• ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Must be referring to the time spent under the Articles of Confederation.

Even then, the retained sovereignty, as referenced therein, was not complete.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Must be referring to the time spent under the Articles of Confederation.

Even then, the retained sovereignty, as referenced therein, was not complete.
    No, cant be that. Lincoln wasn't arround then. Well, on the other hand Lincoln wasn't around for the 14th amendment either.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

I just cited Martin and in return I get some L. Neil Smith pablum?

States are not sovereign. The Constitution spells out what the states cannot do in Article I, §10--coin money, ex post facto laws, enter into treaties, grant titles of nobility, not have a republican form of government, inter alia. This by definition does not bestow sovereignty.

I wonder if some of you believe the fallacy that this country is a democracy too? We are a republic.

I am unaware that anyone at INGO believes the USA is a democracy, but how is that relevant to your claim that states are sovereign?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I just cited Martin and in return I get some L. Neil Smith pablum?

States are not sovereign. The Constitution spells out what the states cannot do in Article I, §10--coin money, ex post facto laws, enter into treaties, grant titles of nobility, not have a republican form of government, inter alia. This by definition does not bestow sovereignty.

I am unaware that anyone at INGO believes the USA is a democracy, but how is that relevant to your claim that states are sovereign?

Well, there was that one guy but I think he got banned.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    I guess if Texas wants to be reabsorbed by Mexico, and be ruled by drug cartels, without any defensive help from the US, thats their choice.

Wow really Texas became a state of the US after leaving mexico..... Where do I get a copy of your history book? I was taught that Texas for a few years was an independent nation " The Republic of Texas " I guess I need to find my US history teacher and set him straight.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wow really Texas became a state of the US after leaving mexico

Correct.

I was taught that Texas for a few years was an independent nation " The Republic of Texas " I guess I need to find my US history teacher and set him straight.

For a few years. But from 1836 on Texas politicians wanted statehood, which was complicated in D.C. by the Free/Slave divide.

The turbos for statehood kicked in by 1842 and the reconquista of Saint Tony's and the Dawson Massacre.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    Correct.

For a few years. But from 1836 on Texas politicians wanted statehood, which was complicated in D.C. by the Free/Slave divide.

The turbos for statehood kicked in by 1842 and the reconquista of Saint Tony's and the Dawson Massacre.

So for you to say that the second quote is "correct" ( for a few years). Then the first quote can not be "correct" as well. Can't have your cake and eat it to. And to correct myself I meant Texas becoming a state immediately after freeing itself from Mexico.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    If a territory can join the US by agreeing to the rules set fourth to be a state. Then say 100 years later decide things are getting a little bit out of hand and want out and don't like the rules governing states rights they can leave just the way they came in..... Of their own FREE will.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If a territory can join the US by agreeing to the rules set fourth to be a state. Then say 100 years later decide things are getting a little bit out of hand and want out and don't like the rules governing states rights they can leave just the way they came in..... Of their own FREE will.

Here we go again....

Show me that in the Constitution. We live is a nation governed by laws...which are, conveniently, written down.

I've said it before, I'll say it again- the only arguably legal way for a state to leave the union is by the same process as it joined, consent of both the state legislature and Congress....but that's not at all clear. What is clear is that there is no legal way for a state to leave the union of its own accord.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    Here we go again....

Show me that in the Constitution. We live is a nation governed by laws...which are, conveniently, written down.

I've said it before, I'll say it again- the only arguably legal way for a state to leave the union is by the same process as it joined, consent of both the state legislature and Congress....but that's not at all clear. What is clear is that there is no legal way for a state to leave the union of its own accord.

I said "they can leave just the way they came in" with out threats or overt or covert coersion from the federal gov.

Top Bottom