• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I only used mine to pay off what I owed the IRS, that bill will NEVER go away, no matter what gets passed in Congress such as student loan forgiveness, mortgage relief... ect... Otherwise I am hoarding cash. If things get bad, I will stop non essential payments and make sure we keep the roof over our heads and food in our stomachs. At least I have some cash and food stores to fall back on, not many people (sheep?) do. Never lived paycheck to paycheck and am doubly glad now...

I haven't used mine for anything. I've been looking for a decent investment opportunity but nothing has been promising enough to overcome my risk aversion. And I'm very risk averse right now, more so then usual, because of so many uncontrollable and unpredictable moving parts.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville

Based on these numbers, from 01 March through 14 May, screenings for air travel are 21 percent of what they were one year ago. If you throw out numbers from 15 March and earlier to account for when the panic basically hit everyone, it is 7 percent. Counting 01 April to today it is 3 percent. That is devastating and the recovery will be slow and painful.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It is amazing to me (NOT) how easily so many were bought with a mere $1200 check. Then the promise of union trade level bring home pay on unemployment for :poop: sake. WTH is all that about. I busted my A$$ for years to achieve that and these douche bags are just giving it away to the point that many businesses will not be staffed when they re-open.
    Again, this is just a dress rehearsal. The actual play is about to start. Get a good seat. :popcorn: and a sprite. Then hang on.

How many do you figure didn't opt to have withholding and don't realize that they will owe taxes on the unemployment?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Kelly Jae's Cafe in Goshen.

Heard that Fireside Tap and Grill in Edwardsburg is also closing, but can't confirm it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Something needs to happen because this current environment is not sustainable.

If this is the new normal I'm in major trouble.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Kelly Jae's Cafe in Goshen.

Heard that Fireside Tap and Grill in Edwardsburg is also closing, but can't confirm it.

Don't know if they are any relationship to the Fireside that was in Greenwood until last year but they were in trouble for a LONG time before they finally threw in the towel. Ale Emporium moved into their space and basically if you don't get there when they open you have an hour to hour and a half wait.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I am (well... was, no longer sadly) in the airline industry and can tell you those numbers are pretty on spot. A lot, if not most regional airlines will be out of business soon and I agree about the majors. They will all file for bankruptcy, even if getting massive cubic dollars from the government. Especially if they are in my opinion... they are a greedy bunch.

It will take years for the airline industry to recover after "things return to normal". Leisure travel will stay down for a while as few will have the money to blow on vacations after being out of work and catching up on bills. Business travel is where airlines made their best profits, full priced tickets are their bread and butter but with all the new emphasis on working from home, remote access and virtual meetings, I agree that corporations will not be traveling nearly as much.

We had an awesome boom for A&P mechanics and pilots over the last few years. Kids coming out of school with no experience were being snapped right up at pretty decent salaries. I feel bad for kids now finishing up in school, there will be no jobs for them for years with the glut on the market.

I worked for UAL for 3 years prior to 9/11 and saw the hand writing on the wall that day as the towers fell. I believe that this will have a bigger impact on that industry than 9/11 did. I just smile when someone says "oh my son is working on his A&P license too". Yeah kid, good luck.

GMediC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2020
    US
    One of our pilots has been working hard toward getting his commercial and multi engine licenses and building hours. I guess he will have plenty of time to build hours now.

Another coworkers son had an offer from the airlines but opted to resign with the military for much less money. At the time it seemed silly, but in hindsight it was genius

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Hertz, yeah, and if they actually liquidate that's going to have a huge impact on the new and used car market. That's a metric butt-ton of late model low mileage cars to be auctioned off at one time, and a time when demand is pretty low. Might be an awesome time for a customer interested in a Toyota Solara or whatever, but it's going to hurt both used and new car sales.

We are a one-car family, and my oldest just turned 13. This timing could work out very well for me, to pick up a decent starter car for a song.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Heard that Fireside Tap and Grill in Edwardsburg is also closing, but can't confirm it.

That would be a shame. That place predates me.

Since my Mom moved out of the Burg, I have not been back.

We are a one-car family, and my oldest just turned 13. This timing could work out very well for me, to pick up a decent starter car for a song.

I have bought 3 minivans that were former rentals- 1 year old with around 15-18k miles ('03 Venture, '12 T & C, '18 Pacifica). We have been very pleased. The '03 Venture went over 130k and was traded for the '12 T & C still in cent shapr. The T & C went 112k, then was rearended and totaled when we had no plans to replace it. The Pacifica is perfect.

I am looking for (possibly) and F-150 now and some of the rentals look decent.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I am (well... was, no longer sadly) in the airline industry and can tell you those numbers are pretty on spot. A lot, if not most regional airlines will be out of business soon and I agree about the majors. They will all file for bankruptcy, even if getting massive cubic dollars from the government. Especially if they are in my opinion... they are a greedy bunch.

It will take years for the airline industry to recover after "things return to normal". Leisure travel will stay down for a while as few will have the money to blow on vacations after being out of work and catching up on bills. Business travel is where airlines made their best profits, full priced tickets are their bread and butter but with all the new emphasis on working from home, remote access and virtual meetings, I agree that corporations will not be traveling nearly as much.

We had an awesome boom for A&P mechanics and pilots over the last few years. Kids coming out of school with no experience were being snapped right up at pretty decent salaries. I feel bad for kids now finishing up in school, there will be no jobs for them for years with the glut on the market.

In my opinion, their bias toward business as usual will hurt them further. I just read an article about GoJet debuting a new airplane in United service. It is called the CRJ550 and looks like a CRJ700 but only has 50 seats. It has a true first class cabin designed in for 10 seats and of the remaining 40 seats in steerage 20 are for more space for more money 'economy plus'. I think the idea of squeezing people into ever smaller seats to use the room for cushy accomodations up front is dead. It is an open secret that almost nobody in first class, and less than half in business class, are actually paying the indicated prices but are on some discounted upgrade made available by frequent flyer status. I'm skeptical of the enhanced pricing squeezed from business class travelers model if they are so dependent on frequent flyers. I think it is more the business people paying full fare coach in order to get full refund ability and fee free changes so that they have flexibility when plans change

I know it was tried in the old business environment (some airline out of Milwaukee. I think) and failed, but maybe now is the time to try giving people more space for more money, eliminate all the many price points and frequent flyer stuff, and try to give a great, comfortable product at an acceptable price point - more like the golden age of air travel. The oft quoted 74 to 78% load factor needed just to break even is ridiculous, leading to a pack them in mentality that I think just wont 'fly' anymore

Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    This whole CoVid thing has been nothing but fear mongering and control. You can see it in what was allowed to open. Barbershops closed but liquor stores open, can't wash your dog but you can buy lottery tickets and 40s of Cobra.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This whole CoVid thing has been nothing but fear mongering and control. You can see it in what was allowed to open. Barbershops closed but liquor stores open, can't wash your dog but you can buy lottery tickets and 40s of Cobra.

These arguments seem really specious, and based on a fallacy (someone smarter can tell me which one).

"If A is closed, but B is open, it's all fake."
    Would you rather A and B closed? The fact is there has to be compromises and not everything can be closed and not everything can be open. You may not like where the line has been drawn, but that doesn't make mean the whole thing is a farce (it might be, but not for this reason).

And really, you can't figure out why a barbershop was closed, but a liquor store was open? Does the clerk spend twenty minutes of direct contact with your face when you buy that 40? :n00b:

Now, back to trying to keep this thread on topic (i.e. specific businesses)

Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    These arguments seem really specious, and based on a fallacy (someone smarter can tell me which one).

"If A is closed, but B is open, it's all fake."
    Would you rather A and B closed? The fact is there has to be compromises and not everything can be closed and not everything can be open. You may not like where the line has been drawn, but that doesn't make mean the whole thing is a farce (it might be, but not for this reason).

And really, you can't figure out why a barbershop was closed, but a liquor store was open? Does the clerk spend twenty minutes of direct contact with your face when you buy that 40? :n00b:

Now, back to trying to keep this thread on topic (i.e. specific businesses)
    Guess you haven't seen the ghetto liquor stores where they all just gather outside and drink.

The arguement is that personal hygiene is a no go and liquor is a go.

No dentist, no barber, no salon, no massage; yes to cirrhosis, alcoholism, lottery tickets and by proxy domestic abuse.

GMediC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2020
    US

The entire purpose of shelter in place orders and flattening the curve, was to prevent overwhelming hospital resources. If liqour stores closed, alcoholics would go into withdrawal and likely require hospitalization, thus using resources that were trying to protect in the first place.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Guess you haven't seen the ghetto liquor stores where they all just gather outside and drink.

The arguement is that personal hygiene is a no go and liquor is a go.

No dentist, no barber, no salon, no massage; yes to cirrhosis, alcoholism, lottery tickets and by proxy domestic abuse.
    So your problem isn't about some stores being closed, it's about liquor stores in general. Got it.

I've been to the 1500 - personal hygiene isn't primary concern among our tribe.

Again, there's other threads to carp about the lockdown / SIP / essential work. This thread is not for that.

Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    The entire purpose of shelter in place orders and flattening the curve, was to prevent overwhelming hospital resources. If liqour stores closed, alcoholics would go into withdrawal and likely require hospitalization, thus using resources that were trying to protect in the first place.

You mean like the hospitals that haven't seen a single CoVid case? They sure seem overwhelmed.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...pitals-went-largely-unused-will-be-shut-down/

The problem is the hospitals in general have been racking in the dollars for years but operating on razor thin budgets. Any large amount of anything will overwhelm them. Heaven forbid bad food get served at a large wedding.

Look at how large IU, Ball Memorial and Community are. How many buildings do they have?

GMediC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2020
    US
    You mean like the hospitals that haven't seen a single CoVid case? They sure seem overwhelmed.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...pitals-went-largely-unused-will-be-shut-down/

The problem is the hospitals in general have been racking in the dollars for years but operating on razor thin budgets. Any large amount of anything will overwhelm them. Heaven forbid bad food get served at a large wedding.

Look at how large IU, Ball Memorial and Community are. How many buildings do they have?

I would guess that our thoughts on healthcare and economic suicide due to Covid are probably pretty well in line, but Ive discussed that topic to death at other places, I'm simply not interested anymore. I was merely correcting your misconception of why liqour stores were open, looking back in hindsight doesn't change that reason.

Top Bottom