Not open for further replies.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Greed has put us in this position. I am more than willing to pay a little more for items made here but it better be of higher quality.

Some of this we did to ourselves. Many of you were not around/old enough to recall the 70s & 80s when American manufacturing put out crap at premium prices. This was the beginning of the end. You could buy foreign made electronics, appliances and cars that way outperformed/outlasted the domestic made equivalents and at A lower price. Instead of stepping up their game these companies just moved everything overseas and now no longer exist. Agree, I would pay more but the product cannot be crap.

We need to bring back industrial arts programs in high schools to train young people to go right to work. Higher education has failed us.

Agree with this. The elitist left pushed college for everyone and ignored that people could make a good middle class life for themselves in the trades. Yes I have several college degrees but that is not in everyones wheelhouse and I might have been better off in a trade. I wasted 6-7 productive years in my youth trying to find the ’profession’ that was right for me. If I had gone into a trade I would have likely eventually started my own company and would likely be as well off or more well off than I am now.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Rodent issues with wiring went way up when pthalates were replaced by epoxidized soybean oil as a plasticizer for the PVC insulation. Greenies are being stubborn about changing back even though the reason for leaving pthalates was really sketchy.

Building a lot of stuff here in the US is a great idea and I hope it gets started soon. Banks though, particularly those with "international" management may not see that as a good loan. They will figure that when the crisis is over, USA facilities will be back up against the labor price differential and face a declining market share.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Morning Czickoos! :coffee:

We’ve been using Valentine1 radar detectors for a long time. My only beef is that they stepped back from their guarantee of never letting it become obsolete. It used to be that as they added new features, you could send yours in and they would bring it up to current specs for about $100. A couple of years ago the changed the case design and you cannot upgrade an old one any longer. Now, they just give a $100 credit towards a new one. With new ones running $500, upgrading 3 of them is a salty proposition.
    Driving the speed limit is free. :stickpoke:

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    The world is more fragile than we know...
    Yes.....just look at the shelves in Walmart......better yet go to the Southtown Walmart in Fort Wayne.......ya almost get the whole Iraqi war torn experience.......Burmese speaking their native tongue, wearing drapes and sandals....complaining of the cold.....cause they don't wear socks.......Muslims, wondering why there's no Aks for sale at the gun counter.....complaining ya need a license to fish......the help wearing earbuds cranked to who knows what.....you have to yell to get their attention........this is not the America I grew up in ladies and gentleman......oh, I forgot......and Catlin Jenners......

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    i read somewhere a couple of weeks back that there's only 1 place that makes the base components for the chips. they're builing a second factory but it will be another year before the start production
    Of course they (GM) could just use the existing Delco plant in Kokomo all they need to do is install the tooling because they took it out when the plant shut down.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Just saw that Ford is stopping production of the F-150 due to chip shortage. What will be next?
    Talked to a Fort Wayne GM worker, while I was freezing in the cold, and by the way, he was impressed that I still cared what his gas plumbing looked like after I was done.... I paint, Rusty!!! I don't care what the temp is.....I call it "freeze drying", but I do put it on HOT!!!! that seems to help.
    He told me they are getting chips.....its the supply chain. They are SHORT something or several things each week......trucker shortages, manufacturer delays......COVID sickness.....or I mean.......
    CHINESE BIO-Weapon gone bad!!!!!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Rodent issues with wiring went way up when pthalates were replaced by epoxidized soybean oil as a plasticizer for the PVC insulation. Greenies are being stubborn about changing back even though the reason for leaving pthalates was really sketchy.

Building a lot of stuff here in the US is a great idea and I hope it gets started soon. Banks though, particularly those with "international" management may not see that as a good loan. They will figure that when the crisis is over, USA facilities will be back up against the labor price differential and face a declining market share.
    Also, in some cases under current environmental requirements that are things that just can't be done here or again in anywhere near a competitive way.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yes.....just look at the shelves in Walmart......better yet go to the Southtown Walmart in Fort Wayne.......ya almost get the whole Iraqi war torn experience.......Burmese speaking their native tongue, wearing drapes and sandals....complaining of the cold.....cause they don't wear socks.......Muslims, wondering why there's no Aks for sale at the gun counter.....complaining ya need a license to fish......the help wearing earbuds cranked to who knows what.....you have to yell to get their attention........this is not the America I grew up in ladies and gentleman......oh, I forgot......and Catlin Jenners......
    And now that I can generally source things elsewhere and afford better than what Walmart supplies, I don't step foot in one if at all possible. No knock on those that do, I simply choose not to for my own well being of not having to put up with these things. I know patience makes his living there, so again no knock, just my personal choice.

I'm still extremely thrifty, but value is more than just price.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    We had one a number of years ago. I thought it was amazing. Wife hated it. We now have a hybrid design which we both find just ok.

Guess that how marriage works?
    Yeah, I hear ya. I want a Purple but Monica is dead set against it. Guess we'll have to compromise... :(

No problem. In a few years you will be old enough to get side by side beds or maybe even your own room.

Tried that and loved it. Gave Monica the master bedroom and I took one of the smaller bedrooms. Life was good, but Monica hated it. We're both back to the master bedroom now. Yay.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

Well….I grew up and started adulthood largely in the NYC area and that’s how it looked when I grew up. Diversity everywhere. Diversity of culture, language, appearances and experiences.

The homogenous society of Indiana seemed unusual to me.

Now I will say that there was a greater desire to assimilate to America than exists today. As an example, my immigrant grandparents did not allow us to learn their native language as kids. He came to America to be an American. He didn’t forget his heritage but considered himself and American-Italian and not an Italian-American.

CZ….

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yeah, I hear ya. I want a Purple but Monica is dead set against it. Guess we'll have to compromise... :(

Tried that and loved it. Gave Monica the master bedroom and I took one of the smaller bedrooms. Life was good, but Monica hated it. We're both back to the master bedroom now. Yay.
    We went with the adjustable split king frames and the I think the beauty rest black hybrid mattresses. Crazy pricey, but what my wife wanted. That said, she still ends up on the couch alot from her own choice. Like you, doesn't bother me much because I'm an incredibly light sleeper and she can snore like a freight train sometimes.

I've been known to wake up due to the cat snoring. Not saying I don't snore,but everything around here sleeps much harder than I do. Other than during the first hour or so I can hear a gnat fart at the other end of the house when I'm sleeping.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Well….I grew up and started adulthood largely in the NYC area and that’s how it looked when I grew up. Diversity everywhere. Diversity of culture, language, appearances and experiences.

The homogenous society of Indiana seemed unusual to me.

Now I will say that there was a greater desire to assimilate to America than exists today. As an example, my immigrant grandparents did not allow us to learn their native language as kids. He came to America to be an American. He didn’t forget his heritage but considered himself and American-Italian and not an Italian-American.

CZ….
    This is great.....but seems to be lost. When you go into a McDonalds in Miami, Florida... Spanish is BOLD and bigger across the menu with English in small subtitles....

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    We went with the adjustable split king frames and the I think the beauty rest black hybrid mattresses. Crazy pricey, but what my wife wanted. That said, she still ends up on the couch alot from her own choice. Like you, doesn't bother me much because I'm an incredibly light sleeper and she can snore like a freight train sometimes.

I've been known to wake up due to the cat snoring. Not saying I don't snore,but everything around here sleeps much harder than I do. Other than during the first hour or so I can hear a gnat fart at the other end of the house when I'm sleeping.

Yep, same for me. Such a light sleeper that it's not funny. Worst of all, if I wake up after 4 - 5 hours, I have a really hard time getting back to sleep. Makes for some really bad nights. Of course, Monica snores like a freight train as well, so that's all the more better... :rolleyes:

Biggest problem right now though is our mattress. I bought one of those bed in a box mattresses that was rated highly, but just didn't pan out. Seemed fine for us for the first year, but after ~18 months I kept waking up with back and side pain. I need to get something else soon, but we have a king size bed, so it's gonna be expensive.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yep, same for me. Such a light sleeper that it's not funny. Worst of all, if I wake up after 4 - 5 hours, I have a really hard time getting back to sleep. Makes for some really bad nights. Of course, Monica snores like a freight train as well, so that's all the more better... :rolleyes:

Biggest problem right now though is our mattress. I bought one of those bed in a box mattresses that was rated highly, but just didn't pan out. Seemed fine for us for the first year, but after ~18 months I kept waking up with back and side pain. I need to get something else soon, but we have a king size bed, so it's gonna be expensive.
    If you get a split king adjustable frame, each person can pick their mattress since it's really just 2 twin XLs. We went with the same ones, but could have easily picked different mattresses.

Added benefit of the split king adjustable is that you don't have to agree on position of the head/foot tilt, etc.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    When I go into a Burmese house, it's like stepping in the sands of Iraq again. Big Burmese flag with lots of Arabic writing banners on the wall, no furniture, BUT a 70" big screen on the wall. Big bags, 40#+, of rice on the floor, with strange, non-English writing on the bag, with kids playing X-Box or Sony Playstation 4, playing Call of Duty 4....not as US Rangers, or US Seals......BUT the jihadists, killing our boys in blue and multi-cam patterns......smiling as I step around to get them in heat and comfort.....UGH!!!!
    They aren't learning American values, or speaking English.....in fact the neon Mosque pictures they have in every home would send chills up the spine of every 11b, who has been in combat, clearing bedouin villages, looking for IED's, cell phone detonaters, RPGs.......now don't get me wrong.....I'm not a racist....I've just been shot at, while having the threat of ROE in my pocket, because "we're here to win the hearts and minds of the people", who have hated us since Christ walked along the Sea of Galilee.
    Watching home cell phone videos from friends in Czech Republic, who know friends in Ukraine.....not a pretty world we're living in. I just hope if it goes south for Putin, he doesn't press a "red button".....nukes today are no joke!!!! Not like the "small hand grenades" that went off at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield

CZ….
    I grew up in NJ/NY but moved here in the late 60 as I entered Jr. High. It was quite the culture shock. My grandfather had emigrated to the US (Cincinnati/northern KY) in 1905 from the Ukraine which was then part of the Russian Empire along with his parents, 2 brothers and 2 sisters. He wanted everything American for his family and worked hard to become an American. His eldest son (my father) made him proud serving in WW2, his middle son served in Korea. He always identified as an American Jew from Russia, not as a Russian.

CZ….

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom