• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Recently realized I DON'T own a marlinspike. Used to. But lost to time.

Looking for a sheepsfoot knife with marlinspike... shackle key would be nice... obviously a folder cause that would be one BIG knife if not.

Anyone have recommendations?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The marlinspikes i have seen were too big for a knife even a folder. Smallest one I have seen was 8 inches most were 12 and one was a good 16 maybe bigger. Made for large ropes. Interested to see what you are looking to do with it and what your idea for one would be.
    Most people don’t rope much now outside construction, rigging lights and speakers, and crane lifts. Sailing is to far away from the coast (minus Michigan city area) for many marlinspikes to be around.

Maybe I am thinking to big and they make them smaller for smaller boats. Many of these I think either came with the boat or the sail company. These were big boats with sails.

An alternative which works well for me would be a spud wrench or an ratcheting construction wrench. You loose the knife add a wrench and have your spike but they are not cheap either for a good one. I have had a 7/16 15/16 1 inch 1 1/4 inch and now a two inch for years.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The marlinspikes i have seen were too big for a knife even a folder. Smallest one I have seen was 8 inches most were 12 and one was a good 16 maybe bigger. Made for large ropes. Interested to see what you are looking to do with it and what your idea for one would be.
    Most people don’t rope much now outside construction, rigging lights and speakers, and crane lifts. Sailing is to far away from the coast (minus Michigan city area) for many marlinspikes to be around.

Maybe I am thinking to big and they make them smaller for smaller boats. Many of these I think either came with the boat or the sail company. These were big boats with sails.

An alternative which works well for me would be a spud wrench or an ratcheting construction wrench. You loose the knife add a wrench and have your spike but they are not cheap either for a good one. I have had a 7/16 15/16 1 inch 1 1/4 inch and now a two inch for years.

Great questions/comments!! Thank you!
    I had a boat once that had a three strand hemp anchor rode splice. But that was done long before I owned her.

Almost everything now is double braid. I have a kit of fids and pushers to do just about anything I need for splicing running rigging. But that doesn't help me for the knot or bend that is overly stubborn.

I guess in this context, I'm looking for a tool to avoid releasing an old bend or knot with the knife option.

And 40 years ago I could open almost any shackle - now, a bag of potato chips is tough if I have to use my right index finger.

Reactions: Mij

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    This is what my sons and I carry when sailing.

Nice. shackle key in the blade! I hate sharpening serrated. But I'm guessing you seldom use it. And it sure makes sense with modern braids.

thank you!!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Hmmm looks like I have the same thing in two pieces.

I think I will remove it from the bug out bag and place it in the safe.

The marlinspike I have somewhere in a dry bag.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      380.6 KB · Views: 7

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Nice. shackle key in the blade! I hate sharpening serrated. But I'm guessing you seldom use it. And it sure makes sense with modern braids.

thank you!!
    Its a necessary evil, with all of the different rope on a sailboat. I believe its offered without the serrated edge also. Its really only used when splicing an eye or going behind someone who left a stupid knot.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    This is what my sons and I carry when sailing.

I have this without the serrated blade. Use it to do minor rope work for fun. Nothing spectacular.

It works well and seems to be good quality.

Don

Edged Tools

Your EDC Knife Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    Something like these?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Hmmm looks like I have the same thing in two pieces.

I think I will remove it from the bug out bag and place it in the safe.

The marlinspike I have somewhere in a dry bag.
    Gotta love those old Gerbers!!!

Top Bottom