Theoretical Situation: Do you shoot back?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I suppose it's sorta like the law they have here in Indiana, unless it was repealed, that states any LEO can enter your home without a warrant if they suspect domestic violence has occurred in the home, and as a home owner, you're not "allowed" to shoot the intruder for breaking into your home. They say your supposed to do nothing and elt the courts handle it.

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    Yes floor it, And maybe crash hard, really hard. They might not shoot you if your paralyzed. Good question OP how are we to defend ourselves from such a situation? Be hard to surrender to a firing squad!

This is what scares me. I know it's cliche.. but 'Quis custodiet ipsos custodes'? It seems as time goes on, there is less reprimand for officers of the law, breaking the law.

I suppose it's sorta like the law they have here in Indiana, unless it was repealed, that states any LEO can enter your home without a warrant if they suspect domestic violence has occurred in the home, and as a home owner, you're not "allowed" to shoot the intruder for breaking into your home. They say your supposed to do nothing and elt the courts handle it.

There were a story last year where police used this exact same tactic to shoot down an innocent elderly man. I haven't read the article in a while but from what I remember it was an unjust intrusion and there was very little retribution by the department involved.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I would probably hold the gas pedal to the floor, but it's hard to tell unless it actually happens. I would not shoot back, even if I somehow was able to kill one of the officers who was shooting at me, there are going to be a lot more showing up, and at that point, they don't care if I'm Dorner or not, I'm dead. In the off chance that I survive, I would probably feel miserable for the rest of my life for killing a police officer who was acting out of fear, not out of malice.

But really, if you think about it, it would be hard to even kill the officers shooting at you. You are being fired upon, you are caught off guard, and the shooters are wearing vests. Returning fire is pointless if you don't intend to kill them anyway, because if you are returning fire, then you become an armed suspect, and I would expect them to dispatch you. So at that point, it is kill or be killed.

I don't think anyone here can dispatch half a dozen officers with body armor, so they can give themselves time to lay on the ground.

I thin flooring it, or just ducking down and hoping you live is going to be the only options.
    Shooting back just doesn't seem like it can even be considered.

Last edited:

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That we are even discussing this makes me sick. What happened to "Due Process"?

The fact that there needs to be a discussion on what to do if police "mistakenly" mark you for death tells me we have big problems in this country.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would probably hold the gas pedal to the floor, but it's hard to tell unless it actually happens. I would not shoot back, even if I somehow was able to kill one of the officers who was shooting at me, there are going to be a lot more showing up, and at that point, they don't care if I'm Dorner or not, I'm dead. In the off chance that I survive, I would probably feel miserable for the rest of my life for killing a police officer who was acting out of fear, not out of malice.

But really, if you think about it, it would be hard to even kill the officers shooting at you. You are being fired upon, you are caught off guard, and the shooters are wearing vests. Returning fire is pointless if you don't intend to kill them anyway, because if you are returning fire, then you become an armed suspect, and I would expect them to dispatch you. So at that point, it is kill or be killed.

I don't think anyone here can dispatch half a dozen officers with body armor, so they can give themselves time to lay on the ground.

I thin flooring it, or just ducking down and hoping you live is going to be the only options.
    Shooting back just doesn't seem like it can even be considered.

1. Why? A mad dog is simply being what it is, as opposed to acting in malice. Would you allow one to make a chew toy out of you?

2. As bad as their marksmanship is, you may have more time than you think if you have the nerve to use it.

3. This was the case from the time they decided they were going to sent hot lead your way until either you are dead or they run out of ammunition. Your reaction is completely irrelevant to the outcome.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I would surrender. Maybe I'll live long enough to sue them. The shooting back option in this scenario is certain death.

Call local news station, keep the line open, and surrender. Or even calling 911, so the call would be recorded.

Basically I would want someone to be able to testify that I was surrendering and doing my best to be non-threatening, so if I was murdered my family could easily sue the department.

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    Just saw a video yesterday of an LAPD officer shooting a kid in the BACK 4 times then walking up to a distance of 3 feet and popping one more in the center of the kid's back. If that isn't evidence enough to stay out of California for the rest of your God given life, then you are probably doomed.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Just saw a video yesterday of an LAPD officer shooting a kid in the BACK 4 times then walking up to a distance of 3 feet and popping one more in the center of the kid's back. If that isn't evidence enough to stay out of California for the rest of your God given life, then you are probably doomed.

That isn't evidence of the need to stay out of California. That is evidence that murderers with badges need to be treated exactly like murderers without badges.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The two times in my life where I had gun fire go off behind me I took cover. I mean I dropped like a sack of taters off the back of a Red Cross truck in a refugee camp.

I would never shoot at a target without identifying it first. You have to see it to shoot it anyway, especially with a handgun at any distance.

So now I see they are cops and I break into my perfected WTF string of profanities. Situation resolved. I grab my neck and start yelling in pain, my neck my neck my neck, don't touch me MoFo's. I have hit the record button on the video option of any electronics still on me. If possible I have already speed dialed my attorney on my bluetooth headset.

If an active shooter closes in on me and is still shooting of course I am going to choose life, but these cops were not just 3-4 feet away when they opened fire, hence the reason people even survived.

Having lived in LA, the cops are only one element you need to fear. You need to be in fear 24/7, cops are just one gang you need to keep an eye out for.

But you see, I will never be in LA driving a Dodge with a Glock in the console. I have friends there with bigger guns and better trucks.

Top Bottom