• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tac45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    SS
    So I was able to get to a range this morning to try out my new PT1911AR for the first time, and I was actually pretty impressed. It is a great shooting gun for the money, and I had a great time.

I was shooting Federal 45 Auto 230 grain FMJ and had zero problems after 100 rounds. I have heard that they have some issues with JHP's, but I haven't had the chance to pick any up...so we'll have to see about that next time.

It felt great in my hands. The only .45 I have ever shot was a baby Glock (whatever that model number is?) and I wasn't really impressed...but then again it was a small frame that didn't fit my hand real well. I think the weight of a 1911 actually helps reduce the amount of perceived recoil. I feel like I could have shot all day and wanted to keep going.

Oh ya, and naturally, I get home from the range and my Pearce grip inserts were in my mailbox:n00b: But I still think I did ok.

First pic is at 25 feet...two magazines loaded at 6 rounds each (I was trying to make my ammo last cause my little brother was shooting with me).

Second pic is a 3 round group, also at 25 ft.

Last is my 1911 with the new grip inserts :D

target1.jpg

target2.jpg

DSCF7020.jpg

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    I recently purchased this also. Absolutely impressive. Recoil was very limited. Wife (her firearm) thought equally as positive on this firearm and as a small lady said it was not bad shooting either.

I believe that construction & weight take out a great deal of the recoil. Taurus and it's 1911 comes highly recommended from my
    Family.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Here is what mine has done for me in the past. Been a while since I shot competition with it though. It isn't just worth the money I paid for it, $450 brand new when they came out, it is worth lots more. I would put mine up against any factory out of the box 1911, any.

PT1911-3.jpg

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    I agree

Great shooting gun...period. Don't know why people say "for the money". I have not had one hiccup with my PT1911. I bought it to shoot and it does that very well. Glad you like yours.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    p.s. Thought I would add the course of fire pictured above.

Left target: 12 shots, 18 seconds, 1 mandatory reload, standing, two handed, 21ft (7 yards)

Right target: 18 shots, 75 seconds, 2 mandatory reloads, 6 standing, 6 kneeling, 6 sitting, two handed, 60ft (20 yards).
    This was shot on a regular basis with this gun. Stock out of the box. The load was a 230gr Ranier RN bullet with a load of Bullseye powder that mimicked Fiocchi factory 230gr ammo.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I got a stainless Taurus in trade on a fishing boat last summer. Have only shot it 2 times. First time put 5 rounds in mag., walked out on my deck and hit my 6 inch swinger 5 times at 40 yards. Now what's not to like about that. Good trigger out of the box. Will put it on bags this spring and see what it is really capable of. I guess around 2 1/2 or 3 inches at 25 yards....

Randall

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    I have had mine for 3 years and have pull at least a couple thousand rounds though it and have zero problems with. I think a lot of the higher end 1911 are made way tighter then need to be. The only complaint that I have is the finish shows wear very badly.

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    MY GOD! ARE YOU ALRIGHT? I assume you had to go to the emergency room. Hope the doctor can reattach your "swinger."

:ugh:

Really enjoy my PT1911 and have no problem with JHP's. Mainly use my reloads (both JHP and FMJ) with no problems eating what I feed it. Checking current pricing, they are not exactly "cheap" but in my opinion it is well worth the price.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    As far as JHPs go I have only had a problems with Gold Dots. Something about 230gr Gold Dots mine doesn't like. I polished the edge of the feed ramp and it seemed to make other JHPs (HST's, and Ranger T-series) feed a little smoother too.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    Finally a fellow Taurus shooter. I have the 1911 BHW version. Black with walnut grips. I like killing beer cans and the old Taurus 1911 does a fantastic job. For the money, it's hard to beat this piece. Now, if you decide to make a living by shooting fleas at 50 yard then there are other handgun you might rather have but at a cost significantly more than the Taurus and less warranty too. Nice choice of handguns.

Top Bottom