• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Maybe not junk, but certainly not the best... or even very good.

Some data points:

• I got to see and handle some of the very first Superior lowers in an AR armorer's course a few years back. I wasn't thrilled, even then. They were supposedly production samples, but the rough machining and amateurish engraving made them look like toolroom prototypes. In the same course, my engineer buddy compared critical dimensions between a Superior lower and one of known quality, and just shook his head in disgust.

• Superior used to do the receivers for Defensive Edge's SLR-15 rifles, but DE had to reject such a high percentage that they switched vendors a couple years ago.

• I bought a Superior lower at a gun show a few years back. It was marked as a "cosmetic" blemish. It did indeed have a few little tool chatter marks on it, but the price was right (about $60, IIRC). Got it home, built it up, and found that only one of the 4 in-spec uppers I had in-house at the time (a couple Stags, a BM and a DPMS) would fit, and only then with some serious pressure applied. I think the location of one or both of the pivot pin holes was ever-so-slightly out of spec. That's a little more than "cosmetic" if you ask me. So I sold the lower along with that upper and vowed to forever wash my hands of Superior's products.

• At the INGO AR build party last year, only one of the half-dozen or so lowers we built exhibited any problems whatsoever. Guess what brand it was??

I rest my case.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Thanks for the heads up, I figured something was wrong with them. The engraving on the Lower in Aim's pic looks pretty bad too.

I'll stick with the DoubleStar's for the money.

I would really like a Mega Billet Lower too. I'm waiting to see if they check out though.:)

zsm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Indiana
    My experience went well. It had less forge flash than my other receivers except for CMT. All lowers are about the same except for a few exceptions. I'm not a big fan of the trigger screw though.

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    I built my AR on a Superior lower. No problems what so ever with the build.

Only issue is the magwell is tight. Magpul mags are very tight to fit in and will not drop freely. Regular mags seem to have no problems though.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I have 2 Superior Arms lowers, 1 of them is marked Class 3 Sales from LaPorte. While the finish on them isn't as "pretty" as say a Stag or some of the others I found mine to be fine.

CoyoteCarbine004.jpg

MagpulUBRcarbine012.jpg

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    With so few companies truely manufacturing lowers, I fail to see why so much nit-picking exists. It is true that there will be bad runs with any product. I suspect AR lowers are no different.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Ive got a Rogio (SP?) that has the same issue with the pin holes. The pins have to be pounded in and out, even if there is no upper on it. I wonder if it came from the same manufacturer. I haven't tested it otherwise for function, but i think it will be fine. I'll probably take a Dremel to the holes. It is not worth exchanging it because I don't want to dissassemble and then re-build.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Ive got a Rogio (SP?) that has the same issue with the pin holes. The pins have to be pounded in and out, even if there is no upper on it. I wonder if it came from the same manufacturer. I haven't tested it otherwise for function, but i think it will be fine. I'll probably take a Dremel to the holes. It is not worth exchanging it because I don't want to dissassemble and then re-build.

why not just use some flitz and try to polish it up a bit to make them work smoother? no dissasembly required.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think that in this day and age, there shouldn't be "bad runs" and if there is, they shouldn't be sold, but apparently they are and thus the variations in quality, and hence price and reputation.
    With so few companies truely manufacturing lowers, I fail to see why so much nit-picking exists. It is true that there will be bad runs with any product. I suspect AR lowers are no different.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    My AR is a Superior built ar. I've put about 500 through it without
    a hiccup. I have another superior lower for the wife. I'm waiting for the
    upper and stock from DEL-TON. Jan 10 order or there abouts.

THEY ARE TAKING FOREVER!! :rolleyes:

The takeup screw on the Superior is for trigger travel, I have mine set for a pretty short stroke.

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    i have one superior receiver and comparing them to my others it does fall short on fit and finish. it does work with all my uppers though.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    My primary AR is an SLR15 built from Superior parts. Despite a decent amount of shooting, I've never had any issues with it.

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    Superior Arms Lowers are not always the prettiest yes... I would say that depends on the year and batch for sure.

I have received some out of spec. Superiors... as well as some out of spec Rock River Arms receivers, and some Stag's a few years back that were awful looking. Lots of forge flash, light markings, and nicks in the anodizing.

In short every company puts out bad or not so great stuff every now and then. Some more than others. Are SA lowers junk... No not in my opinion.

At the INGO AR build party last year, only one of the half-dozen or so lowers we built exhibited any problems whatsoever. Guess what brand it was??

I was there and I do not remember this issue... Chances are that lower came from me so if there was any issues I would gladly refund this persons money or give them a new lower.

Top Bottom