• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    OK so I read another thread where someone was asking about the 10/22 and there was alot of replies that they dont shoot staight out of the box and the trigger sucks.

So what I want to know is what changes do you make to get them to be tack drivers and what are you doing to mod the trigger.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    You could just buy the 10/22 Target models. My brother owns one of the "Target Tacticals" and that thing is an absolute tack driver - even out to 100 yards. The trigger is much nicer then a standard 10/22 trigger also.

The only downside to the Target models is increased weight.

I would check out https://www.volquartsen.com/ for 10/22 upgrades. I don't have any experience with these but have always heard good things.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I have had several 10/22s and they all shot great for me. I have never had onr that didn't "shoot straight". A stock 10/22 will do anything you want from a .22 rifle and will outshoot most peoples ability to shoot the thing. With that being said there is a huge amount of aftermarket parts for a 10/22 if you want to tinker with it and make it more of a custom rifle for what you like or want from a .22. If you don't like the factory trigger, it is a bit heavy, thats easily taken care of.
    I used this Volquartsen trigger kit, very happy with it.
    Shooters Discount, Inc. - VQ 10/22 Hammer Kit Black

Also for info on how to do a trigger job yourself or any other modifications check out RimfireCentral.com Forums. Lot of 10/22 info on this site.

The factory barrel is good on a stock 10/22, even better if you buy a target model. There is also a large number of aftermarket barrels out there if you want to swap barrels. I have used Green Mt. barrels on two 10/22s and am very happy with them. My latest build has a 16.5 inch GM fluted sporter and is a tackdriver. The main thing is if you want a .22 rifle and are thinking about a 10/22, go out and buy one. You will not be sorry. Take it out and shoot it and you find it to be very accurate. Yes there are things you can do to tweak it and make it a little better, but they are not necessary. Some of us just can't leave them alone and have to play with them.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    It'll shoot straight. It won't spiral out of the range.

It may not group very well at 50 yards.

Trigger can be fixed for as little as $30 or as much as $200 for a complete drop-in trigger group.

Really depends on what you're expecting out of the gun.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The only problem with mine is when I take them to the range, they tend to run me out of ammo. :D

As stated above, the rifles aren't bad out of the box when it comes to accurace, or at least mine weren't. The trigger pull was a bit excessive, but that is easily fixed by polishing the mating surfaces if you are cheap like me, or going full Volquartsen who make some top rate parts for the 10/22.

I know more than a few people who bought their 10/22 for well under $200 and by the time they finished customizing them they spent over $1000. With a 10/22 you are pretty much only limited by your imagination. There are kits made to convert them to bullpups, make them look like Thompsons, or AR-15s, or Steyr AUG, and stock types from light weight to fully adjustable. And more barrel types than you can rattle a brick of .22LR at.

Heavy trigger yes, but not shooting staight? I guess if you shoot with your eyes closed...

Oh, this is one of mine. For some reason I have a thing for bullpups. The beauty of this guy is it might look funny, but it still is one tiny tack driver!
    picture.php

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    OK so I read another thread where someone was asking about the 10/22 and there was alot of replies that they dont shoot staight out of the box and the trigger sucks.

So what I want to know is what changes do you make to get them to be tack drivers and what are you doing to mod the trigger.

Sounds like that someone you refer too in your post, was trying to compare a box-stock factory 10/22 rifle to match-grade target rifles costing 5 times as much.

That's sort of like comparing the acceleration & top speed of a Toyota Camry to a Chevrolet ZR1 Corvette, which is sort of pointless.

Anyway the best advice I can give is if you want a Ruger 10/22 then buy a 10/22, take it out, shoot as many different brands of ammunition through it as possible, find the ammo that shoots best in it & enjoy it for awhile.

After you are thoroughly familiar with your 10/22 & it's performance, then you can start to think about the things you'd like to change on your rifle.

You might just decide that it doesn't really need anything changed.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I bought the 10/22T "target" I has the hammer twist bull barrel and factory trigger job, that thing is stupid accurate! Thinking about selling it to... ;)

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Here's one of my 10/22s, unfortunately the M44 isn't mine. My other 10/22 is stainless with a green laminate stock, it's really pretty. I picked this one up for $125!!! The folder alone is worth that and it has a VQ trigger group and hammer, the young man used it for appleseed but was getting into clays instead....
    DSC00358-1.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    It's funny how people always start their threads here with "Okay...." or "So I...." Just type the thing.

But I would have another question related to yours. If folks buying 10/22's right out of the box and they don't shoot right...where the heck are they getting them at so I definitely know NOT to go there. I bought them for the whole family and never had a single problem with them not sighting in a target.

Could be that they just don't know how to shoot.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I bought the most basic 10/22 brand new a few months ago. I was VERY impressed on how accurate it was straight out of the box. Maybe the people saying they don't shoot straight have crooked eye sight or something ! :P

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    I have been looking at the 10/22 for a while now, I love the huge aftermarket for them and how you can pretty much make it look like anything. After seeing the posts in the other thread I just wanted to make sure. Now from what everyone in this thread has said I am going to buy one after the holidays and I will post how I liked it then.

Thank you all for your opinions.

lrwatson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    10/22 Target Tactical

I have a new one and installed an NcStar red dot on it. The trigger seems pretty good, though it is no Accu-Trigger as on my 2 Savage rifles. I haven't even tried it at 50 yards yet, but it is a GAS on steel plates. I changed the bolt handle to a tactical and changed the mag release to an under-lever to improve ergonomics. The Hogue stock feels OK but I needed a lace-on cheek-piece to get high enough for the red dot.
    Great fun for my first 10/22.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I put Tech-Sights on a stock 10/22 and the only other thing I did was changing the stock for an M1 style and put a neoprene bolt buffer in. I can hit 20 oz. soda bottles at 70 yrds all day long. I think it has incredible accuracy for being practically bone stock.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Put a set of tech sights on it ( the factory sights are hard to adjust) add sling swivels and a sling,come out to an Appleseed and let the instructors help you learn the basics of marksmanship (and some history) and you will be well on your way to having a rifle you will enjoy shooting. For a complete parts list, look at the build of a LTR in the Appleseed section of the forum.

Top Bottom