullet mfg. manuals do not have.

You ARE taking the right step by reading up on the hobby before you jump in..Bill

PS: Just saw you were in Dublin--I don't know where that is, but check your county library..

ForceTA308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Read up and talk to as many as you can, especially your father from the sound of it. Before we got into reloading we talked to anyone who was willing to share and read up on everything from the machines we would need, where to buy supplies, and how to avoid any mistakes that others had made. There are many stickies and threads on here that are very helpful to go along with the manuals.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If your dad is still an active reloader, go help him put together some rounds. The fundamentals of reloading aren't all that complicated, but it does require absolute attention to certain details. Beyond that, there is a lot of "tweaking" you can do to make even better ammo, but the basics won't take you too long to figure out.

My son (18) and I reload for his guns and mine. Makes for good time spent together.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    If your dad is still an active reloader, go help him put together some rounds. The fundamentals of reloading aren't all that complicated, but it does require absolute attention to certain details. Beyond that, there is a lot of "tweaking" you can do to make even better ammo, but the basics won't take you too long to figure out.

My son (18) and I reload for his guns and mine. Makes for good time spent together.

As Broom said, quality time together.
    You will probably inherit some of his guns too, and he probably already has loads perfected for them. That said, an opportunity to have quality time with your dad doing something you both enjoy would be looked back on as a huge missed opportunity. Spend some time with your dad while you can, and you can get a few loads put together at the same time. A skill that can be passed from generation to generation.

judgecrater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Most reloading manuals cover the basics well. Get more than one. Lyman is one of the best. Wish my dad had been into reloading. Spend time with yours.

Top Bottom