Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So INGO what would you get?

atis-gsg-stg-44.jpg

STG-44 in .22lr about $600
    A progressife press about $700 with all the shellplates, etc.. for 2 calibers
    Or just continue to save up the money for a .308 rifle About 2K

By the end of feb Iwill have about 1K saved up in my gun/reloading fund.

I have a 10/22 that I do appleseed targets on. I
    I have a single stage press that I reload .45 and .30 carbine
    I do NOT have a .308 rifle

With the way things are going not sure a progressive or .308 rifle will be any good.
    Can't find bullets as we speak for .30 carbine or powder/primers.
    .308 ammo is $$$ if you can find it and Iwould like to reload for it just then again see comment above.
    The STG-44 Ithink is cool, wish I could own the real deal but alas that is never going to happen.

Last edited:

khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    While it is the least fun option, I suggest continuing to save for your .308 rifle. The STG looks like it would be fun, but so is your 10/22. If you have a single stage press, you can reload as components become available.

Since you're looking at a .308, if you can save $2kish, you can get an AR pattern, an M1A or a great bolt gun.

Then you have to start saving for optics!

Regardless, ENJOY!

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    What kind of 308 rifle are we talking about here?

Like an m1a or a super accurate bolt gun?

Because if you're talking about an M1A, HK, scar 17, what are you going to do with that which is not already doable with your AK or M1 carbine?

Yeah, by upping to a 308 you can extend your range and barrier penetration, but you can do a lot more distance a lot more easily with the bolt gun.

Also, while you'd still have to save a bit, you're going to come off cheaper than the stupid inflated prices that "battle rifles" are bringing in. Decent rifle and with good glass you figure $600ish for the rifle and $300-$800 for glass (Good glass).

I don't know just tossing ideas out at you.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    No bolt rifle for me that is for "old folks". ;) & wanna be civilian snipers. :D
    I'm not gonna kill bambi with the .308 either so it's just for plinking.

The .308 I'm looking at either M1A, HK, scar 17 along those lines with iron sights for now. I'm sure one day optics but I would like to go with a .308 rifle to appleseed one day. Those of you that know me, know that for the past 2 years I'm been on the 10/22 platform doing appleseed targets. This year my plan in using the .30 carbine on the targets. The ultimate goal is the .308.

I don't have a NEED for any of these 3 items for SD/SHTF since I have arms for that already. So this list is stuff on the wish list.

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    Save for a M1A, awesome rifle, fun to shoot. Keep saving until the panic buying spree ends. Prices will then come down, more options for you to choose from.

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    Jedi,
    No lie I was in the same boat two weeks ago!

I had some mad money stashed away for something new. Went to one of the local shops I frequent and had seen one of the STG's in the wooden box for $545.

I thought really hard about it went home checked the net to see what others thought about it. So I went back the following day with some cash and looked the rifle over once again.

After long deliberation about it I thought heck for a couple dollars more I can pick up a Dillon 550. I've been using a Dillon Square deal for about twelve years as well as a single stage rock crusher and always wanted a D-550.

So needless to say I turned away from the rifle, jumped on line and brought the Dillon.

How Ironic, I wasn't the only fellow in this dilemma. Anyway good luck on your decision I know exactly what your going through!!

Top Bottom