• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Could this also mean that ANY firearm manufactured in Tennessee MAY NOT be transported FROM or SOLD TO anyone outside of Tennessee? What would interstate commerce actually mean?
    Interstate means any commerce that crosses state lines and it is my understanding if it is transported then it would not have the exemption from federal law

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    "Bottom line...safety. I think if there's a gun being manufactured in Tennessee, as long as it's a safe gun I have no problem with it," says Sen. Beverly Marrero, (D) Memphis.

Someone please define a safe gun and an unsafe gun please.

Does anyone want to make a bet that the Fed position will be that if the steel, aluminum, and/or plastic is imported into the state from another state, that the firearm produced will still be regulated by the Interstate Commerce clause?

The Montana law spells this out and makes sure the FEDS know that they won't recognize that.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    The OP's link said "Several states" are considering the same type of law, but it didn't say *which ones*. Anybody know who they all are?

All I can find so far is:

Alaska
    Montana - Signed
    Tennessee - Signed
    Texas
    Utah

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Interstate means any commerce that crosses state lines and it is my understanding if it is transported then it would not have the exemption from federal law

If I were to drive there, buy it, and then drive back, would that count as inter-state? I'd hope not.

Of course If I'm driving that far, it had either be for vacation, or the purchase of multiple thousands of rounds :).

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    If I were to drive there, buy it, and then drive back, would that count as inter-state? I'd hope not.

Of course If I'm driving that far, it had either be for vacation, or the purchase of multiple thousands of rounds :).

Yes that is considered Inter-state commerce. For it to work in Indiana we would have to start building our own guns inside the state. There would be some kind of identifying mark saying it was made in Indiana and with a similar law we could not be subjected to the federal law for those guns only.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Of course if they're not going to perform background checks, I may be able to get by :).

Most places don't even ID for ammo, so how would anyone know, unless the Federal Government is going to set up inter-state checkpoints where they will search every vehicle.

I don't know if the ammo was supposed to say "made in..." or not. Then I'd just say I bought it at a gun show and didn't notice :D

___

EDIT:

Also let's keep in mind that who can say that you can't buy used brass from whatever state and then reload. This really sets the stage for unenforceable and untrackable mandates the federal government is sure to try to set if it goes much further.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    It looks like the firearms industry will be booming soon. If this is true, we could see many small companies start up just to sell full auto's to Indiana residents. I'd start one. Now to learn how to work with metal...............................

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Does anyone want to make a bet that the Fed position will be that if the steel, aluminum, and/or plastic is imported into the state from another state, that the firearm produced will still be regulated by the Interstate Commerce clause?
    :xmad:

I hope you are joking. That can't happen.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Well, Indiana's political climate would have to change pretty radically to get something like this passed. Heck that watered down 10th Amendment sovereignty resolution (not law- resolution, which is the majority saying "We think this is the right thing... we just don't want to make a law saying so) didn't pass the House. I don't think it even made it to a floor vote. So, Pat Bauer and his possum skin wig doesn't think enough of Indiana to push back from the Federal hog trough and stand for Indiana's state rights.

Be interesting to see who would sign on to such a bill though, and see who slinks away from it.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Well, Indiana's political climate would have to change pretty radically to get something like this passed. Heck that watered down 10th Amendment sovereignty resolution (not law- resolution, which is the majority saying "We think this is the right thing... we just don't want to make a law saying so) didn't pass the House. I don't think it even made it to a floor vote. So, Pat Bauer and his possum skin wig doesn't think enough of Indiana to push back from the Federal hog trough and stand for Indiana's state rights.

Be interesting to see who would sign on to such a bill though, and see who slinks away from it.

We have to gain control of the Indiana House in the next election. Many good Senate Bills have never seen the light of day in the Dem controlled House. :xmad:
    Bauer is afraid to let them out of committee because he knows they would pass by a wide margin or if he had the support to defeat them, it would put them on record for opposing good bills.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008

I hope you are joking. That can't happen.

I wouldn't put it past them.

If they think they can drag things out another three or four years in court, by coming up with one more ludicrous argument that has to be fought out, they'll do it.

We have to gain control of the Indiana House in the next election. Many good Senate Bills have never seen the light of day in the Dem controlled House.

I'd be delighted to see this happen. Does anyone know state politics well enough to know how close we are to this happening? Are there any good prospects for Democrats who might be vulnerable in their own districts?

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    "Does anyone want to make a bet that the Fed position will be that if the steel, aluminum, and/or plastic is imported into the state from another state, that the firearm produced will still be regulated by the Interstate Commerce clause? "

That's exactly what we want to happen. We want them to try to stifle it.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I wouldn't put it past them.

If they think they can drag things out another three or four years in court, by coming up with one more ludicrous argument that has to be fought out, they'll do it.

I'd be delighted to see this happen. Does anyone know state politics well enough to know how close we are to this happening? Are there any good prospects for Democrats who might be vulnerable in their own districts?

Good thing Indiana makes steel ;) so it doesn't look like that would be a problem here.

sticks4walking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I wonder if you will even be able to carry accross state lines? I am sure the Government will stick their noses into it somehow! Oh yeh, I am on board with starting to manufacture guns in Indiana.

Top Bottom