• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    No guy wants to get this phone call from his wife: "I've been in an accident. I was hit head-on. I need you."

The other driver -- why she was going east in the westbound lane of 131st at 0730 in the morning, we're not sure. The good news is that my wife was able to walk away from this one with a few bruises and scuff marks. Nothing more.

So I've got some gratitude, as you can imagine: grateful for good luck and for airbag technology. Glad the other driver and her teenage son were not seriously hurt. Grateful to the Man Upstairs. I'm also grateful to the Fishers PD guys who were working the scene when I arrived.

They had 131st blocked in both directions. I pulled up to the first vehicle and the officer put his window down. I pointed to the scene. "One of the drivers. My wife."

It was kindness and empathy that went across his face as he pointed to a patrol vehicle with its lights going. "She's in the back of that one," he said.

As I approached, the back door of the cruiser opened and she stepped out. I looked over at my Pathfinder, the front end crushed and the airbags deflated and the thing was bleeding on the pavement and dying. I looked back to her face, took it in my hands and said, "I'm glad you're okay."

She walked back toward the Pathfinder to gather up some of her things as I came around to the driver's side of the cruiser. This second officer put his window down and we talked for a couple minutes. He told me what he knew, was reassuring and calm and professional. A third officer had taken my wife's information (and had left before I got there).

These guys would say they were just doing their jobs. And they were. But they were kind to my wife when she was scared and didn't even really know if she was hurt. They kept her warm until I could get there.

So... I didn't get your names, gents. But I thank you.

2012-02-07PathfinderAccident3.jpg

2012-02-07PathfinderAccident4.jpg

2012-02-07PathfinderAccident7.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wow. Glad your wife was essentially OK. I hate those calls (I've gotten a few similar ones). Looks like that Pathfinder did its job. Probably not surviving this one, though.

Keep an eye on your wife. She might be pretty sore after an air-bag hit.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Glad all are ok. +10 to the police for letting her sit in their cars while she was waiting for you.

When I was in my wreck the police were not as nice... told me i could sit in my car where the glass from the windows were all over the seats... mind you it was about 15-20 degrees that night :(

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Oh Joe, I'm so glad she's alright. I'm sorry that it all happened. I can imagine how scared she was. Glad you were able to get to her and comfort her.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    First, everybody's ok! That's the most important thing.

Now the inconvenience of repairs, rental cars, insurance companies, etc...yuk! I'm glad there'll be no hospital bills, at least.

Last edited:

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Thanks for kind words, y'all. Ryan, that was my thought -- without going off the deep end into anthropomorphism, I had this image of that truck sacrificing its life for hers. Fenway, Allen may be good, but an 11-year-old truck that just went over 190,000 miles... I'm guessing she's totaled. (If Allen could make her undead, it would earn him a guest spot on that AMC zombie show.)

GodFearinGunTotin: One more thing to be grateful for is a good insurance guy. One phone call, and an hour later he was calling back with: "go to Enterprise at 1234 XYX Street -- your rental will be waiting. I sent your claim to AAA; the adjuster's name is Jane Dough and she should be calling you within 24 hours. I faxed the insurance declaration to the tow yard, so go get your personal effects out of the vehicle before AAA takes it away. If she needs an x-ray on that sore wrist, make sure you give the ER your auto policy number as primary and your health insurance as secondary. I'll file your SR-21 with the state. Any questions?"

Worth every cent of the premium.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom