Subcompact 1911s Just don't work well....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    My experiance with sub-compact 1911s is that when I am ROing people who are shooting them, they jam all the time. MULTIPLE times per match.

When I am not ROing, I see people shoot them the entire day without issue.

So..... I dont know what that means.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If I cleared a malfunction like that, Clint Smith would teleport through the air and beat me with two canes.

Mixed bag: While I've never seen a compact 1911 make it through a class, I've seen plenty of other pistols go TU, including a Les Baer TRS that blew up in my hands.

If the Space Shuttle can go up like a bottle rocket . . .

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    As stated on here, and I have said before. Unless you are in combat, what do you really really need the high round count for? I mean, in the US, while you are carrying, are you REALLY going to run into a scenario that you will shoot 500 rounds without cleaning? Matter of fact, how many people do you know that even have 500 rounds at a time, loaded and ready to go? Oh, thats right, you might have a couple mags and the boxes in the back. So, the bad guy will let you go back, and reload the mags, and let you know how many you will need for the up coming shoot out? Yep, totally. Will a gun fail? Yes, any gun when ran hard enough will fail, no matter what brand or type it is. It is a machine and any machine will break when pushed beyond its limits, or purposes.
    As another person stated, you should be using your pistol to fight to get to your rifle (Nice quote by Jeff Cooper, by the way). Well, you should be using a subcompact to fight to either full sized pistol or because your full sized pistol went down.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    As stated on here, and I have said before. Unless you are in combat, what do you really really need the high round count for? I mean, in the US, while you are carrying, are you REALLY going to run into a scenario that you will shoot 500 rounds without cleaning? Matter of fact, how many people do you know that even have 500 rounds at a time, loaded and ready to go? Oh, thats right, you might have a couple mags and the boxes in the back. So, the bad guy will let you go back, and reload the mags, and let you know how many you will need for the up coming shoot out? Yep, totally. Will a gun fail? Yes, any gun when ran hard enough will fail, no matter what brand or type it is. It is a machine and any machine will break when pushed beyond its limits, or purposes.
    As another person stated, you should be using your pistol to fight to get to your rifle (Nice quote by Jeff Cooper, by the way). Well, you should be using a subcompact to fight to either full sized pistol or because your full sized pistol went down.

Because you need to push your skills and equipment 200% past were you think you could be at. What if SHTF and you are stuck fighting with your carry gun to get back to your family? Can your gun get dirty and still function after 100 rounds? I like to know the limits of both myself and my equipment.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    My experiance with sub-compact 1911s is that when I am ROing people who are shooting them, they jam all the time. MULTIPLE times per match.

When I am not ROing, I see people shoot them the entire day without issue.

So..... I dont know what that means.
    I think it means you should quit RO'ing and that will solve the sub-compact 1911 issues.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I wonder how many rigs, when shot to many rounds without issue, teeter on the brink of component/subassembly failure (due to high round count).

Danged if ya do, danged if ya don't.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Well, my (now sold) 1911-C3 Crimson Trace by Sig Sauer was flawless, despite many claiming the Officer's frame was a cause for many issues in the 1911 platform, it proved them wrong being 100% flawless.

And hell, my GSG-1911 (albeit it's NOT a subcompact... sorry for being kind of off topic) feeds 22LR Winchester Wildcat High-Velocity rounds superbly. I've had two FTF's, one FTE within a 200 round semi-break-in period. The FTF's by the way were my thumb being on the slide - I wasn't used to shooting a 1911 and it's so light and easy to rack, I get a little too comfortable with it up there =D.

Either way - don't blame the gun(s) so much, it can be a number of things: including shooter, magazine, and ammunition. Sure it can be the gun, I've owned a lemon if I'd ever heard the phrase before in a Taurus PT-845.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    As stated on here, and I have said before. Unless you are in combat, what do you really really need the high round count for? I mean, in the US, while you are carrying, are you REALLY going to run into a scenario that you will shoot 500 rounds without cleaning? Matter of fact, how many people do you know that even have 500 rounds at a time, loaded and ready to go?

I routinely carry 63 spare mags for my EMP, all IWB. I have a size 28 waist, and I buy size 42 pants. But I am prepared!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    As long as I run the right magazine for the ammo... Generally wadcutter feed lips and 7 round capacity, I've not had any problems out of my 1911... When I start running long-seated 200gr SWCs in a GI feedlip 8 round magazine, It'll usually take a tap to get it fully into battery on the last round. From a wadcutter mag, the same load never presents a problem. Seating the bullet deeper also eliminates the problem for me.

I think so many problems with 1911s now days could be solved with a properly tuned extractor and a proper slide release. Seems as if companies don't realize the back of the slide release is supposed to be cut at an angle, and basement gunsmiths think putting a dimple in is the correct solution. Wouldn't hurt if people knew how to hold one right too.

Top Bottom