The OFFICIAL Trump/HRC/2016 General Election Thread...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Popular doesn't matter in the final outcome, true. But every American's wishes, are just as valid to be heard as anyone's else's in any other state. With every additional vote counted, we get a clearer idea of what the actual American people, in total, wished to have.

They're heard at the state level under the rules passed by their state. But they should still be counted (note, I know you don't disagree with that).

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Because it's important (well maybe to just to me) to see how the entire nation voted, and the disparities in the final tally, between the winner in the loser? :dunno:

But how is that even meaningful when the campaigns ran an Electoral College race? And what is meaningful about 7 million Californians voting for Hillary versus 10 million Californians?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    But how is that even meaningful when the campaigns ran an Electoral College race? And what is meaningful about 7 million Californians voting for Hillary versus 10 million Californians?

How many times has the electoral college not reconciled with the popular vote?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Unfortunately we may never know who won the popular vote. Many counties or states do not count the absentee votes if the numbers are insufficient to affect the outcome.

Some years ago I spoke with Andy Downs of IPFW who was also on the election board here in Allen County. He informed me at that time that here in Allen County we do count all of the votes irregardless of the numbers and potential lack of impact on the final vote. Regrettably many counties around the country do not follow this standard.

Their reasoning is a simple one: time and money. Who cares what the absentee voters wanted if all of them went to the loser and the loser would still lose? Why should we pay for vote counters to sift through these ballots when we have very tight budgets, and the time it takes to count them is better spent on another facet of service to the public when mathematically those votes will have no impact on the outcome.

I would argue that they should be counted because they voted! Our liberty and representative government isn't based upon what may or may not occur, but rather on the rights of every citizen including the right to have a say in who will lead our great nation. However, I am not in charge.

I would also argue that until every vote IS counted the loser has a rallying cry that may be based upon false information, and thus an incomplete understanding of the true facts. Perhaps HRC did win the popular vote, but perhaps not. I believe the knowledge of this is important because it would be a rallying cry if the shoe were on the other foot.

Alas, we will probably never know. The only fact I know for certain is that whether or not President Elect Donald J Trump won the popular vote or not I am supremely content that he stopped Hildabeast from gaining the oval office.

Regards and Happy Thanksgiving,

Doug

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I am OK with not counting absentee votes if it won't matter. May as well save a bit of money.

I find it interesting that republicans beat dems by 3 million votes in house races but lost the presidential by a million.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am OK with not counting absentee votes if it won't matter. May as well save a bit of money.

I find it interesting that republicans beat dems by 3 million votes in house races but lost the presidential by a million.

Respectfully, I believe it does matter. Consider how you would respond if your election board told you that your precinct wasn't tallied, there was an error. Now, after the election, we're not going to count it because, well... the vote is so lopsided that it won't matter.

In this scenario you and everyone in your precinct has been oppressed by not having your voice heard. The election isn't just about picking a leader, it is about expressing your thoughts. And that expression is and always should be protected and preserved in a free nation.

Doug

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Respectfully, I believe it does matter. Consider how you would respond if your election board told you that your precinct wasn't tallied, there was an error. Now, after the election, we're not going to count it because, well... the vote is so lopsided that it won't matter.

If it wouldn't matter, I'd be fine with the decision. If it could change the outcome, they should be counted.

In this scenario you and everyone in your precinct has been oppressed by not having your voice heard.

Don't confuse the ballot box with the soap box, they are different things.

The election isn't just about picking a leader, it is about expressing your thoughts.

No, it isn't, you're simply conflating the two.

And that expression is and always should be protected and preserved in a free nation.

Both boxes are preserved. Your vote may not have made any impact but your voice and thoughts still can.

Doug

To you as well.
    :)

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The popular vote is as follows:

About 1/2 voted for Trump. About 1/2 voted for Hillary. The libertarians got some too.

It doesn't really tell us much. It certainly doesn't tell us how many people held their nose in disgust as they filled out their ballots.

My guess?

About 1/2 fell into that category.

Trump is president-elect under our rules. He's my president. He's your president. If you reject him as your president, you are living in your own reality bubble.

Let's move on. I'd hate to see this "popular vote" and "all those fraudulent ballots that those Mexicans filled out" rule the next four years of our conversations like the birther bs ruled the last eight. Personally, I find it boring. The election is over.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom