• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Well, technically, there are laws in most jurisdictions (yep, even Indiana) that prohibit letting a dog run loose through the community. Anyway, as previously noted:

I carry a gun.

I don't OC to 'flaunt my rights', I don't CC because I'm 'afraid to flaunt my rights'.

There are times when OC is appropriate, and inappropriate. There are times when CC is appropriate, and inappropriate.

I am wise enough to know the difference. I have to be, because...

I carry a gun.
    This implies there are universal standards for when it is appropriate to OC and when it is appropriate to CC. Is that your argument?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I carry wherever it's legal to do so. My holster is OWB and I'm not changing it. If I happen to be wearing an outer garment which covers it up, I'm CC. If I happen to not be wearing a jacket or shirt which covers it up I'm OC. And if my evil black Glock makes someone nervous that's THEIR fault, not mine. I'm not out to make THEM happy, I'm out to defend my rights and have a means of defending myself.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    I carry a gun.

I don't OC to 'flaunt my rights', I don't CC because I'm 'afraid to flaunt my rights'.

OC is always preferable, but there are times when I find CC to be more convenient.

I act accordingly because...

I like Buffalo Wild Wings.

FIFY.

This implies there are universal standards for when it is appropriate to OC and when it is appropriate to CC. Is that your argument?

Bingo! When I'm at work I CC, not because it is objectively inappropriate to OC at work, but because my boss asks that I do so as to not affect business. I CC at the movies because they have a no gun policy and I'd rather watch my movie and have a means to defend myself than to have to pick one of the two.

There is no scenario in which CC is objectively more appropriate than OC, but there are scenarios in which one is more convenient than the other, and that varies from person to person.

Last edited:

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    Yeah, take a page from black people and women that can vote now. Don't flaunt your rights because someone will take them away. Also, black people and women won their rights by sitting at home quietly and writing nicely worded letters to their government. The next time you see a black man with a white woman in public (or better yet, at a voting booth), be sure to inform them that if they don't hide what they are doing, they will get a governor voted in that will take their rights away.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I will "rub their face in it" in their eyes anyway. There are some who cannot interpret OC as anything OTHER than a reason to call the cops.

The ONLY thing that will change this is if the cops come enough and get sick enough of it to where they actually start to ask follow up questions before responding to MWG call. Things like: What is he doing? Is he threatening anyone? Is the weapon drawn?

After enough angry callers get told that the person isn't breaking the law, and by the way, if you call us again for this we may have to question YOU, dear caller--- only THEN will this kind of nonsense continue.

There's no short term fix. Until the dispatcher decides that simply carrying a gun doesn't justify police response, it won't improve.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I must be OCing in the wrong places. Only one or two snarky comments and certainly no MWAG calls or LEO encounters yet. Now that it's warming up I'll be OCing almost exclusively. But I won't begrudge any CCer over their method of carry, just let me do my thing and you do yours.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yeah, take a page from black people and women that can vote now. Don't flaunt your rights because someone will take them away. Also, black people and women won their rights by sitting at home quietly and writing nicely worded letters to their government. The next time you see a black man with a white woman in public (or better yet, at a voting booth), be sure to inform them that if they don't hide what they are doing, they will get a governor voted in that will take their rights away.

Because writing letters to gain/protect a right we already have will do so much… :rolleyes: :scratch:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ...When I'm at work I CC, not because it is objectively inappropriate to OC at work, but because my boss asks that I do so as to not affect business.
    So, would you say that you don't OC because you're afraid you'll offend someone? And apparently, your boss says "it is objectively inappropriate to OC at work"! :laugh:

I guess that "as to not affect business", IS the defined "objectively inappropriate". :):

There is no scenario in which OC is objectively more appropriate than CC...

There, FIFY! :laugh:

Hey, good attempt there, I understand the difficulty and angst it must've created. I'll just go ahead and change it back now to what we like to call "the right way"! :lmfao:

I carry a gun.

There are times when OC is appropriate, and inappropriate. There are times when CC is appropriate, and inappropriate.

I am wise enough to know the difference. I have to be, because...

I carry a gun.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Bingo! When I'm at work I CC, not because it is objectively inappropriate to OC at work, but because my boss asks that I do so as to not affect business. I CC at the movies because they have a no gun policy and I'd rather watch my movie and have a means to defend myself than to have to pick one of the two.

There is no scenario in which CC is objectively more appropriate than OC, but there are scenarios in which one is more convenient than the other, and that varies from person to person.
    Well if it varies from person to person then it isn't really universal, is it?

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Well if it varies from person to person then it isn't really universal, is it?
    No, which is exactly what I said.

There is no scenario where CC is objectively more appropriate (fitting or proper in the circumstances) than OC, but there are scenarios in which one is more convenient (fitting in well with a person's needs, activities, and plans,) and that varies from person to person.

What is appropriate is objective, what is convenient is subjective.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    No, which is exactly what I said.

There is no scenario where CC is objectively more appropriate (fitting or proper in the circumstances) than OC, but there are scenarios in which one is more convenient (fitting in well with a person's needs, activities, and plans,) and that varies from person to person.

What is appropriate is objective, what is convenient is subjective.

And yet when I asked if there was a universal standard for the appropriateness of CC/OC, did you not answer in the affirmative?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ok, just jumping in here because I find it hilarious that after 29489402 posts on this subject, it boils down to the best carry method being whatever is appropriate for the individual and/or situation? Scandalous.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    And yet when I asked if there was a universal standard for the appropriateness of CC/OC, did you not answer in the affirmative?

I'm sorry, no I did not answer in the affirmative. However I see now how my response to your post could be taken the wrong way. I was agreeing with your line of thinking, not the actual question that you posed.

My argument is that, because the self defense is a right, and because both OC and CC (and whatever other kind of carry you prefer) are practical and viable methods carry, then they are all appropriate at all times.

The universal standard is that carry is always appropriate; The mode of carry need not ever enter into the argument. It is however undeniable that depending on individual circumstances one method may be more convenient/practical than the others. But that is completely subjective, and in no way to solidifies the argument one way or the other.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm sorry, no I did not answer in the affirmative. However I see now how my response to your post could be taken the wrong way. I was agreeing with your line of thinking, not the actual question that you posed.

My argument is that, because the self defense is a right, and because both OC and CC (and whatever other kind of carry you prefer) are practical and viable methods carry, then they are all appropriate at all times.

The universal standard is that carry is always appropriate; The mode of carry need not ever enter into the argument. It is however undeniable that depending on individual circumstances one method may be more convenient/practical than the others. But that is completely subjective, and in no way to solidifies the argument one way or the other.

Okay. I understand. I thought the "BINGO" was a "yes" to the actual question. It makes more sense now. :D

Top Bottom