• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I just got a project gun off a fellow INGOer. A Stevens model 73, same action as a Savage model 63.
    image-1_zps69b040fa.jpg

Although the bluing is a bit rough, it would be fine to leave it as is. This gun is going to be a special gift to my little cousin, so I'm going to pretty it up a bit first.
    The only parts that I needed to replace were the sight step and action screw. I noticed the screw currently in the action was a bit long, having a gasket around it to make up the difference.
    image-1_zps60a66c01.jpg

The only major rust spot I can see is on the butt plate.
    image-1_zps2a0b9c32.jpg

SO, current plans for this gun include:
    Polishing the aluminum receiver and trigger guard
    Rebluing the barrel, bolt, and butt plate
    Cutting down the stock and trimming the butt plate to fit an 11 year old
    Sanding down and refinishing the stock (looks like we're going purple)

I just ordered the replacement parts and bluing kit. I'll try to keep this updated as I start checking things off..

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I'd keep the stock at that length until he held it first. Stocks for older guns are hard to find and when he grows up he may not want a shorter stock. You can take away material, but you can't easily add it back on. Also, don't forget to think about him starting to grow bigger sooner. Just things to think about concerning cutting the stock.

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    UPDATE:
    I started by polishing the butt plate. It was more time inclusive than I meant it to be. I'm going to have to go over it again since I had to grind on it after I cut the stock. Took and inch off.
    I started refinishing the stock tonight. Hit it with 100, 180, 220, then 300 grit. I started ribbing in the rit dye. The color I used was called Wine. It had me worried that it would come put as a cherry color for a while.
    image-1_zpse03860f0.jpg
    finished up by rubbing it down with steel wool to take some of the stain off, then started rubbing it down with tung oil. I have one coat drying on it upstairs.
    I have also started polishing the receiver and trigger guard. Since they are aluminum, they are going to stay shiny.

This is all the progress I have so far.
    image-1_zpsd5444204.jpg

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    So, it seems that the tung oil brought some more brown to the dye. It seems that it will end up looking more like a cherry color.
    I'll take pics after another few layers of the stuff.

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Here is the picture of the finished stock. As you see, its much more red. I might end up using the dye for my mosin, i think if I spread it thin enough, it would look fine...
    I also got the part for the sight today. Probably wont do much else until tomorrow.
    image-1_zps899572c0.jpg

Top Bottom