• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    3D printed gun causes growing concern among lawmakers | 7online.com

This story is full of so much fail and wrong.

In the video, they put the text up on the screen reading, "added a six-ounce chunk of steel into the body to make it undetectable by metal detectors in order to comply with the undetectable firearms act.", even as the text of the web page and the voice narration reading it got it right.

Then, there's the text of the web page getting it wrong when quoting Chucky Schumer talking about, "today I'm announcing a campaign to pass the Undetected Firearms Modernization Act to sound the alarm against this new threat.", only the web page content deleted the word Modernization, making it appear that Chucky was talking about the existing UFA.

So far has the editorial standards of the MSM fallen.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    More to the point, having to own an expensive piece of machinery that requires special feedstocks isn't exactly conducive to cheap guns for the average homeowner. Even if the cost comes down to reasonable prices we're still decades away from the ability to produce the level of quality a home machinist can do with a lathe and drillpress.

I had an IBM model 5150 in 1981, a decade later computers were orders of magnitude faster and more powerful, and 1/3rd the price. Now it's three decades later, the orders of magnitude are off the scale and I can buy a laptop for under $500 without trying. There's a computer everywhere, even places you don't think about having a computer. Your fridge, your car, stop lights, your phone, your home alarm system, your toaster, your television has dlna and internet connectivity. Your phone can remotely start your car, turn on or off you home lights, turn up the heat on a chilly night as you drive home, shoot some movies, and upload them to grandma's television in Arizona. None of this was here three decades ago.

These 3D printers will be cheap and plentiful in no time. As I've said before, we are looking at version 1.0 of the Star Trek replicator. You won't just be printing guns. New wall plates for your light switch, a new pair of shoes, a custom belt for a special occasion, a new lid for the sauce pan, new deadbolt on the side garage door. Unleash your imagination, composites can be inexpensive and reasonably strong. Strong enough today to make a gun, apparently. What about next year? Five years? Three decades? Bring it on.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a set of files, a hack saw and some metal. Don't forget a drill and tap and die set. On the shelf is metal bars and blocks.

Guess I'm a gun builder..............

I have a lathe, a mill, a drill press, 2 presses and a butt load of tools.....I would ask what that makes me but I am scared of the answer.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Worse. Once legislation like this passes and the JBTs get authority to enforce it, simply owning equipment to do this type of printing will become probable cause to search your house and computers, confiscate the equipment, any cash they find, and probably shoot your dog.

I know it sound far-fetched, but it was happening a lot in the 80s and 90s until they scared people who convert machine guns illegally deep into the woodwork.

Yes, shooting your dog will be the first thing they do. Can't have a dog that is barking.

coltgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    agree

There's no genie. Printed firearms will never be as accessible as what people will want. The govt and firearm companies (the latter with some serious weight behind it) will completely kill it. Seriously, "who" do you think has more to lose from printed weapons, the govt or a private business with an army of lobbyists?
    Got to agree it wont fly:ar15:

SecondhandSnake

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    So what happens to every swinging Richard with a milling machine that can pop out an AR receiver?

That's what always puzzled me. They freak out like someone is going to print a GAU-8 and wreak havoc with these simple plastic printers, but ignore the fact any idiot with basic hand tools can make a more substantial metal device.

Then again, I don't want to give them ideas.

Looks like Schumer's in on the new regulation, too. He's upset.

Schumer: U.S. needs to block 3D plastic guns like

As a former NY resident, I imagine 'ol Chuck going home each night to his mansion, wringing his hands, muttering "What useless feel-good legislation can I enact tomorrow to ensure my re-election?"

And for all the nonsense he proposed and passed, he didn't let you forget it either. He'd send out mass mailers and brochures to every NYS resident to let them know what an awesome job he's doing at wasting time and money. Makes me sick, but you know he'll be in office as long as he wants.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The genie is out of the bottle for now. Download the file to keep for future use and to scare the living hell out of the people who would try to stop it.

(deleted)

Last edited by a moderator:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Looks like the State Department has issued a takedown order and they're going to comply. Who needs legislation when you can regulate it? Unfortunately for the State Department, the file is already up at Pirate Bay and other places. It's really too late. 100K downloads and no guarantee that Mega will actually remove the file. LOL.

State Department Demands Takedown Of 3D-Printable Gun Files For Possible Export Control Violations - Forbes
    It's too late for sure - the harder they try to get something off of the internet the more rebels will stand up and make sure that doesn't happen.

Obviously our government doesn't really have a solid grasp on the internet - at least not the ones trying to regulate this.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Maybe he should just apply for a patent. The patent office has to publish the plans. You can look up plans for anything that is patented. Looking up a patent number and retrieving the information is easy. I've looked up the information and viewed the drawings for several of my guns.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any good draftsman can create the CAD files. The left tends to get degrees in social science thus have little understanding on how things are made. They think that only big companies make guns. Thus the idea that they can regulate them.

What people seem to forget is that the small outmaneuver the big. Government is too big, as are most corporations. Thus they are slow. Meanwhile we are small and can change directions very quickly.

It is like how the leftwing freaks comment that you cannot take on tanks and fighter jets with small arms. Guess what? That is what the Taliban and al Qa'eda are doing. Plus they make their own AK-47s, RPG-7s (anti tank rockets), ammo and explosives. if the left had a clue, they would be having to change their underwear frequently.

The other thing is that they left, given their education in social sciences, thinks that all problems can be solved with technology or laws or merely talking it to death. Does not work. Basically the left is working from a belief system created in the mid 1800s. Stuck in the past and no clue how to move forward.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    They think that only big companies make guns.

Man, you hit it square on the head there.

I've always asked, when they would talk to me, anti-gunners just how big they thought gun companies are. They have no clue how dinky even the "big" makers, Smith or Ruger, actually are.

Howie Metzenbaum or Ted Kennedy could write a check for Smith or Ruger and shut them down overnight. But they don't hate guns, they hate the people that have them, at least they people they are not giving orders to.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The genie is out of the bottle for now. Download the file to keep for future use and to scare the living hell out of the people who would try to stop it.

https://mega.co.nz/#!JplQVDDQ!Qi8kflIn8kMZl0hK96YW1h7RIc9vz2SfErzB-7qRV-0

Just tried clicking on this link, here's what came up:
    The file you are trying to download is no longer available.
    This could be due to the following reasons:
    The file has been removed because of a ToS/AUP violation.
    Invalid URL - the link you are trying to access does not exist
    The file has been deleted by the user.

Top Bottom