• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    My wife is not a "gun person" but is recognizing the importance of having one in the home. I carry regularly and would like her to also. She does not like the idea. What have you done to help your significant other/spouse begin to carry?

Robert8252

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Sneak up on her in a parking lot wearing all black and a ski mask :bacondance:

On a serious note, having the same issue. She just isn't interested in carrying but doesn't mind going to the range with me sometimes and doesn't care that I carry.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If someone isn't comfortable carrying a weapon I would not push it really hard. Just keep taking her to the range and reenforce the positive's of carrying. Maybe she just doesn't feel experienced enough yet? Talk to her about what her fears of carrying are? She will hopefully change her mind. If she doesn't have her LTCH yet I'd encourage that first. Then maybe things will turn around!

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    If someone isn't comfortable carrying a weapon I would not push it really hard. Just keep taking her to the range and reenforce the positive's of carrying. Maybe she just doesn't feel experienced enough yet? Talk to her about what her fears of carrying are? She will hopefully change her mind. If she doesn't have her LTCH yet I'd encourage that first. Then maybe things will turn around!

Thanks for the thoughts, that is helpful. Going to the range is a good idea as well, we don't do that as much as we should. We discuss the importance at home a lot, and do dry fire drill with snap caps, but it's not the same. She has come a long way since we were married a few years back with guns. Once we had kids and watched the news on a few home invasions that did it for her..

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Why does she not want to carry?

I think several things:
    1. She doesn't like guns- extension of gender stereotypes "guns are for guys"
    2. Naivety about what could happen, what I don't know about the world can't hurt me
    3. Experience with them, general comfort.

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    One of my first dates with my wife was a trip to the range.

Yeah, it was a litmus test. She passed! :)

So when I was dating, I lived with some guys and we all had guns. I bought a large gun safe and since we had all our stuff in each bedroom, there was not a lot of space for this new safe (I mean they are like the size of a small fridge). SO we placed it in our dining room. When we would have girls come over, it was custom to show the safe and see how interested the girls would be in it's contents. Most of my roommates girlfriends and mine would show some interest. My wife was the first one who didn't, I took it as her being honest though. Now we have our own home, 2 kids and a normal size home. She would not let me keep the safe in our bedroom (or the kiddo bedrooms) and I couldn't fit it down in the basement. SO it sits prominently in our kitchen next to the fridge. I am not a great conversationalist by nature, so it becomes a great talking point when we have people over.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think several things:
    1. She doesn't like guns- extension of gender stereotypes "guns are for guys"
    It is difficult to overcome personal lilies and dislikes. Or assumptions about stereotypes if she isn't naturally prone to rocking the boat.

2. Naivety about what could happen, what I don't know about the world can't hurt me
    This seems to be a very common thought paradigm for women. Aside from a real-life incident, I don't know how to deal with this one. Just remember that women are motivated more by emotion than men, so a focus on the facts is going to have less success than it would with a man.

3. Experience with them, general comfort.
    This you can deal with.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I explained to my wife why I carry.I also had her play out a scenario,in her head,in which she and our son were in imminent danger(kids really are great leverage).She now has a purse designed for CC and my .38 rides in that pocket all the time.We're also going to look at Glocks for her in the near future.As far as on-body carry,that's gonna take a while.Baby steps.

ETA:Try to teach her more and make it something that you guys do together.The interest for my wife started when I'd randomly clear my weapon and do dry fire practice and then I'd get her in on it,teaching her things and letting her into my world.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    ab, my wife doesn't carry either. One of the reasons she states is that the clothing she wears isn't suitable for wearing a gun in a holster. That and she doesn't want to "purse-carry". She likes the idea that I do but I don't think she's really all that committed to the idea she ought to as well. Like you said, in her mind, I'd be inclined to attribute that to that gender stereotype kind of thing.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    ab, my wife doesn't carry either. One of the reasons she states is that the clothing she wears isn't suitable for wearing a gun in a holster. That and she doesn't want to "purse-carry". She likes the idea that I do but I don't think she's really all that committed to the idea she ought to as well. Like you said, in her mind, I'd be inclined to attribute that to that gender stereotype kind of thing.

Sounds like your wife needs to meet Lisa @ Mad Duck Trainig just North of Cincinnati... Concealed Carrys a full 1911 in a hip holster while wearing an above the knee (tight) skirt & stiletto heels... Also was School Teacher of the Year in Ohio last year (3rd grade full time teacher)

http://www.madduckttc.net

Rooze1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 26, 2014
    NWI
    I have been trying to get my wife to carry for a long time. She has finally agreed to carry a Kimber Pepperblaster 2. It's not a gun but it's a start.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    She would not let me...

:n00b: :whip: :owned: :whip: :n00b:

Godzilla-facepalm.png

hEFA8B758

g1365571821561890382.jpg

:stickpoke:

:laugh: :laugh6: :lmfao: :laugh6: :laugh:

:ingo:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    This seems to be a very common thought paradigm for women. Aside from a real-life incident, I don't know how to deal with this one. Just remember that women are motivated more by emotion than men, so a focus on the facts is going to have less success than it would with a man.
    As a corollary to this, my experience suggests that wives/daughters also tend to feel safe because you carry, which makes them doing the same seem pointless or redundant particularly if they don't care to do so anyway.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    As a corollary to this, my experience suggests that wives/daughters also tend to feel safe because you carry, which makes them doing the same seem pointless or redundant particularly if they don't care to do so anyway.

Yeah, well. . . if my wife and daughers don't carry then who's gonna make ME feel safe, huh? Tell me that. So I have to carry, AND watch my own 6?

Makes me feel vulnerable being the only one doing all the carrying I tell ya!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I second the well armed woman meetings. If she isn't willing to attend, just spend some time reading on their web site. They have many articles about gun safety, carrying, etc. I have never been to their meetings but have spent a fair amount of time reading on their site and have printed articles off for friends who don't have access to the web (older neighbor in particular). I carry both on my person and in my purse (cc purse). Where I carry depends on where I am going and my clothing options. Some outfits just don't lend well to concealing. Different body types become a factor in this.

Top Bottom