• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Has anyone that read Common Sense, Rights of Man, or Age of Reason think that Thomas Paine would actually say some of the things proposed by this actor? As an example, in every video I have seen by this particular actor he seems to favor an official national language.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Has anyone that read Common Sense, Rights of Man, or Age of Reason think that Thomas Paine would actually say some of the things proposed by this actor? As an example, in every video I have seen by this particular actor he seems to favor an official national language.

Yes I've read them and I'm pretty sure this guy is spot on what TP would say if he'd been around today. How would I know? I don't, but if you don't agree with most of what this guy says... :dunno: To each their own I guess.

Did you happen to see him speak at the Tax Day Tea Party?

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL

What is wrong with an "official national language"? :patriot:

We are one country after all - not 2 or 3 or whatever. It should be ONE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE for ALL living here. (Visitors would, of course, have no requirement to speak only English/American version.)

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    What is wrong with an "official national language"? :patriot:

We are one country after all - not 2 or 3 or whatever. It should be ONE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE for ALL living here. (Visitors would, of course, have no requirement to speak only English/American version.)

Are you talking a feel good measure? Like when the feds name a post office after a dead politico or a state legislature recognizes an official state doughnut? Or, are you talking an actual enforceable law where people will be fined and/or caged for speaking words from another a language other than English?

From a humorous point of view I could see where this would be a sign of the US coming full circle...newspaper headlines read "US adopts Queen's English as official language of state." :laugh:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    "These are the times that try mans' souls".
    Unfortunately, this is more true NOW I fear, than when it was first uttered!

"It's time to put away the race cards, and unite behind the common bond".

Jessie Jackson,
    Al Sharpton,
    Louis Farakan,
    ARE YOU LISTENING?

Sadly, no :xmad:

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Are you talking a feel good measure? Like when the feds name a post office after a dead politico or a state legislature recognizes an official state doughnut? Or, are you talking an actual enforceable law where people will be fined and/or caged for speaking words from another a language other than English?

From a humorous point of view I could see where this would be a sign of the US coming full circle...newspaper headlines read "US adopts Queen's English as official language of state." :laugh:

No, that is being foolish. Please stop.

By "official language", I mean: all legal documents - English only. Packaging - English only. Education - (regular school classes) taught - English only. (if foriegners can't speak, write, understand English, THEY should pay for appropriate private classes to learn English - NOT the taxpayers! No more "press one for English", etc.

If you want to live/work here - speak, write, understand English.

What you speak when with friends/family is no one's business, but if you want public access - English. (American version)

There is NOTHING wrong with expecting those who want to live/work here to assimilate (as our ancestors did - no public funded classes for them and no altered documents, phone language, school classes etc. for them).

If they want to demand the RIGHTS and privlidges that go along with living in this country as a citizen, they have to give something in return as well. LOYALTY to THIS country. No dual citizenship. One or the other. (And NO flying the "old country's" flag above "Old Glory" - ever.)
    Of course, they would always have the option of going back to the "old country" at anytime.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    No, that is being foolish. Please stop.

By "official language", I mean: all legal documents - English only. Packaging - English only. Education - (regular school classes) taught - English only. (if foriegners can't speak, write, understand English, THEY should pay for appropriate private classes to learn English - NOT the taxpayers! No more "press one for English", etc.

If you want to live/work here - speak, write, understand English.

What you speak when with friends/family is no one's business, but if you want public access - English. (American version)

There is NOTHING wrong with expecting those who want to live/work here to assimilate (as our ancestors did - no public funded classes for them and no altered documents, phone language, school classes etc. for them).

If they want to demand the RIGHTS and privlidges that go along with living in this country as a citizen, they have to give something in return as well. LOYALTY to THIS country. No dual citizenship. One or the other. (And NO flying the "old country's" flag above "Old Glory" - ever.)
    Of course, they would always have the option of going back to the "old country" at anytime.

Okay, how do we arrive at this "official language"? Legislation? Constitutional amendment? Who enforces this legislation? Aren't there a few 1A issues with a few of your assertions?

As a courtesy to my customers, I as a service provider and business owner have decided to offer phone instructions in Latin? How will you punish me?

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Okay, how do we arrive at this "official language"? Legislation? Constitutional amendment? Who enforces this legislation? Aren't there a few 1A issues with a few of your assertions?

As a courtesy to my customers, I as a service provider and business owner have decided to offer phone instructions in Latin? How will you punish me?

No 1A issues violated at all. No one would try to prevent others from speaking their mind. Just use proper language for "business" issues. Conformity? No, assimilation. If they want to be treated like citizens of the United States of America, they need to ACT LIKE IT. (No matter where they are from!)

If you would choose to offer phone instructions in Latin, your choice of course. There would be no "punishment". I would just do business with an American company instead. (One who chooses to honor his/her country properly.) No biggie! :D

If I were to visit another country, I would try to learn at least some of the language used there. If I were going to LIVE/WORK there, I would do my best to assimilate there to the best of my ability - or not move there. (Actually, I can't think of any country that I would choose to leave the US for. :patriot:)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Hey boys and girls, I hate to tell you all this, but we don't speak English in this Country. We speak American. It's English with a twist. Or, a few twists. Southern, ebonics, Northern, all the "acents" we speak, the lack of "proper" English.

It's called American.

:D

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Hey boys and girls, I hate to tell you all this, but we don't speak English in this Country. We speak American. It's English with a twist. Or, a few twists. Southern, ebonics, Northern, all the "acents" we speak, the lack of "proper" English.

It's called American.

:D

You might notice that I stated the "American version" several times. Yes, it is still considered "English" and not American. (Consider the "Native Americans' languages.)

English > American. "Altered" but somewhat uniform. Similar. ;)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You might notice that I stated the "American version" several times. Yes, it is still considered "English" and not American. (Consider the "Native Americans' languages.)

English > American. "Altered" but somewhat uniform. Similar. ;)

Meh, 220, 221, American English, American, Whatever! :):

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Ok. Think of it this way.

North America
    Central America
    South America

Which would OUR country (the USA) consider "American" language?
    That is why we usually refer to OUR language (with all it's dialects) the ENGLISH language. (Derived from)

Also, consider that our (US) language has "snippets" of many other languages in it as well. Not pure English, but a virsion of it since it most contributed to our language as compared to other languages.

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok. Think of it this way.

North America
    Central America
    South America

Which would OUR country (the USA) consider "American" language?
    That is why we usually refer to OUR language (with all it's dialects) the ENGLISH language. (Derived from)

Also, consider that our (US) language has "snippets" of many other languages in it as well. Not pure English, but a virsion of it since it most contributed to our language as compared to other languages.

Well, with that logic, we are the only Country in the western hemisphere that consider ourselves Americans. So keying anything "American" is always thought of outside the USA as ours.

As with you added logic, those snippets of other languages being used in our own makes them unique because a majority of the time we use it in our own context or we use it in the same context with the same meaning but in a different way. If that makes sense. Which in turn makes it uniquely American.

That's why I consider what American's speak as American and not English. I honestly believe that if it wouldn't be such a burden on global society we would have made it official long ago. But because it would cause a headache with people like Programmers that would have to retool the language parts of programs and people that write and print up users manuals... :laugh: Ok, maybe that's a stretch, but you can imagine the headache it would be! :laugh:

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    True. BUT they had to do all that to get the "foriegn" language into those manuels in the first place. (There was a time when everything was in English/American only)

And letting the whole world know that we are a UNITED country couldn't hurt us either. (Instead of splintered/broken)

Top Bottom