• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    LOL, I just found another inconsistency in the Indiana Code regarding handgun licenses...

By a strict reading of the law, no Qualified ("for hunting and target practice") licenses to carry a handgun may be issued to any person.

To whit:

"Hunting and target practice" is not a "proper reason" for a LTCH, therefore the ISP has no legal authority to issue a Qualified LTCH.

:D

When you're hunting, you're defending your stomach from hunger and sanity from having to stare at a blank wall with no heads nailed to it.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What makes you think that anything in IC-35-47-2.5 provides a defense to an offense alleged under IC-35-47-2-1?

The list you quote appears to be exceptions to sub (b) of IC-35-47-2.5:

I see nothing that makes it an exception to IC-35-47-2-1.

Best,

Joe

I brought it up on another board and a lawyer from Lafayette said that it was correct. IANAL, so anything I say is worth exactly what you paid for it.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    - The drinking age (you can vote, and join the military, but you have to be sober for 3 more years.
    - Most of the sex offender laws (residency, work, registration, etc...). Some things get you on "the list" that are hardly deserving. If you are on "the list", why aren't you still in jail?
    I didnt take the time to creep and find out how old you are, or where you're from, but I'm assuming you're a bit older than me and not from SW Indiana. Soooo, talking from my personal experience I am going to say I would like to agree with you. I think morally its bull****. However, I'm going to interject my experience on the drinking age...I graduated in 09 and when I was 14/15 I drank cuz there wasn't anything else to do. Seriously. Most people around here do the same thing and they act like idiots throughout highschool. I'm at VU now and it seems that a lot of the kids from up north(i say this because there are more cities) who have been more...sheltered...drink and everything because they're away from mom and dad and its promoted in college anyway. Its not a good combo. There was a girl who got stabbed her because she was drunk and someone tried to rape her while she was drunk. She pulled a knife on the guy and he took it away and stabbed her a couple times. She didnt go to the hospital because she was afraid of what her parents think because apparently back home she was an angel. Where I'm from a lot of parents seem to promote alcohol useage. So, as far as alcohol goes, some parents take it too lightly, some take it too seriously, and most of these kids grow up with how their parents think and cant handle it in one way or another. My understanding is she is a LE major too so its not like she was a dumb bimbo. So, the short of what I think is this, society needs an overhaul before morality can catch up to it. I have a much longer explanation but I dont think anyone will read this, let alone the full version. If I need to explain things more though don't think this is just talking about stupid kids. =p

Of course, there is the argument that if we make it legal then it won't be such a big deal and it'll level things out after an initial period of abuse. I think that could possibly be a valid argument, but it currently isn't flying on another drug that is illegal for everyone. THC. Mind you, I'm so straight edge I have tattoo's displaying my beliefs.

On top of that, if anyone replies with "Well when I was young I drank thiiiiiiiiiis much and nothing happened...." I could care less. I didnt make this post to start a penis measuring contest. Not that something like that will be said because everyone here is so level headed, but I figured i'd cover all my bases. =]

As far as the sex offender thing goes, thats something else I'm passionate about. Seriously, people get caught up on sex offender so-and-so getting out earlier than he should but there seems to be less emphasis on the guy who went streaking and gets phone calls from wannabe cops and the neighborhood watch trying to run him out of town cuz they saw he was on an internet list of sex offenders. Where's the watch list of thieves and violent criminals? To be blunt, I survived Catholicism without being touched. I'm not 5 years old anymore and I'm not an unarmed (see what I did there, my better half is armed lol) woman. I could care less about a sex offender registry. I'm more worried about someone stealing my car. You old farts had to walk up hill both ways but you never had to pay for college thats expensive as it is now. =p If I lose something of monetary value to me, its devastating. Especially if it were my car, then I couldnt go to work off this debt I'll never pay off anyway! (If you didnt catch on I'm paying my own college before anyone accuses me of being a brat)

Jeeeez sorry for the rant. Haha. I swear I dont think all laws are stupid, I think that ideal is just as silly. However, those two really push my buttons. Obviously.

sweddle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    "ghostinthewood",

You are more concerned about your car than sex offenders? Your views may change once you get out of college world and raise a family. I by no means think that the sex offender registry is the be-all end-all to thwarting sex offenders, nor do I think that every person accused and convicted is 100% guilty (I do think there is some truth to 99% of the cases however). But I do think that anyone who commits a sex offense with an innocent child should forever be made known, because I think that it is an illness, not easily, or mostly ever fully recoverable from. This allows concerned parents to know that their neighbor or acquaintance may not be the kind of person they want around their children.

BTW, sorry you have it so rough in today's "expensive" collegiate society. I used my G.I. Bill to help pay for my college, and student loaned the rest.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    "ghostinthewood",

You are more concerned about your car than sex offenders? Your views may change once you get out of college world and raise a family. I by no means think that the sex offender registry is the be-all end-all to thwarting sex offenders, nor do I think that every person accused and convicted is 100% guilty (I do think there is some truth to 99% of the cases however). But I do think that anyone who commits a sex offense with an innocent child should forever be made known, because I think that it is an illness, not easily, or mostly ever fully recoverable from. This allows concerned parents to know that their neighbor or acquaintance may not be the kind of person they want around their children.

BTW, sorry you have it so rough in today's "expensive" collegiate society. I used my G.I. Bill to help pay for my college, and student loaned the rest.
    No no no, thats why I specified my age and situation. I know when I get older my views will change. Thats why I was very specific. lol

However, like I said, I think there are offenders of other sorts that effect more than just a small group of people.

Lets assume the list gets cleaned up and isn't so easily abused as time goes on and people refine it. I think its reasonable to assume that'll happen...eventually. Ok, so taking that I buy your "concerned parent" ideology. I still question why there aren't other lists of other concerned citizens but I already mentioned that so lets move on. My next issue, buying into this "concerned parent" bit and illness bit, why is being protective of your kids helping? Its helping your kids but its not helping the illness. Most people, and I feel very safe in saying most, want to run anyone on said list out of town. If everyone's moral compass is so great that they want to protect their kids in such a manner, who is helping the ill? No one. That requires either more compassion that most people ACTUALLY have and more qualification that less people than that have. On top of that, especially in Indiana which is still pretty conservative (socially, i could care less about politics for the sake of this topic) then sex, especially disorders associated with it, are super taboo. No one really wants to fix this illness, just claim the moral high ground while accomplishing nothing.

Do I have a solution? Not really. However, the sex offenders list and the way people treat other folks by only knowing quips of information is not right.

For the record I'm speaking in general, IDK you so idk what I said applies to you. Just explaining further my opinion. =]

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    First I was unaware st joe county had a high cap mag ban. That goes against the preemption statute. I think it is absurd to say no car sales on Sunday is industry driven to take a day off. They are free to not work Sunday if they want. If a few in the industry drive the law for a day off then they are saying I want a day off and you should have it off by law so you are not taking my business it is borderline facist.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    Just had this discussion with my mother, a legal secretary for almost 30 years...

According to what she has heard and read, those are due to pressure from the vendors themselves. Car dealers want one day a week to take a break, and so do liquor stores, if they allowed sSnday sales of booze, liqour stores would need to be open on Sundays to compete with supermarkets and such who already are.
    The liqour stores that raise a fuss are the ones close to the border who do possibly lose sales to people hopping the state line.
    Restaurants already SERVE alcohol on sundays, so if you want a drink you can still get one (as I tend to do from time to time)

That's how it was explained to me

I have seen several publish quotes from liquor store owners saying that they dont want the sunday law repealed... they fear they wont be able to compete with the big grocery stores.

sweddle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    No no no, thats why I specified my age and situation. I know when I get older my views will change. Thats why I was very specific. lol

However, like I said, I think there are offenders of other sorts that effect more than just a small group of people.

Lets assume the list gets cleaned up and isn't so easily abused as time goes on and people refine it. I think its reasonable to assume that'll happen...eventually. Ok, so taking that I buy your "concerned parent" ideology. I still question why there aren't other lists of other concerned citizens but I already mentioned that so lets move on. My next issue, buying into this "concerned parent" bit and illness bit, why is being protective of your kids helping? Its helping your kids but its not helping the illness. Most people, and I feel very safe in saying most, want to run anyone on said list out of town. If everyone's moral compass is so great that they want to protect their kids in such a manner, who is helping the ill? No one. That requires either more compassion that most people ACTUALLY have and more qualification that less people than that have. On top of that, especially in Indiana which is still pretty conservative (socially, i could care less about politics for the sake of this topic) then sex, especially disorders associated with it, are super taboo. No one really wants to fix this illness, just claim the moral high ground while accomplishing nothing.

Do I have a solution? Not really. However, the sex offenders list and the way people treat other folks by only knowing quips of information is not right.

For the record I'm speaking in general, IDK you so idk what I said applies to you. Just explaining further my opinion. =]

I can appreciate your assumptions, but let's first understand what is broke. You insinuate the registry is broken. I don't know of anything that is "absolute" perfect, but it is a start for "concerned parents". The offenders are broke, the registry is simply a tool that "concerned ideological parents" can use to quickly check someone who may infiltrate their trust or take advantage of their loved ones.

You ask "Why is being protective of your kids helping? Its helping your kids but its not helping the illness." I can't, you can't, help the ill. I do not personally know every offender in my town. Therefore, all I am left to do is "protect" my family. The more I know about a potential threat to my family, means that I am slightly better prepared to protect them from that threat. It is obvious that too little is being done by judicial systems and medical professionals to help these sick people, that I am not arguing. I am surprised though that you would rather be blind to the fact that your neighbor could be a possible child predator, while you allow your kids to play with his kids, niece/ nephew, girlfriends kids, dog etc.

We may simply may not agree on this subject. That being said, I'm going to spend some time with my family.

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    - No alcohol sales on Sunday.
    - No car sales on Sunday.
    - No alcohol sales on election days.
    - Inheritance tax (death tax).
    - Any tax on vices (prospering from other people vice?)
    - The drinking age (you can vote, and join the military, but you have to be sober for 3 more years.
    - Most of the sex offender laws (residency, work, registration, etc...). Some things get you on "the list" that are hardly deserving. If you are on "the list", why aren't you still in jail?
    - Gambling laws

The list goes on and on....
    I don't think that is the case anymore...at least as far as bars go. I had lunch at a tavern this past election day and they were serving alcohol.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I can appreciate your assumptions, but let's first understand what is broke. You insinuate the registry is broken. I don't know of anything that is "absolute" perfect, but it is a start for "concerned parents". The offenders are broke, the registry is simply a tool that "concerned ideological parents" can use to quickly check someone who may infiltrate their trust or take advantage of their loved ones.

You ask "Why is being protective of your kids helping? Its helping your kids but its not helping the illness." I can't, you can't, help the ill. I do not personally know every offender in my town. Therefore, all I am left to do is "protect" my family. The more I know about a potential threat to my family, means that I am slightly better prepared to protect them from that threat. It is obvious that too little is being done by judicial systems and medical professionals to help these sick people, that I am not arguing. I am surprised though that you would rather be blind to the fact that your neighbor could be a possible child predator, while you allow your kids to play with his kids, niece/ nephew, girlfriends kids, dog etc.

We may simply may not agree on this subject. That being said, I'm going to spend some time with my family.

I believe that I potentially can agree with. But I think you're both missing something very key in eldirector's original post.

eldirector said:

Bold added.

See... if you deserve to be on the list, then why are you in the public? Child molesters don't belong next door to you. Dumb drunks who get caught peeing behind a building shouldn't be registered sex offenders, on the other hand. That's the point I believe he was trying to make.

Considering that prison is supposed to be a largely rehabilitating area, if they figure that you should leave prison (even if you're a rapist) then you should be afforded all of your rights and not be treated like you're still a criminal because, supposedly, you are not.

Of course, in this system it doesn't work like that. People make plea bargains, get deals, and out early due to over-crowding and other reasons. Because of this people who shouldn't be out are.

Honestly, if I was going to pick a list of stupid laws in Indiana it would be very, very long.

- Illegality of recreational drugs.
    - Any laws prohibiting firearm ownership.
    - Any laws prohibiting the lawful carry of firearms.
    - Drinking ages.
    - Legality of less-than-lethal weapons
    - Legality of switchblades, stilettos, and other assisted opening knives.
    - Legality of balasongs, "ninja stars," and other such weapons.
    - Legality of gambling in general.
    - Prostitution laws.

Just to name a few.

I also concur with alcohol sales and car sales. There's no reason to make that stuff illegal and all it's doing is promoting one private entity over another. The government should have minimal commercial involvement and shouldn't favor one commercial interest over another.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the matter.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I don't think that is the case anymore...at least as far as bars go. I had lunch at a tavern this past election day and they were serving alcohol.
    As darkrose said, its a ban on carry-out sales. Just like you can go to a restaurant and drink a beer on Sunday, you can do the same on Election day. You just can't purchase carry-out alcohol.

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    As darkrose said, its a ban on carry-out sales. Just like you can go to a restaurant and drink a beer on Sunday, you can do the same on Election day. You just can't purchase carry-out alcohol.
    I'm pretty sure that until this year bars were not allowed to be open during polling hours.

You can buy carry-out alcohol on election days...you just have to wait until after the polls close.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm pretty sure that until this year bars were not allowed to be open during polling hours.

You can buy carry-out alcohol on election days...you just have to wait until after the polls close.
    IIRC, it depends if it's considered a restaurant and bar, or just a bar. I don't think bars can be open, but restaurants that serve alcohol can be.

But I'm not sure on that. Either way, the law is stupid and that's the point of all this.

Top Bottom