• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I've never owned one myself, but my best friend/shooting partner and my brother-in-law each own one.

They both own the black frame with stainless slide (not sure what model # is) and my friends is a 9mm, brother-in-laws is a .40. My friend has never had a single issue with his, my brother-in-law's is the same.

The only thing I don't care for is the trigger pull. When I shot it, I felt like I couldn't squeeze the trigger to get it to go, had to pull it. That's the only complaint I have ever heard in person of a Taurus. On the internet you will find complaints for every weapon manufacturer you do a search for. Just like people will tell you that H&K sucks, FN sucks, Glock sucks, blah blah blah.

Fact is, like some people said, it's mechanics. Parts break and sometimes people screw up. If you find one you like, buy it and hope for the best as with any other firearm. The worst that can happen is you send it back to them and get it fixed or supplied with a new firearm.

WBE3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    My experience with Taurus has been a bad one. I purchased a revolver and had to take it back to the shop after the first time at the range. I had to send it back to Taurus twice before it was repaired properly. :xmad: A friend traded me for it, and I was happy to get rid of it.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Between my father and I, we own 4 Tauri, and have had zero issues with any of them. Only exception being that the PT-22 is kinda picky on ammo...but its a subcompact semi-automatic .22; any gun of that size and caliber that I have ever seen has been picky.

The way I see it, Taurus has stepped up their game a lot in recent years. And even if you do get a lemon, (I feel bad for lemons, now; the scapegoat fruit...) you can always get it repaired for free.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    You get what you pay for.

We have two taurus 85's. I have sent a couple of hundred rounds downrange this year and have had zero problems with either one. One was new in 94 and the other in 2009.

I haven't had any problems with them, but learned a long time ago that you get what you pay for. If it was life or death I'll reach for the MP9 or the Colt 1911.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Wow, I guess the amount of :poop: people that throw around about just how :poop:y Taurus's are, that out of 10 different Taurus firearms that the odds of getting a bad one should be very high. My point is, if people around here and all over the infamous internet speak so bad about how crappy they are, then at LEAST one of the 10 and 1 of the 5 I've owned should have been a dismal failure, so either me and my relatives and friend are either the luckiest SOB's on the face of the planet and should run out and purchase a lottery tickets right now, or we all bought a great product.
    I'm leaning towards a great product until one fails on me.

And as a little side note, there is 76 members in the INGO Taurus Owners Group, and amazingly not one of them has posted that they got a crappy one.

INGunOwners - INGO Taurus Owners

I can also also guarantee you that other handgun manufactures have put out a ton of turds, the difference is that because of Taurus's early problems it made it easy for people to biotch about it without the fear of being ridiculed, but just how many people out there got a bad S&W Sigma or other model or Glock, or Kimber who fail to speak up because they don't want people to know that they spent top $$$'s and got a crappy gun. Plenty of them, I know my old neighbor had a S&W that was a piece of turd and he hated talking about it because of the money he spent to buy it.

Then there are the people who will defend their poor purchase regardless of reputation or evidence because they don't want to admit they skimped on quality to save a few bucks. These people are also likely to point out the anomalous lemons that the reputable manufactures let slip out as if it correlates somehow to a second tier manufacturer.

I have a Judge, and have had NO problems with it.

How many rounds have you put through it. Judges are notorious for breaking when people actually shoot them a lot. The lockwork on Taurus revolvers in general is too small.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    I sold guns for 18 years. It is a true statement that all manufacturer's have their bad guns from time to time. It's also a true statement that Taurus has more than their share. Your odds of getting a gun from them that will work is good. Your odds are also higher, however, that you will have trouble with it and need for it to be repaired. As they reside at the lower end of the price range in the industry, this shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone.

Mayday671

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Monroeville
    Ya, sure do, my PT-809 is reaching about the 5000 round mark, used it HandK's CQB class twice and performed flawlessly both times, I've only had 1 FTE and that was ammo related.

I've owned 2 Springfield 1911's a Sig Saur P229 (regret selling this but am buying it back from a relative) Beretta 92 and a Glock that were my dad's and each and every time I keep staying with my Taurus's.

People can say all they want, but I continue to have no problems with any Taurus product I've owned, this includes my first one, a Taurus PT-940 purchased in 2001.

Wow, maybe Im a freak. I put 5800 rounds through my Sig last year alone and im nearing 2000 this year.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My PT-99AF has been flawless from day 1. Those machining pictures sure tell another story though.

How many dealers will allow you to strip a gun before you buy it though? I'm thinking I'd wand to bring a jewelers loop to inspect anything I bought now, especially a used gun. Any brand, not just taurus!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Then there are the people who will defend their poor purchase regardless of reputation or evidence because they don't want to admit they skimped on quality to save a few bucks. These people are also likely to point out the anomalous lemons that the reputable manufactures let slip out as if it correlates somehow to a second tier manufacturer.

I'm not defending any poor purchase, it is you who in your opinion that I made a poor purchase, I have never held or owned a defective Taurus, so until then I hold them as a reputable manufactuer.

Poor purchase ='s item that is defective or does not perform like it should.

Until I get a so called piece of crap in my hands that I can say does not perform like it should from a Taurus product, then you need to get either :poop: or get off the pot. There are far more great functioning Taurus's out there vs. the small percentage of bad ones and not nearly as bad as people want them to be thought of.

Now as far as "anomalous lemons that the reputable manufactures let slip out", you really need to take the binders off the eyes, I not pointing out, I'm stating fact, EVERY manufacturer puts out a turd, if you can't fathom that then you are living in a fantasy world.

All my Taurus gave performed flawlessly, before purchase I visually inspected each of them for fit and finish just like I have any Sig, Springfield or CZ I have owned, if I felt there was a problem I would not have purchased it.

Sometimes I think the only way to get people to find out that Taurus puts out a good firearm is to make them put up or shut up and do a round for round fire of their vastly superior firearm (sic) and show them that a Taurus can perform just as good or better than their preferred firearm.

But I have neither the time, money or patience to put into people who like to trash a persons purchase.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I sold guns for 18 years. It is a true statement that all manufacturer's have their bad guns from time to time. It's also a true statement that Taurus has more than their share. Your odds of getting a gun from them that will work is good. Your odds are also higher, however, that you will have trouble with it and need for it to be repaired. As they reside at the lower end of the price range in the industry, this shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone.

Guys this pretty much sums it all up. One can usually expect to get what they pay for when purchasing any product or service. The other brands IMO opinion have better workmanship and better resale/trade value. What Taurus does represent is an overall good value at the lower end of the price range in the marketplace. I have owned a number of Tauri and have never had a problem myself. I do own and even carry a Taurus revolver.

Scotty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Anderson
    I had pretty good luck getting a trigger problem fixed with Taurus's lifetime warranty on my PT145 PRO, had it back within 2 weeks and all I paid was shipping there...Although, that said...I have never had to send any of my "other" brand guns back for repair.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I have an older model 605 in SS and have not had any issues with the revolver in over 15 years. Didn't know the pistol was ported on both sides of the front sight until a trip to the range and a friend had trouble seeing the front sight after 50 rounds.

Top Bottom