• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • postmanpwc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I used the search feature and even try to google it but I can't find a reliable answer. It seems alot of other folks are confused aswell.

Anyway I would like to know if conceal carry is legal in Indiana state parks such as Huntington Reservoir (a.k.a. J. Edward Roush Lake)?

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    My understanding is that it used to be illegal (correction: not illegal, "against the rules"... thanks for the clarification below indy_guy_77) to carry in Indiana State Parks, but they changed that a couple of years ago. You can now carry in Indiana State Parks WITH A VALID CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT.

The link below contains language about how you can't carry on an ATV without a concealed carry permit... From that one can infer that you CAN carry with a permit (on an ATV or not).

DNR: Customer Service

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    FYI: It was never ILLEGAL to carry into an Indiana State Park (open or concealed). A few years ago, the director of IDNR rescinded the RULE on State Park carry. It is now OK to carry according to the rules AND the law.

One Big Caveat: A property that is managed by the Army Corps of Engineers is still verboten. I do believe that this is at the Federal level.

IE; Falls of the Ohio State Park in Clarksville = verboten due to its' management by ACoE.

I don't know for sure, but I highly suspect that Huntington Reservior is going to fall into the ACoE rules. Stinky, I know...

There is a Big Gray Area surrounding this: DNR-run camp grounds that are on/adjacent to ACoE-managed reservoirs. Personally, I don't know how to handle this.

-J-

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hello, post. Yes, the IDNR administrative rule was rescinded by Mitch back in 2007 (aided by several INGO members) for State Parks. Ask Mr. Google, he'll find a bunch of articles for you.

You can look at the various state parks websites. Here's one of my family's favorite places, McCormick Creek State Park:

"Any firearm (except validly licensed handguns), BB gun, air gun, CO[SIZE=-1]2[/SIZE] gun, bow and arrow, or spear gun in possession in a state park must be unloaded or un-locked and stored in a case or locked within a vehicle except when participating in an activity authorized by written permit."

McCormick's Creek State Park, Indiana (emphasis added).

citizenvain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Some State Parks have their own rules though that you must follow, and like anything else, confusing. This is from the Brown County State Park website:
    2. Any firearm, BB gun, air gun, CO2 gun, bow and arrow, or spear gun in possession in a state park must be unloaded or un-nocked and stored in a case or locked within a vehicle except when participating in an activity authorized by written permit.

Source: Hiking Trails in Brown County State Park - Southern Indiana Hiking Trails

So the way I'm reading that is that you CANNOT carry there. Or am I reading that wrong? Unless that "written permit" thing applies to our carry permit? But the way the prior text is written, I do not think it means that. Anyone else have a different interpretation for this one?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Some State Parks have their own rules though that you must follow, and like anything else, confusing. This is from the Brown County State Park website:

Source: Hiking Trails in Brown County State Park - Southern Indiana Hiking Trails

So the way I'm reading that is that you CANNOT carry there. Or am I reading that wrong? Unless that "written permit" thing applies to our carry permit? But the way the prior text is written, I do not think it means that. Anyone else have a different interpretation for this one?

The parks can't make their own rules...

But many of them (wrongly, IMO) aren't updating their websites and/or printed literature to reflect the changes to the administrative rules.

-J-

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think last time I was at BCSP their literature mentions the legality of carrying.

Before Mitch rescinded, I saw a guy OPEN CARRYING at Spring Mill SP with no one paying attention to him at all.

postmanpwc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hmm...last thing I want is my permit revoked because of unclear "rules" lol. I guess the best thing I can do is call the place and ask but then again...they probably have multiple phone numbers. I'll see if I can hunt down the right person to give a definitive yes or no. Basically I'm planning to go there for the gun range and might take a look around aswell but I don't like the feeling being out in the woods without a firearm of some sort.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Each state park has it's own web-page that will have the main office phone number on it.

Call them up to inquire how much, if any, of the property is under the regulation of the ACoE?

As do many folks, I think that the whole "Yes, you can legally carry in State Parks as long as it's not an ACoE controlled one" is a bunch of bunk. Either we ARE or we AREN'T.

It might be a little easier if there were a way to determine which are ACoE properties and which aren't. At least I haven't been able to find it! *sigh*

-J-

Top Bottom