The ticket I got yesterday makes me dislike leo's more.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I was careless and really didn't pay attention

That's really where your failure was.

maybe bring the front wheel off the ground 6 inches max.

So, you don't really know what the officer might have saw. From the squids I've seen, (not accusing you of being one,) it doesn't take much of a wheelie to get someones attention. And once you attract the attention of an LEO, he's going to pay attention to what you do next. So, excessive (in his subjective opinion) velocity getting up to speed can get you a ticket. I know I've got warnings for doing that in cars.

To me, having only 1 wheel on the pavement, means you didn't have full control. You may have had control before the wheel lifted, and after, but not while. Could you have changed course in that instant?

You should know it's always the things you don't see that trip you up.

From your comments, you are obviously a skilled rider. I have all the respect in the world for track riders. Good luck in your endeavors.

Chalk it up as dumb tax and move on with your life.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Folks make mistakes........ you made one... not the cop's fault..... deal with it and go on.

Lots of threads have shown up here about the jack-booted LEO's, and quota's, but I'll bet the vast majority of folks who get pulled over, broke the law. It's not a real difficult concept to grasp....

... but then, maybe it's just me... :dunno: :patriot:

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    A cousin of mine who is a sheriff in another state told me once to let the ticket go to a court date and call and let them know you cant make it and want to still go to court for it and they will give you a new court date and the cop will most likely not show up to the new court date cause it will be his only contested ticket that day. I have never tried it but it might work

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    On a not really related note...

Car crash: Serious crash on east side involving police car, motorcycle - fox59.com

Indianapolis —

Emergency crews were called to East 56th Street and Brendon Way Drive after a serious crash was reported involving a police car and at least one motorcycle.

Three people were injured in the crash, one person was said to be in critical condition, another serious. Fox59 reporter Kimberly King hearing from investigators that the police officer struck motorcycle.

The crash closed 56th Street from I-465 to Arlington while emergency crews responded to the injured.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Haha that commercial is freakin hillarious........ I don't know what ill do yet im gonna see if they will let me defer it which will hide it from my insurance (just have to pay more), which is my only concern really, if all I had to do was pay 125 bucks, I'd be okay with gettin a ticket over what I did.... it's the insurance that costs me.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Stop saying maybe the cop wont' show up to court. That is a myth. The only way you would get out of it at that point is if the judge decided they really didn't want to eff with giving the officer another summons to appear. That doesn't happen in most places and even if it does, it usually ends up with them lowering the infraction to just cost less. I hear this all the time from people. But somehow, the officer always gets another summons. Sometimes up to 4-5 different rescheduled dates.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    That was my first mistake! If i would have made a double take and saw the leo on his way to dunkin doughnuts I wouldn't have been posting this....
    How do you know the LEO was going to dunkin donuts? Did he tell you or is this an assumption on your part?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    If you going to fight this ticket and it's in Indy then you had better show up with a very good case, the new judge over at traffic court will raise the fine to the maximum if he feels like you wasted his time with nonsense.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Im not going to try and fight it, thats more hassle than it's worth I dont have time to go through the laws and find a loophole, get an attorney (although I have heard there is no law that states u have to have both wheels on the ground as long as u are doing it under the speed limit) no idea if thats true. I will just pay my ticket and be more observant for johnny law before I twist my throttle again. If my insurance goes up, I am definitely going to think hard about selling her.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    If you going to fight this ticket and it's in Indy then you had better show up with a very good case, the new judge over at traffic court will raise the fine to the maximum if he feels like you wasted his time with nonsense.

+1 I was told the exact thing by my IMPD Det. friend.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I didn't know it was against the law to bring the front wheel up 6"...?
    My son took a bad leo to court over a ticket an won....I posted the story here...I'll look it up an be back....

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Lets recap: You drove dangerously enough to cause a two wheeled vehicle to only be functioning on one wheel. Oh, and to top things off, the wheel that you caused to loose contact with the ground was the one you steer with. You got a ticket based upon the above actions are you are upset. :rolleyes:

It would be one thing if it was common for motorcycles that take off on 55 MPH state roads to always have their steering wheel come off the ground, but I have never seen it, and I have seen plenty of motorcycles turn onto various roads.

Did you sign the ticket?
    If you don't sign the ticket you can get out of it.
    If you did, just remember the next time you get pulled over refuse to sign the ticket.
    The officer will have no choice and have to let you go. They trick people like this all the time.

really? is this true?

Absolutely not for the counties I know of. For an infraction, all the counties I am familiar with don't require you to sign the ticket. For a summons, failure to sign the ticket will only mean two things: #1: If the cop witnessed the violation, they can just take you in for booking (ie: You get arrested outright). #2: If the cop didn't witness the offense, they still write out their probable cause and a warrant gets issued for your arrest.

also ic code is 9-21-5-1 "speed unreasonable under conditions/ to fast takeoff"

IC 9-21-5-1 General restrictions
    Sec. 1. A person may not drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions, having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. Speed shall be restricted as necessary to avoid colliding with a person, vehicle, or other conveyance on, near, or entering a highway in compliance with legal requirements and with the duty of all persons to use due care.

There is nothing in this statue about "take-offs." This is another officer who is making up laws as they go. I can't say your speed was reasonable or not, but the takeoff thing should be dismissed. That being said, unless you can get the officer to admit in court you weren't speeding, and he didn't see you pop one wheel off the ground, a judge might dismiss your ticket. Just argue the statue was written to prevent vehicle collisions, and that the officer told you you weren't speeding and there was no collision or even probability of a collision.

Most unreasonable speed tickets are written under IC 9-21-5-4 which reads:

IC 9-21-5-4 Reduction of speed; conditions where required
    Sec. 4. The driver of each vehicle shall, consistent with section 1 of this chapter, drive at an appropriate reduced speed as follows:
    (1) When approaching and crossing an intersection or railway grade crossing.
    (2) When approaching and going around a curve.
    (3) When approaching a hill crest.
    (4) When traveling upon a narrow or winding roadway.
    (5) When special hazard exists with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions.

...under complete control wasn't trying to do a wheelie....

How is one under "complete control" when the wheel they use to control the direction of the vehicle isn't in contact with the roadway???

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    A motorcycle isn't steered by its front tire, it is steered by leaning. It's obvious here who rides and who isn't. Doing a wheelie isn't the safest maneuver, but it does not remove all steering control from the rider.

Everyone who is saying that doing a wheelie removes steering control from the motorcycle obviously doesn't know what they're talking about. So stop saying it.

The front wheel is not what is used to control the direction of a motorcycle unless you're traveling about 10 mph or less.

Top Bottom