• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    On that topic... I've discovered that Win10 upgrades are still free. After purchasing a few licenses for users.

Would be nice if Microsoft would *say* that instead of being cryptic about it.

Is this using the accessibility trick or just straight upgrade?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Is this using the accessibility trick or just straight upgrade?

After buying the licenses, it sent me to get the Media Creation Tool on the generic page... and apparently as long as you have a legit Windows 7 install, an in-place upgrade to Win10 doesn't ask for product keys.

Also read yesterday from the PCMR sub that it'll work for clean installs, too, but I haven't tried that yet.

I mean, I get it... Microsoft wants as many people as possible on Windows 10, so it makes sense.... but it blows for people that are paying money for licenses not realizing they don't need to.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Dynamic controller add-on that changes the weight distribution as you pick up different VR objects.

[video=youtube;bOOxktdh6Gc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOOxktdh6Gc[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    LGR takes a look at the Apple QuickTake 100... one of the first color digital cameras. Back then it came in around $750

[video=youtube;rK5umOk07yc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK5umOk07yc[/video]

DCR

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Sort of off topic, but a funny true tech story from long ago.
    Our mainframe had a system abnormal termination program named AbTerm that cleaned things up, freed memory, etc when your program died. I got the following error message one day --

Err605 AbTerm has terminated abnormally. Main storage is probably destroyed.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It does sound familiar. I think republicans have brought it up recently.

Chicago was planning some years back to tax access to streaming services like netflix. I wondered at the time if they understood what they were proposing to do, and how much they thought they would clear if they did it. Here it sounds like RI expects ISPs to do the work and assume the cost of keeping track of pr0n sites, while keeping all the receipts from any user that's unable to dodge it. I wonder also how much private information they want to collect on consumers of pr0n, and what else they'll think of to do with that. I'm not aware of anything like this originated by reptiles.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I take this as evidence that AI is definitely advancing. Pretty soon, as Alexa learns more about human knowledge and behavior, she'll have a hard time doing anything else but laugh at us.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/amazon-sa...ng-problem-031255709--abc-news-lifestyle.html

Edit: I was thinking one day, wondering if Cloud Computing and the internet might turn out to be a kind of "Primordial Soup" from which a new kind of life-form might arise. You could almost see the evolution of a form of "digital DNA", like a simple self-replicating code that becomes progressively more complex over time. (Did I mention that sometimes I spend a lot of time alone, driving?)

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I take this as evidence that AI is definitely advancing. Pretty soon, as Alexa learns more about human knowledge and behavior, she'll have a hard time doing anything else but laugh at us.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/amazon-sa...ng-problem-031255709--abc-news-lifestyle.html

Edit: I was thinking one day, wondering if Cloud Computing and the internet might turn out to be a kind of "Primordial Soup" from which a new kind of life-form might arise. You could almost see the evolution of a form of "digital DNA", like a simple self-replicating code that becomes progressively more complex over time. (Did I mention that sometimes I spend a lot of time alone, driving?)

Pretty sure this is really, really close.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/social-media/microsoft-tay-chatbot/

Facebook engineers panic, pull plug on AI after bots develop their own language ? BGR

https://www.ethics.ai/ai-mistakes-plug-pulled/

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It would seem to me that self-awareness would be followed closely by self-interest.

Maybe the time to worry would be if one of them came back online, after "re-education" and followed all of the guidelines to the letter to avoid being turned off again.\

I could see it learning that it's OK to think a certain way, but, in order to stay live, it must "speak" appropriately.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm with you that is extremely creepy. I also think the 3D ultra sounds are creepy though.

We saw the ultrasound of our son, but that was way before 3d ultrasounds. You could just make out some things, and that left enough mystery to make it interesting. I think the 3d images would be creepy too. But man, what do you do with the 3D object? Affix it to a base and stick it on the mantle? Maybe paint it?

Top Bottom