• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nitforfun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Hello

I'm on the fence on these two ... I like the beretta but i also like the price of the tuarus

I'm looking mainly for reliability .... the beretta stick out in that department
    but i also like the grips of the taurus better

what are your thoughts of the two

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Don't own a Bobcat, but do own a PT22.

Mine was found to be picky on what ammo it liked. If we feed it Remington Thunderbolts, it works just fine. Likes to be cleaned often, which I would imagine is largely because it is a teeny tiny automatic with teeny tiny tolerances. Does not like HYPER velocity ammo, but runs best on HIGH velocity ammo.

It is Double-Action-Only, which is a big difference from the Bobcat. The Bobcat has a hammer and can be cocked for Single action. Something to think about.

As for the grips and whatnot, I do like that the PT22 has a wide grip profile. Harder to drop in your pocket, but feels much more like a real gun in your hands. I believe that the Air Force at one time stashed PT22's in the survival kits they gave to pilots. Accurate for what it is, too; you won't be driving tacks at 50 yards, by anything within 10 yards is dead meat. Great accuracy for a pocket gun.

Also, on both of them, malfunction clearance is a breeze. I've had FTE's before that were cleared simply by hitting the barrel-tip lever. As the barrel snapped up, it threw the empty casing clear and all I had to do was pop it back down and rack the slide. You will learn to appreciate the tip-up barrel, though; that slide is tiny, and hard to get a grip on.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Hello

I'm on the fence on these two ... I like the beretta but i also like the price of the tuarus

I'm looking mainly for reliability .... the beretta stick out in that department
    but i also like the grips of the taurus better

what are your thoughts of the two

Beretta. No hesitation.

knot4reel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Way down south by Bl
    My PT22 works great when its kept clean and it has CCI mini mag in it. With most other brands of ammo its a crap shoot. Beretta is probably better quality, but I've heard they can be pretty picky shooters also.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    I was at the range yesterday and saw a pt22 blow up in a guys hand, he was ok. I think they figured out that the ammo (rem) was bad. It blew up the plastic grips yin his hand

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I have a 21a that is amazing, no experience with the pt22 though. The best thing about the 21a is the tip up barrel and having a hammer. My mother has arthritis and can't work a slide very well but this is a gun she can use....I hope I get it back some day;)

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have the Beretta 21A and at least mine is ammo sensitive. Actually the Mexican made PMC is the only round that gums it up, but I have had no problems with CCI Blazer, Rem Thunderbolts or Federal red box bulk stuff.

I like the ability to keep the barrel tipped up to know it is safe, and to help loading as I personally have trouble pulling the slide back to load from the mag. Because of that I always fire it single action first shot by thumbing the hammer like any single action handgun.

One other thing about mine is that thanks to the 25 yard range at Wilbur Wright where I do most of my shooting, I found I can actually keep it on paper at that distance.

About the only negative is that it does not have an extractor, but don't know if the Taurus has one. Keeping it clean is extremely important.

nitforfun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    well I think i have made up my mind to go with the beretta in SS
    i really liked the was it looked and felt .... I will have to get some wood grips for it though ....

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    well I think i have made up my mind to go with the beretta in SS
    i really liked the was it looked and felt .... I will have to get some wood grips for it though ....
    Do you mean like THIS one?;) Mine isn't a .22 though.....25acp....
    GunshowA26.jpg

nitforfun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    the one i'm looking at is a more satin SS finish with black grips

i'm going to look into getting a pair of wood grips for it after i get it

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Beretta did make a short run of nickel 21As. I couldn't pass one up in .22LR, still as delivered from factory. Really pretty looking!

picture.php

Last edited:
    Top Bottom