• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wow really Texas became a state of the US after leaving mexico..... Where do I get a copy of your history book? I was taught that Texas for a few years was an independent nation " The Republic of Texas " I guess I need to find my US history teacher and set him straight.

History classes don't always touch on every detail, especially if it is a general historic topic like US History. Probably in a Texas history class, you might find more details. Or, perhaps there were some lessons less interesting than others and some details didn't break your attention.

So for you to say that the second quote is "correct" ( for a few years). Then the first quote can not be "correct" as well. Can't have your cake and eat it to. And to correct myself I meant Texas becoming a state immediately after freeing itself from Mexico.

You stated "Wow really Texas became a state of the US after leaving mexico". You didn't say immediately. Are you saying it's impossible for states to be territories before becoming states? It's not that hard to find articles on the history of Texas. Hell, even Wikipedia does okay. Also, it sheds a little insight to read books of contemporaries that touch on that time period. For example, the memoirs of U.S. Grant provides some insights and details that aren't typically found in a History Textbook.

If a territory can join the US by agreeing to the rules set fourth to be a state. Then say 100 years later decide things are getting a little bit out of hand and want out and don't like the rules governing states rights they can leave just the way they came in..... Of their own FREE will.

What agreement did Texas make as part of joining the United States? What does the constitution say about it?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The concept of "free will" is metaphysical, not legal.

We have the free will to choose our actions....which include joining an Union with no right to leave it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There are religious, philosophical, and scientific theories that say free will is impossible.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    i wouldn't say impossible, but you certainly need to be able to sing in a high register.

[video=youtube;RE8T4H6sR8c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE8T4H6sR8c[/video]

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    "Are you saying it's impossible for states to be territories before becoming states?" Texas was not a territory it was a sovereign nation " the republic of Texas" which from the info I have gathered from reading made some interesting negotiations between the republic of Texas and the US. With some loopholes and inconsistent things done when they joined the union...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    "Are you saying it's impossible for states to be territories before becoming states?" Texas was not a territory it was a sovereign nation " the republic of Texas" which from the info I have gathered from reading made some interesting negotiations between the republic of Texas and the US. With some loopholes and inconsistent things done when they joined the union...

Texas was only a nation for a few years until the attempted reconquista which prompted them to join the USA.

There are no "loopholes" or any of that yeehaw nonsense that you hear from Texans.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It would be like Cuba wanting to join the US....

Ironic that the Golden Circle Southerners wanted Central America to join the US.:D

Just wait until BadWolf finds out what "filibustering" was originally.:laugh:

I say, I say, I conquer these lands in the land of Southern Slavery:

Flag_of_Nicaragua_%28Government_of_William_Walker%29.png

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Ironic that the Golden Circle Southerners wanted Central America to join the US.:D

Just wait until BadWolf finds out what "filibustering" was originally.:laugh:

I say, I say, I conquer these lands in the land of Southern Slavery:

Flag_of_Nicaragua_%28Government_of_William_Walker%29.png

I should have known that someone on INGO besides me knows of the Knights of the Golden Circle and their dream of 25 more slave states.

And further, I should have known it would be you.

It really WAS all about slavery.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wasn't Texas pretty much broke by the time they came begging to join? (Words chosen to inflame :evilangel:)

Broke and being invaded by Mexico.

Some in Texas wanted statehood as early as 1836 to prevent a reconquista.

Anywho: Texas is not leaving. The whole secession movement is a scam fueled by concern over the federal government enormous growth and a general ignorance of history and politics.

Top Bottom