• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raye7r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2009
    Parke County
    First of all I want to say I served from 71 to 92. President Reagan was def my fav president to serve under. ROE previously discussed.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hornadylnl
    Half way.

The only difference was that if I shot someone in Bosnia that endangered me, I would have been hung out to dry by my entire chain of command all the way up to and including the president. Your chain of command will most likely protect you.

The people of Bosnia were thought more highly of than American citizens in our own country. I'll guarantee you that you have 100 times more leeway in your interactions with citizens than we did with the Bosnian people. We were not allowed to keep a round chambered unless we were given specific orders at a specific moment to do so. Our ROE stated that we could use deadly force if our lives were in danger. We went to a hill where a potential riot was about to take place. Our chain of command told us we couldn't even fire a warning shot without their authorization.

I guess your life is worth more than mine was.

Original by:
    Bazooka Joe71

"That sounds like the biggest load of BS I've ever heard in my life(the story, not your word).

I don't think its right that you had to wait to fire and I most certainly don't think a PO should have to see a flash before he/she fires at some scumbag pointing a gun at him/her."

The ROE in Leb let this happen:

"Five days later, on October 23, 1983, a truck circled the Marine compound with its lights off, pulled up to the compound and the driver began taking pictures - which the guard thought "kind of strange." The driver cruised around again, then drove the truck through an iron gate left "invitingly" open and past two sentries with unloaded rifles.(13) By the time the sentries had loaded their weapons, the truck had run into the main building, detonating 12,000 pounds of explosives and killing 241 Marines."

Taken from:
    Chapter 9 pp 148 - 163 - REAGAN'S AMERICA

Actual ROE in effect discussed below the Aztec Poster, about 1/5 the way down.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    my dad was at that barracks. understandably, hes still pretty bitter about the whole situation.

God bless you both!!!

ROE given to us before we were to go into beruit went something like this. You can only shoot back if you shot at. Then only the person that got shot at could fire back, and it had to be the same kind of weapon that was used against you. Example rifleman gets hit by rpg, if he survived he can go find a rpg and shoot back but not with his rifle. That was a long time ago, I remember spotting a motar tube and had to watch them fire it through my cross hairs. Politics just have no place in combat.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom