Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having owned a turbo car, they definitely like rpms, my thoughts are that by the time your up in the rpms in 2nd or 3rd your gonna be hauling ass. May work, not sure what you exactly do with the car. The worst that can happen is it doesn't like it and you can switch to the 3.73s. That's not all that hard, really only need a dial indicator setup and basic measuring tool

We ran 3.08s in the 64 SS. Supercharged BB Chevy not a turbo so no real spool up time involved but it would jump sideways at will in 1st 3 gears if you pushed it.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    98% sure that the D-250’s only came in long bed

7xaAQF2.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Your probably right, short bed 3/4t probably wasn't popular happen back then. No reason I the a heavy duty truck but it would be cool, just not fit my shop very well

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Yeah superchargers work down low, not a turbo. That is one reason I like superchargers.

Turbos need engine load to spool though. So you can’t go crazy with the gearing. That turbo Mustang I had was an example of how not to do it. The MT-82 transmission was a 6-speed but 5th gear was the 1:1 gear; whereas 4th is the 1:1 gear in most transmissions. So the short trans gearing combined with the 4.10s out back was the opposite of an ideal turbo setup.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Mine isn't even noticeable until 2500+, granted mine isn't on a performance build by any means. But it is enough to no that I don't want another turbo car. My buddies Subie is Turbo and geared pretty good and it kinda works out, if he had that much power at take off he wouldn't have any traction. Hopefully it works out good for him

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Mine isn't even noticeable until 2500+, granted mine isn't on a performance build by any means. But it is enough to no that I don't want another turbo car. My buddies Subie is Turbo and geared pretty good and it kinda works out, if he had that much power at take off he wouldn't have any traction. Hopefully it works out good for him

Turn that frown upside down with selective ignition misfiring... and shoot cool fireballs. :yesway:

[video=youtube;YscXIC-1Rc0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YscXIC-1Rc0[/video]

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I do have another buddy with a pretty pissed off Mitsubishi, that has nitrous for his turbo to spool it early. Not exactly sure how it works, but that car is fast

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    If mine did that I may enjoy it more. Lol

Dude... I would be on that button non-stop and blowing up China turbos every other week.

I do have another buddy with a pretty pissed off Mitsubishi, that has nitrous for his turbo to spool it early. Not exactly sure how it works, but that car is fast

N2O creates boost pressure* just like any other power adder and that pressure doesn't stop in the intake manifold. The exhaust gases are still also under that pressure. So when you spray a turbo car you're dumping pressurized exhaust gases right on the hot side and spinning it up much faster. That's why N2O is an exponential power adder on turbo cars. A 50 shot in the intake might net you 150 at the wheels.

If you're looking for a cheering section for either of these thoughts, I strongly endorse both! :laugh:

*might be more accurate to say it increases cylinder pressure, but the net result is the same.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Dude... I would be on that button non-stop and blowing up China turbos every other week.

N2O creates boost pressure* just like any other power adder and that pressure doesn't stop in the intake manifold. The exhaust gases are still also under that pressure. So when you spray a turbo car you're dumping pressurized exhaust gases right on the hot side and spinning it up much faster. That's why N2O is an exponential power adder on turbo cars. A 50 shot in the intake might net you 150 at the wheels.

If you're looking for a cheering section for either of these thoughts, I strongly endorse both! :laugh:

*might be more accurate to say it increases cylinder pressure, but the net result is the same.

It definitely works for him. I never heard of injecting it before the turbo till I met him, of course I didn't know to many people with imports

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The Super Charger package I put on my Harley made some fair amounts of boost compared to other SC's on V-2s and it was angry. When I engaged the spray it got really angry as it was port injected and aimed directly at the intake valve's.
    It was a beast.

Edelbrock came out with a plate system that mounted under the carb. As it was a wet intake this actually worked as an inter-cooler. When the spray was engaged the engine seemed to loose the angry and go full beast mode but so much smoother. It was a really huge improvement over the port injected system.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The Super Charger package I put on my Harley made some fair amounts of boost compared to other SC's on V-2s and it was angry. When I engaged the spray it got really angry as it was port injected and aimed directly at the intake valve's.
    It was a beast.

Edelbrock came out with a plate system that mounted under the carb. As it was a wet intake this actually worked as an inter-cooler. When the spray was engaged the engine seemed to loose the angry and go full beast mode but so much smoother. It was a really huge improvement over the port injected system.

Sounds awesome, I ran with a guy that had spray on an Ironhead 900 xlch no SC though

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    It definitely works for him. I never heard of injecting it before the turbo till I met him, of course I didn't know to many people with imports

If he's injecting it straight into the hot side, he's doing something different. WRC cars will bypass air around the engine with sort of an inverse blow-off valve and straight into the hot side and the ECM will dump extra fuel even when they're off throttle so they have 100% boost 100% of the time regardless of throttle position... I kinda doubt he's doing that with the bottle, but he could?

Antilag in general is more of an import thing for sure. It's hard to make lots of exhaust pressure to run a turbo the size of of basketball with 2.5L of engine displacement at anything under screaming RPM. Usually the V8 stuff, unless it's a gigantic turbo or not well sized hot side, can spool itself moderately well and at least carry enough torque just on engine displacement to soften the lag.

I do have to admit though, the handful of lag monster '80s and '90s turbo cars I've driven are a ridiculous amount of fun as they begin to spool. Positive displacement S/C and just good old thumper motors might be a broader power curve, but they don't have that same jet aircraft take off effect. 2 of the most just "fun" cars I've ever driven were a turbo Sunbird and an Eclipse GST and both were like that. You're picking your nose until 3k and then you just vanish.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I do have to admit though, the handful of lag monster '80s and '90s turbo cars I've driven are a ridiculous amount of fun as they begin to spool. Positive displacement S/C and just good old thumper motors might be a broader power curve, but they don't have that same jet aircraft take off effect. 2 of the most just "fun" cars I've ever driven were a turbo Sunbird and an Eclipse GST and both were like that. You're picking your nose until 3k and then you just vanish.

Having owned a ‘95 Honda coupe with a turbo 1.6 in it, I can verify that they are ridiculously fun to drive. It weighed around 2500lbs and made about 300 to the tire. It was an absolute blast and cheeeaaaap.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Having owned a ‘95 Honda coupe with a turbo 1.6 in it, I can verify that they are ridiculously fun to drive. It weighed around 2500lbs and made about 300 to the tire. It was an absolute blast and cheeeaaaap.

What are we talking here? I've never been a Honda guy, but the little buggers are always freaking expensive when I've looked at them. Does it get way cheaper if you get someone's "kinda OK" turbo kit on it?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    What are we talking here? I've never been a Honda guy, but the little buggers are always freaking expensive when I've looked at them. Does it get way cheaper if you get someone's "kinda OK" turbo kit on it?

Just a quick Facebook search found two turbo Honda’s that need a little work for around $3,000. Also found a Turbo K24 Integra for around $8,000.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom