Subcompact 1911s Just don't work well....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I don't know where you or Pincus get your info but I have a Colt Defender w/ a 3" barrel that has never malfunctioned
    If the 1911A1 didn't work well in all it's configurations how could it be so popular after over 100 years in production.
    I'm sure that if you buy a 1911 compact for Glock money you don't get the best quality out there but really!!!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't know where you or Pincus get your info but I have a Colt Defender w/ a 3" barrel that has never malfunctioned

Ummm, Pincus gets his info from gun school. Ya know, school, where stuff gets tested.

It is not unusual for one who sees certain guns go TU class after class have an opinion about what works and what does not.

Out of curiousity, how many classes has your 3" Colt been to?:dunno:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Ummm, Pincus gets his info from gun school. Ya know, school, where stuff gets tested.

It is not unusual for one who sees certain guns go TU class after class have an opinion about what works and what does not.

Out of curiousity, how many classes has your 3" Colt been to?:dunno:

Bbbbbb bbut, if 1911s, according to Pincus, are soooo horrible and gun instructors are the end all be all, then why is Todd Greene going to one (albeit, not abandoning his M&P and Glocks)? LOL :popcorn: I mean, it's a 1911, why even try? lol

I think people are honestly getting too hung up on this crap. I mean, look at it this way: A guy I worked with took a Tactical Response class with a Baby Eagle. Not only did the gun run well (despite being THROWN at the target in a case), but he was pretty much punished for carrying a SA/DA pistol and not a mythical G19. Had to decock and put on full safe, DRAW with the safety on and work against the way he would normally (and anyone with two braincells) would carry that pistol.

Just because an instructor (and yes, I have taken a class or two ;) ) sez its good or bad, doesn't make it so. But then again, I am leery to trust people that say a gun is 100% reliable. I have had Glocks fail and had 1911s that ran hot and dirty for over 1K before a single jam. Just like G22s blowing up, there is so much out there for something statistically to fail. Having a maintenance intensive weapon like a 1911 is hard to work especially when the game the instructors run is opposed to anything outside of combat tupperware.

If it works for YOU, then why trade up? I dislike how instructors now need to be overopinionated, equipment rather than tactics oriented and have to be 'controversial' so they can stay above other instructors, all clamouring for cash and students. It's simple marketing. Got us all talking. Think about it... who wants to take one of Pincus' classes now? :dunno: :D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Went to school with a guy who had an Auto Ordance that worked. There's always a outlier.:laugh:

I dislike how instructors now need to be overopinionated, equipment rather than tactics oriented and have to be 'controversial' so they can stay above other instructors, all clamouring for cash and students

All instructors, even the teachers in the gun culture, have opinions on gear. Some vocalize them, some do not.

Remember, as the Chinese say, the half empty bucket sloshes about and is noisy; the full bucket is silent.

who wants to take one of Pincus' classes now?

Don't know. I have seen many posts about how MY GUN doesn't malfunction, but nothing, not a thing, about how they will take a Pincus class and show that Rob Pincus a thing or two about subcompact 1911s.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Bbbbbb bbut, if 1911s, according to Pincus, are soooo horrible and gun instructors are the end all be all, then why is Todd Greene going to one (albeit, not abandoning his M&P and Glocks)? LOL :popcorn: I mean, it's a 1911, why even try? lol

I think people are honestly getting too hung up on this crap. I mean, look at it this way: A guy I worked with took a Tactical Response class with a Baby Eagle. Not only did the gun run well (despite being THROWN at the target in a case), but he was pretty much punished for carrying a SA/DA pistol and not a mythical G19. Had to decock and put on full safe, DRAW with the safety on and work against the way he would normally (and anyone with two braincells) would carry that pistol.

Just because an instructor (and yes, I have taken a class or two ;) ) sez its good or bad, doesn't make it so. But then again, I am leery to trust people that say a gun is 100% reliable. I have had Glocks fail and had 1911s that ran hot and dirty for over 1K before a single jam. Just like G22s blowing up, there is so much out there for something statistically to fail. Having a maintenance intensive weapon like a 1911 is hard to work especially when the game the instructors run is opposed to anything outside of combat tupperware.

If it works for YOU, then why trade up? I dislike how instructors now need to be overopinionated, equipment rather than tactics oriented and have to be 'controversial' so they can stay above other instructors, all clamouring for cash and students. It's simple marketing. Got us all talking. Think about it... who wants to take one of Pincus' classes now? :dunno: :D

Great points, tried to rep you, but apparently I have rep'ed you before.

As you stated, love how people will say your gun will fail, when you use it like you would not use it. Or show how a certain gun will function after a "Torture test" which shows conditions that I just have to wonder how they come up with. While I want to get a Danial Defense rifle, on their torture test they run over it and drop it from a helo. When the heck are most people going to drop a rifle from over 200 feet and need it to still run. Im glad that it still works, and I dont think you should baby your weapon but on the other hand, i think some of them are a little extreme and you forget about the purpose in the first place.

More food for thought ... or should I say, "Fuel for the fire?"

With this, liked how he said that he tested a rifle, and said it was bad because he fed it an ammo that it was finicky with. If I know my rifle runs fine with everything but Eagle (or Federal, or Winchester, or any others), then gee, I will use everything except that bad ammo. Saying that its a crap firearm cause it doesnt run being feed junk makes me want to prove a point to them. After all, using that same point, I would point out, that they better be able to eat ANY food that anyone else in the world can eat, and still be able to operate at top efficiency. If they are allergic to ANYTHING, or eat something that does not agree with them, then they are a hypocrite, cause they cant run on anything themselves.

Personally, I think if you like it, and can run your firearm and it works for you, then I say go with it. After all, when I teach a new shooter, I have a couple different firearms, because what I like, might not feel the same to someone else. I know that different people have different hand sizes, and like different calibers. So, as we tell all new shooters, pick something that YOU like and run with it. This is saying, if you don't like my product, then you aren't a serious shooter. Sorry, thats just crap advertising and makes me question their "opinions" more. Or should I say their agendas.

Going by their logic, most the weapons the military uses, is crap and should be thrown away. After all, I have seen every issue weapon fail. But, how much of it was from poor maintenance, or from trying to do something it was not intended to do. An M4 can provide covering and grazing fire, but if thats what Im using it for, its going to fail. If Im going to try and carry a M2 .50 and hip fire it, well, thats just ludicrous, but you get my point. If you use it as it was designed for, and you are comfortable with it and you like it, dont worry about what some "expert" says.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Let me load up my Ed Brown, or TRP..... Looks like I'm gonna get some free "training" and burn up a lot of ammo on "mr" pincus' dime....

What a douche....

My TRP has nearly 25,000 rounds thru it. I clean it about once every 2K unless it gets rained on. I once ran it almost 3K with nothing more than an external wipe off. It had NO, ZERO, ZILCH, NADDA, malfunctions that are not related to a WAY out of spec reload. There are less than 10 of those. Mostly due to me being lazy and not running all the cartridges thru case guage.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I have read all of this and I haven't seen a reply from the OP. Did anyone take him up on this? I wonder if he just said that to get all of us 1911 owners defensive and see the responses...

Since your new here and nobody else answered you I will. The OP was not the one who made that statement. He is the owner here and what he posted was a quote from a guy name Rob Pincus who is the one in the video.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Never said they were, His "challange" at the end of his video said nothing about compacts.... only 1911s ....

Yes, it did. He stated that he had a zero percent success rate with compacts and 10% with full sized 1911s.

I've seen all kinds of guns fail in school--Glocks, 1911s, revolvers, inter alia.

I merely await someone who trumpets their bulletproof 1911, of any size, to pick up the glove. Has anyone?:dunno:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Yes, it did. He stated that he had a zero percent success rate with compacts and 10% with full sized 1911s.

I've seen all kinds of guns fail in school--Glocks, 1911s, revolvers, inter alia.

I merely await someone who trumpets their bulletproof 1911, of any size, to pick up the glove. Has anyone?:dunno:

I tried. I have sent him a total of 3 emails. No response.

Kimber Ultra Carry II in stainless.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I went to his website and it said to hit the contact button to ask questions about his classes.

I inquired as to which class his challenge covered and his location/schedule for the class so I could sign up.

Ever get even a response back yet? Besides, he sounds like someone that you would really get a long with. He think OC is bad as well (as he posted in another video, which is on another thread). Sounds like he just has tons of great advice. I couldn't watch his whole other video, hard to take someone serious when he says that people that OC stand out, while he is wearing firearm shirts, and a HUGE HUMMER with gun advertisements all over it. Nope, thats how you blend in, im sure. Since I know you are abit of an OC kinda guy, just thought Id give ya the heads up, in case, somehow, you manage to go
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxvOjO7XjMU[/ame]
    Just in case you want to scream

Top Bottom