• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The only reason apple was "percieved" as more secure was because the majority of hackers were hacking into Microsoft/unix based system. Lots more $$$ to be made in those systems.

Big $$$ is still to be made on those systems vs Apple. As l ok ng as that continues apple will be "safe" not because its secure but because it's not worth the time.

volksjager

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    iOS 13 now supports mouse controls. Kinda.

For anyone like me who carries an iPad around and needs to remote into Windows boxes for remote support, this is a Godsend. Although Steve Jobs swore that under no circumstances would Apple ever support a mouse on iOS, it appears they appeased the disabled crowd by adding support as an assistive technology.

Its not straightforward like other systems; you cant just go into Settings/Bluetooth and pair a mouse. Doing so flat out wont work. But if you follow these steps, you can do it.

https://www.macworld.com/article/3405887/how-to-use-a-mouse-with-your-ipad-or-iphone.html

Ive already tested this out and I can work SO much faster. Now I dont think I'll need to take my laptop on vacation anymore. (sometimes I get calls to fix stuff nobody else can)

Yes many RDP and server OS' support touch screen mode, but often its just not the same, especially with fat fingers on a smallish screen.

I think I saw that Xbox and PS controllers can be sync’d as well. Has anyone here tried that?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The only reason apple was "percieved" as more secure was because the majority of hackers were hacking into Microsoft/unix based system. Lots more $$$ to be made in those systems.

Big $$$ is still to be made on those systems vs Apple. As l ok ng as that continues apple will be "safe" not because its secure but because it's not worth the time.

Negative, ghostrider. See:sandboxing

Edit: I don't consider "I can add a lot of software to my purchase to make it operate like a Mac" to be equivalent to "It's as good as a mac" - and we haven't even talked about plug and play or stability

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Negative, ghostrider. See:sandboxing

Edit: I don't consider "I can add a lot of software to my purchase to make it operate like a Mac" to be equivalent to "It's as good as a mac" - and we haven't even talked about plug and play or stability

In my little bit of dabbling with Linux, I think it has either MS or Apple beat by a mile. Simple, clean, no clutter or over head OS. I have an old laptop that I would like to (have a professional) convert to a dedicated Linux machine and was thinking an SSD would be the way to go.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my little bit of dabbling with Linux, I think it has either MS or Apple beat by a mile. Simple, clean, no clutter or over head OS. I have an old laptop that I would like to (have a professional) convert to a dedicated Linux machine and was thinking an SSD would be the way to go.

Doesn't really take a professional. Just start with a Linux Live DVD (most Linux distros offer that option) to run Linux for a while and test it without altering the current software. It will run slower off the DVD, but will be fine for testing. When you decide you like it, you then have the option to install either as a second OS for dual boot or to replace your current OS. An SSD does run noticably faster than a spinning drive, but costs more for the same space.

I run Linux Mint, but there are a number of good distributions available. You can find the list here.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Go to pendrive linux and make a bootable usb with Linux Mint (I'm running cinnamon on an old laptop). Surprisingly quick and a familiar to Windows users gui.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

You can install Ubuntu easily. Its good for beginners.

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

Isn't the old joke that hackers aren't interested in the family photos on your iMac.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The hell is wrong with me when I feel bad for shutting down a server for the last time. I feel like I'm putting down a dog or something.
    It means you decommissioned it at the right time. If you wait too long you end up taking it out in the parking lot with a fire ax.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Another plug for Linux Mint.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Any fingerprint unlocks Galaxy S10, Samsung warns

giphy.gif

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Does anyone listen to Darknet Diaries podcast?
    Screen-Shot-2019-09-18-at-10.55.58-PM.png

CM probably should, but it's intriguing stories and well produced scripts is good enough for even mild techies to follow along. It's not just a bunch of nerds rambling on for two hours - it's stories.

Anyways, the last one had a bit of it talking about a iPhone exploit - all they needed to do was send a text message - the user didn't have to open an attachment, click a link, or even read the message.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The hell is wrong with me when I feel bad for shutting down a server for the last time. I feel like I'm putting down a dog or something.

We had a meeting to discuss our future replacement for a digital information-gathering and collaborative review process that I built with InfoPath and SharePoint. It's the first really complex thing that I built, seven years ago. But InfoPath is going away and we have to find another platform.

I spent way too much time during that meeting, trying to figure out the best way to print the entire design view, and wondering if it would look silly hanging on my wall.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Does anyone listen to Darknet Diaries podcast?
    Screen-Shot-2019-09-18-at-10.55.58-PM.png

CM probably should, but it's intriguing stories and well produced scripts is good enough for even mild techies to follow along. It's not just a bunch of nerds rambling on for two hours - it's stories.

Anyways, the last one had a bit of it talking about a iPhone exploit - all they needed to do was send a text message - the user didn't have to open an attachment, click a link, or even read the message.

Are you sure you/they aren't referring to the FaceTime bug where including a party's number in a >2 way conversation would partially activate their phone (usually microphone) even if they declined to answer the call?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Are you sure you/they aren't referring to the FaceTime bug where including a party's number in a >2 way conversation would partially activate their phone (usually microphone) even if they declined to answer the call?

I am.

The exploit (potentially) took advantage of the iOS's internal "preview" where it would just good ahead and peek at the contents - including zip files and websites.

Pretty fascinating: https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-spying-karma/

The gritty details from Project Zero: https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2019/08/the-fully-remote-attack-surface-of.html

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Doesn't really take a professional. Just start with a Linux Live DVD (most Linux distros offer that option) to run Linux for a while and test it without altering the current software. It will run slower off the DVD, but will be fine for testing. When you decide you like it, you then have the option to install either as a second OS for dual boot or to replace your current OS. An SSD does run noticably faster than a spinning drive, but costs more for the same space.

I run Linux Mint, but there are a number of good distributions available. You can find the list here.

Go to pendrive linux and make a bootable usb with Linux Mint (I'm running cinnamon on an old laptop). Surprisingly quick and a familiar to Windows users gui.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I had Mint on a bootable thumb drive. Had to make a slight change to the BIOS to change the boot order I think, to where if the thumb drive were present, it would boot from there. Pudly (from here) talked me through it, and Hop, I think you even gave me some advice when my first one stopped working. Once that computer died, I just have never gotten around to doing it on this one.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Were you okay with Mint? If you were, then you could certainly use the same process and install the latest version to your new system.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Just as internet exploder is the best browser for downloading a better browser, I had long ago gone fully Linux, so to me, windoze was the best "operating system" to download the full ISO image of Mint Serena and burn it on a disc. From there, you can install it as a total replacement or a dual boot. I'm up to Tessa now. I still have one box dual boot because of a printer that I haven't managed to convince WINE to run right. Oddball printers can be a little temperamental.

Top Bottom