• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patriot1951

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I have a SW9VE that has been a very reliable handgun. On Saturday, out of the blue, it began to frequently jam. Rather than ejecting, the spent casing was catching in the ejection port. Anybody ever experience this problem? If so, what is the remedy? Thanks.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    the spent casing was catching in the ejection port.

Are you talking about a "stovepipe" where the spent casing is sticking vertically or horizontally out of the ejection port but the next round is on its way in, or a double-feed, where the spent case is still on the breechface and is trying to be loaded back into the chamber along with the next (live) round?

tem375

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    that gun is finicky to being clean, how many rounds since you cleaned it and what kind of ammunition is causing the jam. It is most likely not clean, bad ammo, or a magazine related problem.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'd blame the ammo. Especially if it just started happening out of the blue like you say. Is it Winchester white?

Blow back extraction, requires a sufficient amount of blow back to properly eject a casing. Since it's stove piping, the extrator is catching the rim, but there isn't enough energy to throw it out off the ejection port.

Either that, or you were holding it like a girl. ;)

If it was double feeding, that means the extractor flat out missed the rim.

Failure to feed a round is likely a worn out spring in most cases, or a bad / improperly seated magazine.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    My sigma handles all types of 9mm rounds, never a failure. I shot several magazines of 95gr JSP from Federal just to see if my gun liked it. It hated the light bullet, I had about 4 or 5 jams in both of the magazines, I switched to 115gr and problem never occured. The advice given by other members is valid, but before you tear the pistol apart switch back to your regular ammo and see what happens first.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    How many rounds you have through the gun? It may be time for a new recoil spring.

Edit: should have read the rest of the thread first LOL 500-600 rounds isn't enough to wear out springs. I'd guess either your extractor needs a serious cleaning, or you gun hates the light bullets. I've used 'em before. Some guns, no problems. Some guns, jammamatic.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I run my 40VE horrendously filthy. I'm at about 2000 reloads (titegroup, some seriously dirty powder) without a cleaning and it's gross, but no functionality problems. i'd say if you don't see any mechanical problems, it's the ammo-recoil spring ratio. just not enough recoil from the cartridge to get the case all the way out of the gun before the slide tries to go back into battery.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Actually, it was 115 grain. They were Winchester range rounds.

Hmmmm.....I've sent about 2000 of those down range through my Sigma 9. I had a few stovepipes during the first 100 rounds, but it has since ran flawless. I would do as everyone is suggesting. Strip, scrub, inspect, and shoot again. Try different ammo if the problem remains. If it's happening with different ammo and there is no visible sign of worn parts, then off to the gunsmith she goes. Good luck.:twocents::D

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Honestly of all the budget priced guns I have had over the years the SW9/40VE has been the best value. Right after I bought the 9mm and 40 versions I put 300 rounds through each and fired them wet and after burying them boht in sand/dirt and they did great except the 9 which had 2 FTE and failed to chamber which a tap on the back of the slide cured. I would check extractor and recoil spring.

Top Bottom