• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lefty 21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    In my warped imagination, I think that if some foreign or domestic uprising in the US where to happen, Indiana is tank country. How prepared are we (really) to counter or support this? I have no military experience, but it seems that the flatlands of IN are a tankers (or Bradley fighting vehicle's) dream.

Anyone with armed services experience care to comment? Agree or disagree?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Stay in the cities. The tanks/vehicles would have to come into our realm, molotovs and low powered explosives to knock of treads will reak havoc. They will have two choices, come in and face some heavy losses or stay out of cities and shell them. Most low intensity conflicts will involve military-industrial complex pitfalls, therefore, they will think twice of shelling a town that is full of citizens and innocents.

Indiana has a lot of hills and such towards the south (where I would go). There are passes cut into the hills (great for ambush of even the most heavily armored vehicles). Northern Indiana leaves little to no cover for infantry. There are many cut ins for irrigation, forming a "hedgerow effect", however, there are very little ditches for cover, not to mention the lack of availability of anti-tank weaponry (or at least ones that people want to say :D).

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I did forget to mention the lack of visual cover in these flat areas, so there maybe an issue for the tankers regarding attacks from above (air vehicles). However, with many modern military's ability to counter air threats, this may be nil only to a intell standpoint (an aircraft and spot the vehicles, maybe spot arty, but not really engage them due to SAMs and other anti-aircraft fire).

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Not a fan of Honest Abe, but I like this quote:

"All the armies of Europe, Asia and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest, with a Bonaparte for a commander, could not, by force, take a drink from the Ohio..."

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Its funny, pertaining to this thread. Ohio has a flat lands area towards the north, before entering into the marshes and flat lands of Michigan (the glacial plains if I remember correctly). That land is perfect for moving armored groups through, however, get south enough, then you got problems (the foothills and valleys). Similar to Indiana, however, Ohio has far more forested areas for concealment (and travel detriment) to armored groups. However, with the proliferation of the interstate (wasnt the interstate system originally created for the rapid movement of armed forces by Eisenhower or was I dreaming in social studies, happened alot), armored forces will be able to rapid travel through each state.

In Lincoln's time, vehicles were a fancy, never really used. Small arms and guerilla tactics of the time period could let fly a whithering volley upon mobile armies. However, in todays digital weapons age, we lack the capability of even denting a tank without means/weapons created that would be considered "illegal". I would suggest one learn the means and theory of rockets, explosives and shape charges, but not necessarily make them until the last minute (no Im not a miltia type, but I do believe in freedom). The armies of the throne today, with their modern weapons and machina, would devestate a citizen army, making me worry about future conflict where a political power begins to threaten their own populace. Electronic warefare (computers) and moral support would be the most powerful weapons, but often employed inappropriately or ineffectively in combat as of late (take THAT al-queer-da), not to mention easily combatted by today's electronic warefare units of the Army. Not an easy time today.

I dream of an age of muskets. My favorite line: Man in the Iron Mask: (cant remember the exact line, but here I go).

"A thunderous roar, flash, explosion of muskets, then silence, only broken by the footsteps of the Third Brigade."

Romantic?

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    To clarify, he was talking about the Ohio river, not Ohio as a state. While it is very true that technology has tremedously increased the ability to inflict damage, the task of occupying this massive piece of land has not changed much since 1837.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Dismounted Dragoons give a tank extreme flexibility, in that the tank is then used as cover/short range artillery support while a mobile smaller enemy (the Dragoons) as advancing infanty. Scary stuff. You cant concentrate on both unless one were to split up.

Ohio River? Good god, that would be hell to "take"! You are correct. Occupation is nothing more than alot of men/folks and alot of time/patience. Difficult even for a superpower.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Tanks, schmanks. I'm going to "up armor" my Silverado and mount a biga** cannon it.

Actually, there is an armor museum near where I live with many functional tanks and other armored vehicles. We could always counter-assault with an unarmed Sherman tank!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Hey, with enough composition B and some copper sheeting, along with some engineering know-how, you have what is very similar to a US antitank design. The charge goes off, folding the now almost molten copper forward, shaping it into a spike. Melts right through a T72.

Uparmored 'Merican truck! Count me in! I volunteer for the Sherman with the charge on the front SIR! Ramming speed! Can I put a parade float on top of the tank in the shape of a cake with eat me written on the side? :D

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Actually the best tactic would be to blend into the civilian population and attack them from behind the "lines". Assaulting an armored division with small arms is suicide.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Actually the best tactic would be to blend into the civilian population and attack them from behind the "lines". Assaulting an armored division with small arms is suicide.

Agreed. Unless you have enough explosive to hit their tracks with, and can get in behind them, you're FUBAR.

Honestly, I'd rather be unseen, unheard, but felt with Force. With my current set up, I could more than likely do that... save for a Ghillie suit... which aren't hard (nor expensive) to make up. I'd need a spotter to run with, but have yet to find someone.

Yes, the screen name has double meanings..

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If you really want to **** em off, lay "mines" in the road, make half of em real (or even light pop!), the other half fake. Takes em about an hour per mine, if I remember what my EOD friend in Iraq was saying (he hates his job, keeps writing me that he didnt want this crap when he signed up after high school).

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    If you really want to **** em off, lay "mines" in the road, make half of em real (or even light pop!), the other half fake. Takes em about an hour per mine, if I remember what my EOD friend in Iraq was saying (he hates his job, keeps writing me that he didnt want this crap when he signed up after high school).

I don't want to **** them off... I want them dead. The only reason I'd lay out mines... Is to make them get out to make them soft targets. Then, once all "soft targets" eliminated... boo-yah!! you has a tank... their armaments, AND communications!!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    AFVs are less than optimal in urban environs.

As the USMC says "hunting tanks is fun and easy". Several resources available, but hitting the soft support vehicles (repair, carriers, fuel supply, etc.) is a far better tactic than hitting a moving column or AFVs in laager.

The notion that we will see AFVs on Indiana soil is a tiny possibility to say the least. Although I could forsee a scenario wherein President Obama requests UN aid to help enforce the Treaty on Small Arms which a Democratic Senate approves.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That would certainly be a significantly sucky situation.

I'd like to believe that the majority of those who are in our military and hopefully the Federal gov't civilian army (all of the armed Federal agents) would be as outraged by such heinous crimes as we would.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    That would certainly be a significantly sucky situation.

I'd like to believe that the majority of those who are in our military and hopefully the Federal gov't civilian army (all of the armed Federal agents) would be as outraged by such heinous crimes as we would.

As would I, but a lot of their political actions don't make sense to me..:runaway:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

I would not count on it. It was Delta Force that was pulling triggers on the people running out of the burning Mount Carmel in Waco, Texas.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    IDriver
    Top Bottom