• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I'm confused here. How do you see an improvement that is not there?

+1, if one keeps an eye around, they will see the economy has improved. If they stare at the news and think it's all claptrap, then they will end up living in the woods, tin foil hat on, eating beans out of a can. :D It's looking into the details, PAST the palather that is hard. :twocents:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Really?

Buy it cheap and stack it deep! ( Hey, it's my money)

Yes and no. If you have a gun in that caliber, great! Buy cheap, stack deep. If you don't, that's where I have a problem... yeah, yeah, yeah, give me the "it's my money" or "free market" crap as much as one wants, but it still comes down to greed.

Think about it: Say I buy a 100 round pack of .45, clear out the shelf, don't have a pistol in that caliber. Buying it for 30 a pack. Then what? Why would one do that? Oh, that's right, so they can sell it later after pricing has gone up due to demand so they can get more money to blow on booze or some other hick entertainment like air hockey or blackjack. Am I buying it so I can give it to someone later on at same price? No. Am I buying it because I feel the .gov will clean the shelf off and destroy the ammo in some ban fantasy? No. The only reason the hilljack hoarder buys is to make money. Anything wrong with that? Technically, yes, especially when it prevents folks that need the ammo from buying it as well on principal.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Yes and no. If you have a gun in that caliber, great! Buy cheap, stack deep. If you don't, that's where I have a problem... yeah, yeah, yeah, give me the "it's my money" or "free market" crap as much as one wants, but it still comes down to greed.

Think about it: Say I buy a 100 round pack of .45, clear out the shelf, don't have a pistol in that caliber. Buying it for 30 a pack. Then what? Why would one do that? Oh, that's right, so they can sell it later after pricing has gone up due to demand so they can get more money to blow on booze or some other hick entertainment like air hockey or blackjack. Am I buying it so I can give it to someone later on at same price? No. Am I buying it because I feel the .gov will clean the shelf off and destroy the ammo in some ban fantasy? No. The only reason the hilljack hoarder buys is to make money. Anything wrong with that? Technically, yes, especially when it prevents folks that need the ammo from buying it as well on principal.

i actually kinda liked walmarts 2 boxes per person policy. during the last scare, i actually was able to get a box of 45 a few times and go shooting because Walmart wouldn't allow the first person to buy all 2000 rounds they had.

you can stock up all you want. you can even sell it at a profit if you want. but you might just be a jerk.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    I don't buy what I don't shoot. I've been called worse things than a jerk before. References available on request (x's).

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    I know obama has no problem going around things. he's known for that. but he cant change the second amendment but what he can do is put a hugh tax or whatever he would call it, since he doesnt raise taxes. and make buying it almost impossible

Mcglockin7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    i actually kinda liked walmarts 2 boxes per person policy. during the last scare, i actually was able to get a box of 45 a few times and go shooting because Walmart wouldn't allow the first person to buy all 2000 rounds they had.

you can stock up all you want. you can even sell it at a profit if you want. but you might just be a jerk.

The dealers at gun shows are just as much to blame for this... every place I stopped to look at ammo tried telling me that I should be getting cases because by summer it won't be around.

nhgluff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    On the subject, thinking of building a few AK-47's and 74's my self and sitting on them for when prices go up. Worst case I'll make 50 a hundred a piece on them quick.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Gander mt. is a total joke.
    I tend to use the local gun shops when the pricing gets at least near what i would pay on line with the shipping. If you look you will find the deals. I do what I can to support them even paying a bit more for the convenience of walking out with product in hand and knowing they will be open the next time I need them.
    For those who are straight up capitalists and buy just to hoard for resale, bite me. Remember, you do not have to buy a ticket from a scalper if you use your head. If you do, do not pitch a b$#@* about the cost. Scalpers are like lawyers, they serve a purpose but nobody likes them....until you need them.
    Yes, the economy is opening up but just a bit. Many are still with out work. This was coming for a long time. Many were caught with their knickers down. I was one of those. I am still employed but all our 401 K' were reduced to 201 K's or worse. That is why I am still working. Plans were to get out this year.

Acole

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    nhgluff: You can, and should, use the edit button (down near the bottom of your posts) in instances like these, instead of making three one-line posts.

Dunham's has a special on .223 Rem Wolf ammo right now. 5.30/box of 20. That's the CLOSEST I've seen to internet pricing in person. A surplus store wanted 12/box of 20 for Federal XM193. Why are brick/mortar stores so much more expensive than online? Is it just election season? (I've only recently started shooting.)

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    I just got my first AR, but only half because of the topic of this thread. Dang this thing is gonna be expensive to feed. Rimfire to Mosin to this is a big jump! Every time I see a price per box, I remind myself that I need more than that to even fill the magaine.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I just got my first AR, but only half because of the topic of this thread. Dang this thing is gonna be expensive to feed. Rimfire to Mosin to this is a big jump! Every time I see a price per box, I remind myself that I need more than that to even fill the magaine.

Buy in bulk, it is the only way to keep up with a shooting hobby.:ar15:
    If you get a 5.45x39 upper you can feed it for about .10 cents a round or less from here.

5.45x39 Ammunition

BEHalper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    This my first election year frenzy that I've had to go through. I've only gotten into guns in the last 2 or 3 years. My first pistol was a Hi Point .380 and it was the wrong time to buy a .380 because even then, you couldn't find .380 ammo. I ended up finding 1 box of UMC at the local Wally World and I thought was going to end up in a physical altercation over it because the gentlemen behind was thoroughly PO'd that I bought it.

I thought to myself, "Man, this is freaking ridiculous!", and that's pretty much what started it all for me. I started talking to some friends that knew more about guns than I did. I made a list of guns that I wanted to get and the calibers they were chambered in, and from that point on, I started buying 1 or 2 boxes of ammo a week, even if I hadn't acquired the pistol or rifle yet.

Even now, I still try to pick up some ammo every week, but I have a feeling that's about to become real difficult. I'm right in the middle of a 300 black build and I'm having trouble finding the parts that I want for it. So I'm sure between the election "scare" and it being a new and popular round, finding ammo is going to be difficult. I guess I'll be buying extra LC brass and making my own.

jeepville

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    New Castle
    I ordered an ak from classic arms 2 weeks ago and I know their phones lines were jammed and I asked the lady she said they were swamped.
    I just got one because the price is good and I have always wanted one. And kind of kicking myself in the pants for not picking a Bulgarian up at the gun show 4 years ago for $100. He had crates of them sitting there.
    But fast forward 4 years and too much to build another ar so lets try an ak. Its fun so far!

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    This kind of caught me by surprise! I went to order my .458 stuff for next year's deer season, and virtually NOTHING for an AR is in stock, anywhere (that has good prices)!

Luckily, most stuff is showing a 1-3 month lead time, so I've still got time (since I ordered everything yesterday), but damn!

Mike

Top Bottom