actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    How about this?

All HOAs must be responsible for "overreach".
    If a court determines there is overreach, fines must be levied against the HOA.
    And since the average homeowner probably didn't cause it, then the fines must come out of the HOA officer's pockets.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And I will admit I've seen ONE HOA that wouldn't be AWFUL.

All they were allowed to do was plow the streets, collect the garbage, and charge for those 2 services.

But, they couldn't even handle that.
    The town took over the garbage collection (through a garbage company of course), and then the company billed the citizens.
    After a while, someone finally noticed that the HOA was STILL charging people for the garbage.
    When confronted, they paid back a couple months of backpayments, and told everyone they should have discovered it sooner.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    And I will admit I've seen ONE HOA that wouldn't be AWFUL.

All they were allowed to do was plow the streets, collect the garbage, and charge for those 2 services.

But, they couldn't even handle that.
    The town took over the garbage collection (through a garbage company of course), and then the company billed the citizens.
    After a while, someone finally noticed that the HOA was STILL charging people for the garbage.
    When confronted, they paid back a couple months of backpayments, and told everyone they should have discovered it sooner.
    I lived in South Haven for 15 years. Believe it or not (if anyone knows South Haven, you will know why I say that), we had an HOA. All it did was collect dues to pay for street lights and garbage pickup. I could live with that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    How about this?

And since the average homeowner probably didn't cause it, then the fines must come out of the HOA officer's pockets.

Too complicated

In order to be an informed choice, you should only be bound by the rules that were in effect at the time you signed the document and immune from any further rule making

Darth HOA

cCVqHor.jpg

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    And let’s not ignore the fact that if people Would just be decent human beings, there would be no need for agreements and contracts.

Couple things that our HOA has had to address…
    1. The lady down the street who walks her dog 10X a day so she can smoke her cigarillos, and then proceeds to use the HOA common area/courtyard as her personal ashtray. Seriously there were little brown butts everywhere.
    2. The guy next door who opens his garage and let’s his dogs out to run wherever they want, pooping everywhere and not picking it up. (In our condo, nobody actually has their own yard)

It’s not all bad though…
    1. The guy who painted his deck the wrong color (heaven forbid), when the rules only allowed one color. It looked nice enough so the board proposed a resolution to add that color to the approved list.
    2. The guy who wanted to adopt a cute Pit Bull puppy, but the rules stated “no dangerous breeds”. The board proposed a resolution to strike that language from the HOA documents.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    How about this?

I like this, and board members must foot the legal bill if overreach is determined. Don't allow them to pass the legal fees on to the homeowners by proxy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And let’s not ignore the fact that if people Would just be decent human beings, there would be no need for agreements and contracts.

Couple things that our HOA has had to address…
    1. The lady down the street who walks her dog 10X a day so she can smoke her cigarillos, and then proceeds to use the HOA common area/courtyard as her personal ashtray. Seriously there were little brown butts everywhere.
    2. The guy next door who opens his garage and let’s his dogs out to run wherever they want, pooping everywhere and not picking it up. (In our condo, nobody actually has their own yard)

It’s not all bad though…
    1. The guy who painted his deck the wrong color (heaven forbid), when the rules only allowed one color. It looked nice enough so the board proposed a resolution to add that color to the approved list.
    2. The guy who wanted to adopt a cute Pit Bull puppy, but the rules stated “no dangerous breeds”. The board proposed a resolution to strike that language from the HOA documents.
    This is one of the main reasons I do not care for "Most" smokers. They are trashy people throwing butts down wherever.
    I had a few hit me when on my bike from the douche bag driving in front of me flipping it out the window. I just do not like those people.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    From reading in this thread, it seems like you could just add spike strips and mandatory mufflers to the bylaws. It appears that there are no functional limits on how much freedom the HOA can require you to sacrifice ex post facto
    Yeah, or we could just wait for a child to be killed and hear the offender say, "Sorry, it was an accident!" I doubt that you have ever lived in a HOA, with all your comments about how free you are. All freedoms have limitations. Your freedom to swing your arms stops at my body. Ever hear of zoning laws?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I haven't seen an ashtray in a car in twenty years.:dunno:
    I have one in my 2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring. But like I said, put out one cigarette in it and it's pretty much full. The interior is roughly the size of a Zippo lighter. At home, I dump my ashtray when I get 2 or 3 butts in it (guess it's my restaurant/bar experience). :): I remember the cars from the 60's and 70's that had ashtrays that were probably 4"x6". :fogey:

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    I have one in my 2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring. But like I said, put out one cigarette in it and it's pretty much full. The interior is roughly the size of a Zippo lighter. At home, I dump my ashtray when I get 2 or 3 butts in it (guess it's my restaurant/bar experience). :): I remember the cars from the 60's and 70's that had ashtrays that were probably 4"x6". :fogey:
    Must be a foreign thing.
    I remember the ashtray's in the '70's cars. They were like a second trunk.
    Could fit a whole carton of butts in them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom