• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Here's an interesting animated map that shows the rates of unemployment as the recession has unfolded. It's like watching a horror movie unfold as it progresses.

The Map

It's not fully complete as it doesn't have the latest figures, but it's close enough.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    That was interesting. And scary at the same time. It one thing to speak of numbers its another to see it graphically.

Good find.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So what is so special about that single county in North Dakota that is the ONLY county on that map with 1.9% or less of unemployment? What does that county have (work wise) that has not been affected?

Nice find! +1

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    If I am reading my map right, it looks like Daviess Co is as good as it gets right now in Indiana. Hamilton Co is the only other red one.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Family Farms/ Ranches...

Well if this is the case then I think Congress needs to write a new LAW that BANS all family farms and ranches! Nobody can grow their own food either. We can't go & have the sheep mess up THE MASTER'S plan of having everyone under control. How dare those ND people NOT have unemployment. HOW DARE THEY!!!! :laugh:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Well if this is the case then I think Congress needs to write a new LAW that BANS all family farms and ranches! Nobody can grow their own food either. We can't go & have the sheep mess up THE MASTER'S plan of having everyone under control. How dare those ND people NOT have unemployment. HOW DARE THEY!!!! :laugh:

That is not as funny as you think...

The guys in DC have already been trying to figure out how to do that.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Jeremy,

A few months back there was a post in here on how Congress wanted to TAX anyone that has a homegrown garden and how the FDA would be allowed to "inspect" to ensure your food meets safety std. Bla, Bla, Bla...

In the end its all about POWER.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So what is so special about that single county in North Dakota that is the ONLY county on that map with 1.9% or less of unemployment? What does that county have (work wise) that has not been affected?

Nice find! +1

Other posters are correct. That is ranching country and badlands. Might be some oil/mining/geology jobs. I lived out that way for several years, and that is pretty rugged ground. Not a lot of population. The recession has really hit manufacturing jobs. Agricultural jobs do not neccessarily follow the same trends. Of course everyting is affected by the cost of energy and the strength of the American dollar.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    funny thing is, it says 31 million people currently unemployed, yet the new healthcare bill is set to extend benefits to 36 million....anyone else see something odd about that?

What the blurb at the bottom of the map fails to mention is that the 8.5% figure DOES NOT include those who settle for part time work or "discouraged" workers, which were included when unemployment was calculated during the Great Depression and most previous recessions.

When those numbers are included, as it is in U6, we are at 17.5% unemployment, which is territory we haven't been in since the Great Depression.

The worst part is, none of the "trusted experts" realize that the cause, as it usually is, is government intervention in markets.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    As a former student of sociology, I find this sort of thing fascinating.

A couple of hypotheses as to its progression and the nature of what this map reveals (so far):

The supposedly-more-advanced East and West Coasts have generally more rapid, if not more intense, unemployment rates...

The Mid-West and West are doing decently well in comparison to the rest of the nation - why? What industries or professions or attitudes or values contribute to these lower rates?

I'm betting it's an emphasis on the value of people and respect for the individual... or it could perhaps just be due to a lower population density in those areas...

Things like this intrigue me. I'd love to see an up-to-date map to see if these trends still hold true.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Jeremy,

A few months back there was a post in here on how Congress wanted to TAX anyone that has a homegrown garden and how the FDA would be allowed to "inspect" to ensure your food meets safety std. Bla, Bla, Bla...

In the end its all about POWER.

If this ever happens, that will be my SHJHTF indicator.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Did you notice that the counties aroung Wash DC aren't hurting as badly?

Every body has to cut back, except the people for whom the laws of economics don't apply.

Top Bottom