• ...and so much more!
  • ibwaltb

Marksman
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    Just went through a little ordeal and wanted to share my story to perhaps help you guys on here. I purchased three used-Surefire lights off a guy on GunBroker; (x1) X300 Ulta and (x2) X300's. Messing around with them I noticed a few contrasts which led to a quick internet search and sure enough, counterfeits were prevalent.
    1645399388890.png
    Photo 1: Three Surefire lights purchased from GunBroker

Left: X300 Ultra = "X300Ultra"
    Middle: X300 = "A"
    Right: X300 = "B"

Did some digging online and found a couple hints. Messaged the seller immediately indicated that I thought I had some counterfeits and asked where he got them from. He was apologetic and indicated he purchased them through reputable vendors and also that each come off his personal pistols. Before sending them back I wanted to ensure they were indeed counterfeit and contacted Surefire customer service (Spoiler alert: great customer service).
    The Surefire Customer Service (SCS) agent walked me through which ones were and were not counterfeit. I sent him about 10+ photos and he was able to verify which ones were and were not counterfeit.

X300Ulta = counterfeit.
    Indicators:
    1) Surefire switch board does not have Surefire written directly on the board (green layer) as the X300 - "B" does. Photo below is what you want to see. The X300Ultra is shown above to the left which doesn't have "Surefire" written on the green layer.
    1645400028041.png
    2) It has the older tailswitch cap. X300-Ultra's shouldn't have these
    1645400059688.png
    3) Beam throw wasn't brighter than normal X300 with same batteries
    4) The inner board didn't have "Pb" crossed out (lead free) written on it and centered. This photo below is what you want to see and came from the genuine X300's:
    1645400646597.png
    5) Spacers on the tailcap were missing:
    1645400375932.png

X300 - "A" = Partial Counterfeit. What?!?!
    The tail cap was aftermarket/counterfeit on a legit X300 base. SCS rep had to get engineering on the phone for this one and within a couple minutes they were able to determine that while the body was legit, the tailswithc was not.
    Indicators:
    1) All mechanical motion was 'looser' substantially than the Surefire OEM tailcap (reference was non-counterfeit "B")
    2) The seal was not compressed as firmly as legit Surefire when closed
    3) Tailcap board did not have "Surefire" written on green layer
    Surefire customer rep I was working with offered to send a tailcap to me FOR FREE of charge ($42 MSRP). I told them they've been great to work therefore I'd pay for it, he then said it's $42, and in return I said I do accept charity and "THANK YOU!".
    This light body had the "Pb" free, the correct latch, , mounting screws, etc.

X300 - "B" = Genuine

In the end:
    1) GunBroker seller (not a big online store) is going to accept for a full return. We're splitting shipping. He's been great to work with. Within (5)min of my email he apologized and said he''d give a full refund and pay for shipping. Going to return the X300Ultra and will keep the other genuine Surefire lights.
    2) Surefire Customer Service is great. Very helpful, stayed on the line as I took/sent out pictures for their review. Free Tailcap on the way. Great experience.
    3) Hope this helps you guys spot fakes/counterfeits. These lights are not cheap even when purchasing second hand. Yes, I am a peasant.

Didn't proof read this, because I like miscommunication so any errors are my fault and I really don't care that much. If you have questions I'd be glad to give benign advice.

Cheers.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    A+ post value. Good photos and written account, intelligent resolution with Surefire and seller, and a great cautionary post.

I was already concerned about fakes or airsoft clones of various gear 15 years ago, and especially Chinese cloning capability seems to increase every year.

Scoring at home from the 1st photo just from handling Surefires from X200 to X300V before reading further I guessed; fake, fake based on door interior, real. Probably would have increased confidence if seeing the mount sides as well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm almost afraid to look close at my two X300's. I have had them for years. Both seem to work as they should and put up with being dragged all around.

Both bought second hand, from INGOers though.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Wow, great post and thanks for sharing.

Sorry you had to deal with that, but glad to hear everything worked out for you.

Thanks for all the great details!

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    This has also been the case with several Streamlight WML's (tlr-1, tlr7, Protac, etc). I've seen story after story from people buying them on ebay or some other non-vendor website only to realize they are fake. The crazy thing is the amount of detail these counterfeiters put in to this.
    I bought a TLR-1 on Amazon and about six months later, received a note that it ‘might’ have been counterfeit, but they were refunding me in full. Light still works fine, it’s bright, sturdy and as far as I can tell, genuine.

Top Bottom