• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    Thank you for this! This whole conversation is exceedingly interesting. Honestly, I've thought for years that open carry would be a better way to go, if nothing else, because I'm a small guy and it's hard to conceal a gun on me. I've found ways to do it, but it took a long time of trial and error. Many times throughout that process I thought "Man, it would be so much easier to just carry the damn thing on my hip and be done with it." Every time I seriously thought about it, though, it seemed like every "pros and cons of open carry" article, with the exception of the article above, always come down on the side of not open carrying. I suppose maybe that's a lesson to trust my own instincts rather than whatever I read in internet articles. I very much appreciate the education!

You should know by now that if it is on the internet, it is 100% true. :lmfao:

First of all, since when does an employer get to tell someone how to act when they're not at work? That seems like serious overreach to me, not to mention idiotic.

Secondly, it is good to hear that an LEO supports open carry; one of the reasons I've been hesitant to OC is that I've heard stories about cops giving people a hard time, like they're deliberately trying to get them to do something stupid so they can make an example of them. I've always been afraid that, if that happened to me, I would be so angry that I WOULD do something stupid, and I figured it wasn't worth the risk.

If you are hesitant to OC, perhaps try to attend an OC event? There are a number of cops who think OC is illegal, but cops aren't paid to know the law...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Well this S***s! This came up in my control panel and I licked my chops and said "Dis is goona be gud" .

Much to my chagrin the noob didn't say OCers will be the first one shot or some stupid :poop: like that.

:welcome: 2 :ingo: [SUP]from [/SUP]NWI, [SUP]Tsssst.[/SUP]

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You stinkin' TROLLS!

I keep coming in here likin' my chops expecting something good and...

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I had to stop open carrying after doing it for several years. Everywhere I went, I was always the first one shot. My ancestors will be paying my medical bills long after I'm gone.

I quit because every time I oc’d a 5 year old would steal it from my holster. It gets expensive replacing them weekly.

Seriously though, 353 pages of people who don’t think of the children. The humanity :runaway:

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I quit because every time I oc’d a 5 year old would steal it from my holster. It gets expensive replacing them weekly.

Seriously though, 353 pages of people who don’t think of the children. The humanity :runaway:

Thinking of the children is why I OC in a level 5 retention holster and IWB/POCKET/ANKLE 3 other defensive weapons. You know, for when the kids try to grab my bait gun.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    This thread needs to be locked. It is no fun anymore.

Don't worry, when you least expect it someone will drop by and offer their sage advice about how we'll be "shot first" in any dangerous encounter and that we "give up the element of surprise" by not concealing. Oh and that we're going to get our guns stolen right out of our holsters... ;)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Yeah, but every time it pops up in my CP I get excited and...

Here I sit all Broken hearted...

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I had a guy at Pepe's last month tell me how I was going to get shot first and there were places in Chicago where I couldn't go while open carrying because they would take my gun.

I told him, I had no intention of going to those places, you can't open carry in Illinois, AND I couldn't even carry legally in Illinois if I wanted to.

Of course he knew better, but I got the sense that he though he knew everything. Most of what came out of his mouth was wrong though.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Dang, why can I not have fun like that.

I haven't been accosted ignorant police or civilians in years.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I twas kind of funny actually. Except that he was a little too persistent. Started to get on my nerves by the end.

He probably found you attractive and annoying you with gun myths and fabrications was an excuse to spend time with you. Kind of like a little boy punching a little girl on the arm in the playground, but a lot gayer.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You shouldn't carry your gun because you scare me.
    No I don't.
    What?
    I said, I don't scare you.
    How do you know how I feel?
    If a bear walked in here, I'd be scared. We all would. But we wouldn't walk up to the bear and tell it we're scared.

Top Bottom