• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I have been out of the reloading game for 20 plus years and want back in. I plan to relaod 44 mag pistol, 445 sup mag for rifle.
    WHat do you guys recommend for a good manual? And, is ebay a good place to get one?
    thanks

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Lee is a pretty informative one. I also have Lyman and then a few powder reference guides.

Try a few of the online stores. Grafs, midway, lock, stock and barrel, etc. Some these stores have decent price on the manuals.

Also, online references by the powder manufactures cna be of assistance.

Super38

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you know what particular manufacture of favorite bullets, their manuals usually are a good choice. Lyman and Lee's are good. Also, don't forget, many major bullet manufactures also have a 1-800 # you can call and speak " live " to a ballistic tecnician. I have always found them to be great and friendly.

speer 1-800-627-3640
    hornady 1-800-338-3220
    sierra 1-800-223-8799
    alliance powder 540-639-7631

hunt4fun

Retired
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    North Salem
    I have a Nosler, Lee, and a Lyman. By far, I like the Lyman the best. For each caliber it has a nice selection of lead and jacketed bullets, it's a large paperback that is easy to handle at the bench or peruse in the recliner.

super38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    How is the Nosler manual? I've been looking for one but just haven't shelled out the coin for it yet.

How does it differ from the Lee?

Big Mac 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    I am getting into reloading myself and I just bought the Lee manual and Lyman 49th from Midway. I think they have about the best pricing on them. I think ab $34 (total for both) plus shipping.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I like Accurate manual. Whenever I load stuff up according to their data, it functions in my guns and chronos exactly as predicted. Needless to say I have not found this to be true with other manuals/powders. If you have a Garand it is a nice manual to have because they give data to match the USGI .30-06 specs.

Obviously it is not much good unless you use Accurate powders.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    My favorite are the One Caliber, One Book, you can find them in lots of calibers and usually on Midway online (sometimes at Gander Mountain, yark! :( ). They have ALL the data, most up to date, from most if not all powder and most bullet manufacturers.

I like Sierra's data, as it gives velocity for individual increments of powder, they usually (some exceptions) use real guns for their data, they are close and they give "hunting" and "accuracy" load data.

Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Purchasing a Lyman reloading manual is good advice...it has a good description of the reloading process. I do find it somewhat limited in choice of bullets, but I normally seek a specific load. I find myself using the Sierra manual the most due to the bullets I use. The Sierra manual seems to have faster loads, and the ballistic tables are especially good. The Hornady manual is laid out well and is close to the Sierra. The Speer manual lists many lead pistol bullets and is desirable for this particuliar type of bullet. The Lee manual covers most bullets of all manufacturers, but it lacks ballistic information. It is very comprehensive covering all aspects of reloading. The Vihta Vouri gives more maximum loads for European military cartridges. Finally, the Hodgdon manual has a lot of data for it's powder and now that Hodgdon purchased IMR powders, and Winchester powders when they create a new manual will most likely have a very diverse data section. Hodgdon does publish a annual reloading book that contains loading tables for most cartridges and new cartridges introduce since the printing of the main manual. I do hate the Hogdon binder for it's main manual...it's a pain to use.
    Hoosier

Top Bottom