Hobart

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Indy has already had at least one vet suicide. Check on your buddies.
    "Four times as many troops and vets have died by suicide as in combat, study finds"
    Per researchers’ estimates, 30,177 Global War on Terror veterans have died by suicide, compared to 7,057 who have died while deployed in support of the Global War on Terror.
    https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...ave-died-by-suicide-as-in-combat-study-finds/

When I was stationed NAS Oceana 1969, another corpsman came back from a conference on mental health casualties.
    They were told that there would be a great increase in the percentage of mental health casualties in the next war. If they gave a reason, he did not mention it.

Battle deaths:
    War on Terror - 7057 in 23 years
    Viet Nam - 58209 in in 13 years
    World War - 405399 in 4 years
    https://www.statista.com/statistics...ary-fatalities-in-american-wars-1775-present/

I have seen some variation in the totals from different sources, but they were about the same.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    It seems like it’s time to say Thank You again.

If you are lucky enough to know a living WWII vet. This is the time to let them know you are grateful for all they did for us. The 4 that I knew are all gone, but I still remember them.

This is the time of year I take down my 3x5 flag and put up my dad’s 5x7. I want people out on the road to see it. Hope it makes it thru the storms.

If INGO has any such vets. THANK YOU. :patriot:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm not a WW2 vet but my great uncle was the Normandy D-day planner. He was so tore up about the preliminary landings and deaths that he died after the beach was secured and Normandy was liberated. He was drt by his own hand in his admiral stateroom aboard the the USS Bayfield. There are 2 nonfiction books about him. His direction is still studied by midshipman. He holds a big warm spot in the city of Kokomo due to the huge debt owed my grandfather's brother.
    RIP RADM Don Pardee Moon

Sylvain will be along shortly with the thread for June 6th Normandy landings.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    20+ years active duty and I'm good with Veterans Day, don't need the consolation prize...didn't even get a purple heart which is another consolation prize. And yeah, I've been spat on in airports and had Harri Krishna's steal my ticket home while pining flowers on my shirt. 7 rows of ribbons and still marching forward until I'm not.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    On this D-Day plus 80yrs, may we all raise a Glass & Remember those Brave Souls that assailed the French beaches.
    View attachment 357291
    This picture gives me goose bumps every time I see it. Those boys took it on the chin so the world could be a better place and I'm grateful. As well as humbled.

Top Bottom