Thinkin about a .22 SA wheelgun, suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have a H&R 929 that I love very much. Nine shots, cowboy look, great gun. You can't have mine, but they couldn't be worth more than the $78 you want to spend used. look for one of these and you will be happy with it

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    get the ruger. Ive had a few fie, heritage cheapo six shooters. They all sucked, patterned like shotguns and the fixed sights were always off a good foot at fifteen paces. For SA, hands down the ruger single six

squirrel.png

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I will probably get hammered for even suggesting this but here it goes.
    I have a EAA bounty Hunter, two cylinders 22 / 22 mag. Look, feel, weight of a single action .45 LC (yes I said long colt, we all used to say Long Colt before you young whipper snappers showed up).

Back to the Bounty Hunter, I dont hunt with it, I plink and target shoot with it. Fit and finish is fine for a sub $300 gun. Quality is between a Heritage and a Ruger. When I was looking for a 22 / 22 mag revolver I passed on used Rugers from LGS's for just under $500. With tax I was not going to pay over $500 for a used .22 revolver to plink with.

Bottom line... You want a cheap popper go Heritage, you want a gun of slightly higher quality go EAA, you want the best go Ruger.

Edit to add: I understand that you can get these both made in Italy and Germany. The model I have experience with is German.

Last edited:

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    I have 2 .22 revolvers. The Ruger and the H&R 929 mentioned above. I really like both of them and each have a ton of rounds through them. The Ruger is a better made gun and I can shoot the it a little more accurately. The H&R is also a well made gun but the steel isn't holding up as well. Both of them don't get the care they deserve. I have seen the H&R for around $100 used which would be a great gun for that. Both of them were handed down to me so I can't say much for the prices.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Ruger Single Six! They are great, great SA .22s If you look hard you could probably get a convertible with the .22 mag cylinder. I bought mine a year or so ago used for $300. You can't beat the Ruger here it will last forever.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I like the Ruger Bearcat...A little smaller than the single six but a very neat (and surprisingly accurate) little revolver...They carry well in your pack pocket and makes a nice kit gun...I got one I take up to our little farmhouse when we go as a "kit gun" and I was very happy with it's "Tin can accuracy."

It is one of the few "new" guns I own...Although I am a Smith and Wesson junky Ruger remains one of few "new" guns I will buy...I swear the quality of that new Bearcat was superior to the ones of my youth...There are not many "new" firearms that are made better than they were 30 years ago...The Bearcat is the exception to that rule..

IMHO ofcourse lest my praise of the revolver be construed as "testy" in nature.

Top Bottom