• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My family was here prior to the party. We came over prior to the Civil War. I'll always see Confederates soldiers as those, regardless of their individual motives, sought to prop up a govt that believed in keeping other men in bondage simply due to the color of their skin.

There is that, and I can respect that too.

But the way I see it, like others have said, it's always the common man who does most of the fighting, suffering, and dying for the causes of the rich man.

The common man's motives seem to me to always be more pure than the rich man's sometimes are.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My family was here prior to the party. We came over prior to the Civil War. I'll always see Confederates soldiers as those, regardless of their individual motives, sought to prop up a govt that believed in keeping other men in bondage simply due to the color of their skin.

The aristocracy used the common people's pride and prejudice to get them to fight their war. I guess I blame the plantation owners more.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My family was late to the party. We came over after the civil war.

But I'll never see the confederate soldier as any less, or any different than any other American soldier from any other American war.

My family was here, but a bunch of yellow-bellied Quakers. :(

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My family was here, but a bunch of yellow-bellied Quakers. :(

Actually, Quakers during that era were hardly yellow-bellied. They were instrumental in helping escaped slaves reach freedom often risking their lives. I have always held Quakers (and Shakers) in the highest regards.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The aristocracy used the common people's pride and prejudice to get them to fight their war. I guess I blame the plantation owners more.

True, but what war is any different? We know WW2 wasn't about saving Jews, but if one fought for the Wehrmacht they were assigned blame for those atrocities just the same.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Actually, Quakers during that era were hardly yellow-bellied. They were instrumental in helping escaped slaves reach freedom often risking their lives. I have always held Quakers (and Shakers) in the highest regards.

I do jest.

I don't have any evidence, but it's quite possible many of them were instrumental in the underground railroad, as they were in SC at the time.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    a-new-southern-flag-a15e37c114aad99d.jpg

Should this new Southern flag replace the Confederate battle flag? | AL.com

:facepalm:

My lesbian sister told me that flag and skinny jeans do the same thing to her. It makes her balls hurt.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Not all of them, my peeps came here in 1704, within 10 years moved to Frederick Co MD then my ancestors converted to being Methodist.

Top Bottom