• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Lucky you, that's a great deal. I owned a v1 for a year, until the wifi died. Got a replacement that also had dead wifi and the next replacement did too so I finally realized that they had a problem. I ended up taking a refund. This was (I believe) a couple of years ago, so I'm betting they've fixed the issue. I've been tempted to buy a current generation model, because I absolutely loved mine. Small enough to take anywhere, plus you could read it in full sunlight without issue. Hope you love yours :yesway:

Got it yesterday... looks like Amazon did end up cancelling some people's orders... not mine though.

One observation so far: E-ink is very cool.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Finally dropped a Franklin on a Huion INSPIROY Q11K Wireless Graphic Drawing Tablet.

Never had a drawing tablet before, this one is pretty big and has some solid reviews. Will have to see if I can get used to using it over pencil/paper.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Discovery of rare-earth minerals off Japan coast secures 780 years of industrial demand: study | South China Morning Post

This is straight out of an anime called Code Geass.

Scientists from Japan just announced that they found a huge deposit of rare-earth elements off the coast of Japan... which have key uses in military and nuclear technology:

"The minerals found includes Europium, which vital in the development of phosphors and ceramics and has applications in the defence and nuclear sectors. Terbium and dysprosium are also critical in defence technologies, ceramics and advanced magnets."

Also, Japan has so much of it that they can supply the whole world forever:

"The finding extrapolates that the mineral deposits “has the potential to supply these metals on a semi-infinite basis to the world.”

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For the first time ever, Microsoft will distribute it's own version of Linux

Smith said that by Microsoft's reckoning, the fact that most new gadgetry comes with a processor is cause for concern: In 2016, unsecured cameras and other appliances were harnessed by bad guys to mount a massive cyberattack that took down major websites for hours. Years later, people are still buying smart gadgets, but security hasn't always improved.

To that end, Azure Sphere takes a combined approach, using hardware, software, and the cloud to hopefully solve this problem.

First, Microsoft has come up with a design for a new, more powerful kind of microprocessor, which it will make available to actual chip manufacturers for free.

Second, Microsoft has developed Azure Sphere OS, the Linux-based operating system that will run on those chips — Smith says that while Microsoft is a "Windows company," a full-fledged version of its flagship operating system was too big and too unwieldy for what it had in mind.

Literally a botnet

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    I thought I was reading the Gaming thread and was like "man there's a lot of non-gaming talking happening lately" but then I realized I was just an idiot. :ugh:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I thought I was reading the Gaming thread and was like "man there's a lot of non-gaming talking happening lately" but then I realized I was just an idiot. :ugh:

Well here's a little bit of both.

Russia is blocking entire chunks of the internet just to prevent people from accessing the Telegram app. Nintendo's online services affected

DbFZ6VEWsAE-KF-.jpg:small

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

So rather than admit they have s***ty security on the portal, they charge a kid with hacking.

And I'm guessing here... the kid saw a pattern in the URL, tried various combinations, they struck on one that opened up to a whole treasure trove of stuff he's not suppose to see. If it was an adult, then yeah, they should know that digging around like that could have dire consequences...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So rather than admit they have s***ty security on the portal, they charge a kid with hacking.

And I'm guessing here... the kid saw a pattern in the URL, tried various combinations, they struck on one that opened up to a whole treasure trove of stuff he's not suppose to see. If it was an adult, then yeah, they should know that digging around like that could have dire consequences...

No guessing required.

"A government employee discovered the breach by accident in April when they found that a typing error in the number at the end of the website’s address granted access to documents he didn’t have the necessary permissions to view. "

And that's bull****. He had the necessary permissions to view the files evidenced by the fact he was able to view the files. That's not hacking.

The real problem is that the files he was able to see didn't have the necessary permissions applied, OR HE COULDN'T SEE THEM. I would hope this case would be an easy win in the US. Canada? Not so sure they're not bat**** crazy. If that kid gets 10 years for this then Canada has really, really gone full retard.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No guessing required.

"A government employee discovered the breach by accident in April when they found that a typing error in the number at the end of the website’s address granted access to documents he didn’t have the necessary permissions to view. "

And that's bull****. He had the necessary permissions to view the files evidenced by the fact he was able to view the files. That's not hacking.

The real problem is that the files he was able to see didn't have the necessary permissions applied, OR HE COULDN'T SEE THEM. I would hope this case would be an easy win in the US. Canada? Not so sure they're not bat**** crazy. If that kid gets 10 years for this then Canada has really, really gone full retard.
    They are playing the, just because my yard doesn't have a fence doesn't make it alright to steal stuff out of my yard., card. While this was an extraordinarily easy "hack", the information takes is privileged and taking it is against the law in most countries. The only question at this point is does the punishment fit the crime. Imo if all he did was download the docs then 10 years is a bit much. If he realized what he had and was working on selling the info then it might be appropriate.

Top Bottom