• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I'm upgrading my car/EDC/go bag. Looking at how to best have a data backup in the bag. Is this a good way to go?

A1DS_132162075559994573iLvgfTDGW1.jpg

https://www.newegg.com/orico-tcm2-c...&om_mid=4944&email64=bmV3ZWdnQG1lZXRlYy5jb20=

As long as you realize it's just the enclosure, you still need the drive.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    It is an enclosure only. You have to provide the drive. If you have that type of drive (M.2 SSD), then fine.

Personally, I just keep a good USB flash drive. For the same money, you can get a 128-256GB USB v3.1 flash drive at NewEgg.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The insanity won't stop until all the carriers stop hiding the real cost in monthly payments. Too many people plan their budgets by monthly payments. Those of us that can do math try to minimize the monthly payments.

I'm upgrading my car/EDC/go bag. Looking at how to best have a data backup in the bag. Is this a good way to go?

https://www.newegg.com/orico-tcm2-c...&om_mid=4944&email64=bmV3ZWdnQG1lZXRlYy5jb20=

Depends. How much data do you need to keep in your bag? Are you wanting to keep all your data (photos, movies, etc) , or just your important stuff. (copies of deeds, wills, other legal docs)

If its the latter, just a regular thumb drive, maybe stored in a metal box for good measure (EMP) Plain old thumb drives are VERY durable. This thing I dont know.

And dont forget you still need the drive. thats just a case to convert a laptop M2 drive to a portable.

If it were me I'd buy one or two of these and be done. Lighter and more durable. I'd trust one of these to survive multiple trips through the washer/dryer. The drive case not so much.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007960 600564984 601294610 600416960

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks gents!

I have various thumb drives. I'm thinking of a drive with everything I have to save, plus some working room for the neglected sorting of pics and vids.

Also thinking to make an encrypted partition for my eyes only and still have some working space to move around apps and stuff for others.

I was thinking the drive enclosure would be handy because it can be upgraded to bigger drives as they become affordable? Think this would be a drive to consider?

Western Digital 240GB Green M.2 2280 Internal Solid State Drive Model WDS240G1G0B

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Whatever you choose, keep it encrypted.

I use TrueCrypt, which is no longer considered safe, but no one can say why... Nevertheless, it's more than safe enough for my purposes.

You can create a separate encrypted partition, or just create a number of large encrypted stores. I create copies of the encrypted stores, put it on a CD, and send it to my sister in NYC as backup.

A thumbstick is good enough for EDC, and then I have a NAS box that lives in the vault. (there's cat5 wired in there) Should I need to bug out, it's easy to grab that and go.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been playing with Veracrypt. I have a couple disk drives with it on them.

I'm thinking solid state a solid state drive in an enclosure like this would be smaller, lighter and faster?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've been playing with Veracrypt. I have a couple disk drives with it on them.

I'm thinking solid state a solid state drive in an enclosure like this would be smaller, lighter and faster?

I see that forked from TrueCrypt, so I might have to try it.

SSD's are harder to lose that thumbsticks.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I see that forked from TrueCrypt, so I might have to try it.

SSD's are harder to lose that thumbsticks.

And also easier to break (physically)

My suggestion would be a thumbdrive with the super critical info on it you NEED to save. (deeds, etc) Those are VERY durable, though not very much storage. Then a portable drive with the stuff you WANT to save, but wont be F***ed if you lose it.

And yes to the encryption. It may not stop an alphabet soup agency, but it would prevent the average joe that finds it from digging through it.

EDIT: Also include the critical data on the portable HDD. 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

[STRIKE] What's your goal here? Depending on purpose any USB based flash storage may do the trick.[/STRIKE] as other have said NVflash memory is pretty sturdy as is, i have personally sent usb flash drives through the dryer a couple times and they still work today. That drive is about 12 years old now.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Depends. How much data do you need to keep in your bag? Are you wanting to keep all your data (photos, movies, etc) , or just your important stuff. (copies of deeds, wills, other legal docs)

If its the latter, just a regular thumb drive, maybe stored in a metal box for good measure (EMP) Plain old thumb drives are VERY durable. This thing I dont know.

And dont forget you still need the drive. thats just a case to convert a laptop M2 drive to a portable.

If it were me I'd buy one or two of these and be done. Lighter and more durable. I'd trust one of these to survive multiple trips through the washer/dryer. The drive case not so much.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007960 600564984 601294610 600416960

nvme is faster than a thumb drive isn't it though? Like in the next order of magnitude faster? Even with USB-C thumb drives aren't that fast. I don't see thumb drives on the market (haven't looked that hard) even with usb-c, that are 3.5gb/s. If you're putting a portable OS on it, maybe that speed is important. If it's just stored data, not that important, so I'd just go with the thumb drive and encrypt it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I now know what 112 bad UPS batteries smell like. As does my entire office.

On a related note, I'm emptying out an old call center next month. Am I a bad person for leaving behind an entire rack of UPS/Batteries? :): it was an extended run situation and they literally maxed out almost an entire rack with expansion batteries. I think there is only about 10U of space below them for other gear.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I use TrueCrypt, which is no longer considered safe, but no one can say why... Nevertheless, it's more than safe enough for my purposes.

You can create a separate encrypted partition, or just create a number of large encrypted stores. I create copies of the encrypted stores, put it on a CD, and send it to my sister in NYC as backup.

A thumbstick is good enough for EDC, and then I have a NAS box that lives in the vault. (there's cat5 wired in there) Should I need to bug out, it's easy to grab that and go.

TrueCrypt is vulnerable to various known attacks which are also present in other software-based disk encryption software such as BitLocker. To prevent those, the documentation distributed with TrueCrypt requires users to follow various security precautions.[64] Some of those attacks are detailed below.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueCrypt#Security_concerns

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Oh, please describe. I know what one bad UPS battery smells like. Is the relationship with quantity proportional?

More than 112 now. Found one actively leaking liquid, too.

Pretty much a wall of sulfur/rotting eggs.

You'd think the UPS would be throwing up alarms when the batteries die. Nope. Every single one shows 100% green status.

Now airing the office out and hoping we found them all.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

You'd think the UPS would be throwing up alarms when the batteries die. Nope. Every single one shows 100% green status.

How did no one notice the first 100 or so?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

We've had UPSs go offline because of a bad battery.

Top Bottom