• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Well as the title suggests I'm looking at tactical rifles. 22 LR, 223 Rem, 5.56, etc which is better to start with? I'd mainly be going to the range and working on my aim however I'm not going to start out with a thousand dollar rifle. I was looking at a Puma? tactical rifle with a 50 round drum 22 LR for 400 bucks seemed like a decent rifle however I'm pretty clueless.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I would suggest starting out with a .22. Savage makes a great rifle for the money. I think I gave $260 for my heavy barrel Savage MKII. After optics scope rings, and bi pod. I have about $500 in it. It's one hell of a tack driver. The biggest advantage that a .22 offers is cheap ammo. You can shoot all day. Without breaking your bank. :twocents:

Here is a pic of my Savage.

SAVAGE1203807.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    For $1000 why not invest in a good AR-15 with Iron Sights. Get a few mags and sling. Then purchase a drop in .22 conversion kit. Now you can fire .22LR, .223/5.56. Use the .22 conversion to reduce ammo cost. Take the money that is left and buy ammo or invest in an introductory carbine course. Then later add lights and optics to your weapon.

AccuRat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Just north of nowhere...
    If you're at the point where you want to "work on your aim," you really need to rethink your way-ahead. Let me elaborate: I'd really like to drop 6 figures on a McLaren F1 and run the Autobahn at 200 mph on a regular basis. However, I currently drive a Toyota Tacoma. I should probably start with a trusty used Mustang or Camaro or Corvette for a low 5-figure sum and spend some time at my local track learning how to drive.

Get a .22 to start. Find a used Ruger 10/22 with a few magazines or a Marling Model 60, grab a couple of bulk boxes of .22LR from WallyWorld and THEN go to the range with someone who can show you some basic and intermediate skills. You'll spend all of $200-$250, including range fees, shoot ALL DAY, have a blast punching holes and definitely improve your shooting skills.

Then, once you've put several thousand rounds of .22 downrange, talked with the knowledgeable folks here on this board and the ones you'll meet at the range and done some exhaustive research (that's half the fun), my bet is that, if you're looking for a true "tactical rifle" in the purest sense of the work, you'll end up with some kind of AR or maybe a Mini. A "tactical rifle" is about as ambiguious a term as you can find, though, and means something different to different people. I know plenty of folks who's "tactical rifle" is a 16" Winchester Trapper in .357 Mag or .44 Mag and believe me, they're not under armed. Just depends on what your intended purpose for the rifle is.

car06281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    Near Richmond
    1st rifle

For just a fraction more than 5.56 you can get into 6.8 spc. The ammo is more expensive but ammo prices will drop since it has been adopted by the military.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I should have added that I'm not an amateur at the range. I think I'll start off with the savage as U.S patriot suggested.

Top Bottom