• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I can appreciate your assumptions, but let's first understand what is broke. You insinuate the registry is broken. I don't know of anything that is "absolute" perfect, but it is a start for "concerned parents". The offenders are broke, the registry is simply a tool that "concerned ideological parents" can use to quickly check someone who may infiltrate their trust or take advantage of their loved ones.

You ask "Why is being protective of your kids helping? Its helping your kids but its not helping the illness." I can't, you can't, help the ill. I do not personally know every offender in my town. Therefore, all I am left to do is "protect" my family. The more I know about a potential threat to my family, means that I am slightly better prepared to protect them from that threat. It is obvious that too little is being done by judicial systems and medical professionals to help these sick people, that I am not arguing. I am surprised though that you would rather be blind to the fact that your neighbor could be a possible child predator, while you allow your kids to play with his kids, niece/ nephew, girlfriends kids, dog etc.

We may simply may not agree on this subject. That being said, I'm going to spend some time with my family.

Well, they probably should still be in jail. Our laws do not allow us to lock someone up forever for being a child predator. A few years ago, an extensive study finally reported the recidivism rate for child molesters within 5 years of release from jail.

The recidivism rate was essentially 100% within 5 years of release!!!

Since our lawmakers are not comfortable with life in prison, notifying everyone else of the very real threat is the next best thing.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    St Joseph county banning high capacity magazines. absurd.

This is luckily one of the few laws that is stupid but invalid.

Here is an email I keep handy on the subjects if online vendors don't want to ship things to South Bend.

Here is why all of South Bend's laws on guns are completely invalid. This first link is to the Indiana law on preemption. It states that a municipality may not regulate in any manner the ownership, possession, sale, transfer, or transportation of firearms (as defined in IC 35-47-1-5) or ammunition except in a few cases that South Bend doesn't meet. It states right in there that any laws on the books before January 1st, 1994 are exempted from this law.

Indiana Code 35-47-11

Here are the South Bend municipality codes. Chapter 13, Article 10 contains all of the information regarding assault weapons which is very liberal, including no magazines over 15 rounds within city limits, and no weapons that can accept magazines over 15 rounds allowed. It's very strict including community service, $2500 per violation, and extra money for every round that is in the gun over 15. If you notice at the top, this Article 10 was adopted on February 21st, 1994. That means they missed the preemption date by 1 month and 21 days. Therefore, all of South Bend's laws on firearms and ammunition are null and void.

Municode.com | Online Library (Click on Chapter 13, Article 10)

I will mention that as of the last time I checked no one had been charged with a violation of these codes. If you were you could beat it easily but it may still cost you. I talked to a representative at the South Bend PD and they claim these are valid codes and will be enforced but they haven't been yet. Not sure where that leaves us. I guess I'm going to go about my business and if I ever get picked up for it then I'll deal with it at that point.

I have shown a neighbor who happens to be a cop my AK-converted Saiga and he oohed and aaahed over it and never said a word...*sniff* that was, sadly, before it was lost in a freak boating accident on Lake Michigan.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    snip
    - Legality of less-than-lethal weapons
    - Legality...and other assisted opening knives.
    - Legality of balasongs, "ninja stars," and other such weapons.
    - Legality of gambling in general.
    /snip

Here we go. Tell me where in the IC you can't have a less-than-lethal weapon. They're regulated, but still legal. If you're referring to the portion I cut about any law preventing the carry like the firearms carry laws, then I agree.

Show me where "other assisted opening knives" are illegal according to the IC. There's an assisted opening knife I'm keeping an eye on right now for myself that's on sale at a major retailer. I hope I don't get arrested as soon as I buy it.

Show me where balasongs (butterfly knives) are illegal. Yes, "ninja stars" are specified in the IC, as are other "shuriken". Butterfly knives aren't shuriken. No weapon should be illegal, as the RKBA doesn't say "except for those that aren't popular or that we don't like."

As far as the "legality of gambling", are you saying that gambling shouldn't be legal, or that it also shouldn't be regulated period, meaning that you could go anywhere and gamble at any time? Since gambling isn't a right, I'd say regulation of that industry is acceptable, due to the fact that non-regulation leads to out and out theft, like those cherry picker machines in bars that can be manipulated to never pay out. Just one example.

Please 'splain your thoughts.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    I can appreciate your assumptions, but let's first understand what is broke. You insinuate the registry is broken. I don't know of anything that is "absolute" perfect, but it is a start for "concerned parents". The offenders are broke, the registry is simply a tool that "concerned ideological parents" can use to quickly check someone who may infiltrate their trust or take advantage of their loved ones.

You ask "Why is being protective of your kids helping? Its helping your kids but its not helping the illness." I can't, you can't, help the ill. I do not personally know every offender in my town. Therefore, all I am left to do is "protect" my family. The more I know about a potential threat to my family, means that I am slightly better prepared to protect them from that threat. It is obvious that too little is being done by judicial systems and medical professionals to help these sick people, that I am not arguing. I am surprised though that you would rather be blind to the fact that your neighbor could be a possible child predator, while you allow your kids to play with his kids, niece/ nephew, girlfriends kids, dog etc.

We may simply may not agree on this subject. That being said, I'm going to spend some time with my family.
    Since you included medical professionals instead of just *****ing, I'm going to have to sway more to your opinion. Most people just *****. Archaic i think got at it too. Not enough is being done about these people. I think some, the ones who are violent and sadistic (though my definition is probably a lot more conservative) should probably stay in jail. However those who are mentally ill or made a mistake get thrown in with these other violent offenders and become more disturbed. I put the blame on everyone for that. I am not justifying their original actions, however if people are going to come at the ill with pitch forks and torches, then I will question them as to what they've done to help these people. If we, as a state, nation, society, or whatever have done what we can to help them and they make a choice that negates what we've done, then screw them. However, I find it disturbing that people are quick to lynch but unwilling to help because an open discussion on sex makes them uncomfortable. I think its even more sickening that people are quick to lynch highschool kids who slept with classmates who weren't old enough yet, people caught doing things in public, or streakers without knowing that these people aren't really sex offenders. I think the lists and the rehabilitation system are broken, and people need to man up and talk about things openly instead of puffing their chests out.

Let me once again say I know my views will change when I have kids. I know I'll be looking around at these sex offenders lists and all that jazz. However, I will still find it odd that sex offenders are the only ones with persecution lists...

tl;dr I think we agree the system is broke. =p

Edit*
    Well, they probably should still be in jail. Our laws do not allow us to lock someone up forever for being a child predator. A few years ago, an extensive study finally reported the recidivism rate for child molesters within 5 years of release from jail.

The recidivism rate was essentially 100% within 5 years of release!!!

Since our lawmakers are not comfortable with life in prison, notifying everyone else of the very real threat is the next best thing.

Direct correlation is not normally causation. Thats one of the first things you learn in most psychology classes. Look at where a lot of sexual predators go, prison. I think we all know prison is rough, but make sure you take time to really find out what all goes on in prison. I dont think it's much of a surprise that these people are more sexually deviant when they come out...

I think the real problem, as I alluded to earlier is that we treat most sexual deviance the same so law makers, because society reflects it, just wanted a quick answer for everything instead of talking about such awkward things in an open forum. They split the difference between drunken dares and violent deviants.

Let me reiterate, more simply, I am not advocating a get out of jail free cards for deviants. I am not trying to play nice. I am just trying to be fair to everyone. I believe violent, or especially sadistic offenders need to be in jail longer than they are. I also believe that things that aren't as big of a deal shouldn't lead to lynchings.

Last edited:

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Will do. I was kind of shortening it, but here ya go.

Here we go. Tell me where in the IC you can't have a less-than-lethal weapon. They're regulated, but still legal. If you're referring to the portion I cut about any law preventing the carry like the firearms carry laws, then I agree.

Exactly what I'm talking about. Laws that regulate them and regulate the carry. Arms, as far as I'm concerned don't just mean "guns" but any sort of weapon a person would like to carry and/or own.

Show me where "other assisted opening knives" are illegal according to the IC. There's an assisted opening knife I'm keeping an eye on right now for myself that's on sale at a major retailer. I hope I don't get arrested as soon as I buy it.

Currently they're not illegal, but I've seen bills introduced that push for them to be. So... I guess on a technicality you're right, but I threw it in there because it's been considered. I currently own a knife that would have been illegal if the last bill I'd seen had passed.

Show me where balasongs (butterfly knives) are illegal. Yes, "ninja stars" are specified in the IC, as are other "shuriken". Butterfly knives aren't shuriken. No weapon should be illegal, as the RKBA doesn't say "except for those that aren't popular or that we don't like."

After some research, it looks like I stand corrected on balisongs (also... I stand corrected on spelling them). Oh well. But I still agree that no weapon should be illegal, so the shuriken sticks.

As far as the "legality of gambling", are you saying that gambling shouldn't be legal, or that it also shouldn't be regulated period, meaning that you could go anywhere and gamble at any time? Since gambling isn't a right, I'd say regulation of that industry is acceptable, due to the fact that non-regulation leads to out and out theft, like those cherry picker machines in bars that can be manipulated to never pay out. Just one example.

I agree about regulation, just like I would about prostitution. If it's a legitimate business, then it's going to be regulated. But, unless I'm reading this wrong, gambling is illegal unless it's riverboat gambling.

Please 'splain your thoughts.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Thank you for your honest, and well explained comments. And I went by your typo on balisongs, so I'm corrected too. And there's no reason to outlaw assisted opening knives, which is probably why it keeps getting killed in the legislature. Some dill-hole has a bug up his six about legislating things they don't like.

If riverboat gambling were the only legal way, then Anderson and Shelbyville have built riverboats on their racetracks (they're not classified as riverboats, btw). That, and the lottery wouldn't be allowed.

Oh, and I can't see your avitar without..."I'm your huckleberry."

rangerobber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    New Carlisle
    This is luckily one of the few laws that is stupid but invalid.

Here is an email I keep handy on the subjects if online vendors don't want to ship things to South Bend.

I will mention that as of the last time I checked no one had been charged with a violation of these codes. If you were you could beat it easily but it may still cost you. I talked to a representative at the South Bend PD and they claim these are valid codes and will be enforced but they haven't been yet. Not sure where that leaves us. I guess I'm going to go about my business and if I ever get picked up for it then I'll deal with it at that point.

I have shown a neighbor who happens to be a cop my AK-converted Saiga and he oohed and aaahed over it and never said a word...*sniff* that was, sadly, before it was lost in a freak boating accident on Lake Michigan.
    Still on the books and the city has no intention of removing it valid or not.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    IC 15-2.1-21-13

b) A person who dyes, stains, or otherwise alters the natural coloring of a bird or rabbit commits a Class B misdemeanor.:laugh:

Might sound stupid until you actually see what people do to baby animals on Easter.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've always been amused by the fact that an 18 year old can get a permit to carry a gun but can't buy the gun or ammo.
    Who said you can't?

You can buy a handgun at 18. State law says 18, federal law says 21. Therefore, when buying from an FFL, you have to be 21, but any private party sale in IN you only have to be 18.

When buying ammo, just tell them its for a rifle/carbine, problem solved. I bought a LOT of .40 S&W "rifle" ammo at Walmart before I turned 21.

Gander Mtn was the only place that gave me a lot of trouble about it, they asked for the model of carbine. I told them Ruger PC40, and they still wouldn't sell it to me. I walked out of there :xmad:. But on another occasion, they happily sold me handgun ammo even though I was under 21 (they even looked at my ID).

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    Who said you can't?

You can buy a handgun at 18. State law says 18, federal law says 21. Therefore, when buying from an FFL, you have to be 21, but any private party sale in IN you only have to be 18.

When buying ammo, just tell them its for a rifle/carbine, problem solved. I bought a LOT of .40 S&W "rifle" ammo at Walmart before I turned 21.

Gander Mtn was the only place that gave me a lot of trouble about it, they asked for the model of carbine. I told them Ruger PC40, and they still wouldn't sell it to me. I walked out of there :xmad:. But on another occasion, they happily sold me handgun ammo even though I was under 21 (they even looked at my ID).
    Yea I'm 20 and like I've mentioned, I've had a LTCH for a bit now but I always thought you had to be 21. Someone brought this up in another thread. Its still silly though.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    IC 15-2.1-21-13

b) A person who dyes, stains, or otherwise alters the natural coloring of a bird or rabbit commits a Class B misdemeanor.:laugh:

I believe this was changed (15-2.1-21-13 Birds or rabbits; sale restricted, exception; discoloring prohibited) and then Repealed by P.L.2-2008, SEC.83

Top Bottom